• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smoking ban begins today in Washington, DC!

galenrox said:
My anger's not towards you, you know I love you, my anger is towards the immaturity of the thought process that leads to these smoking bans.

But let me get this straight, you think the problem is that I am doing something that only really hurts me, but it annoys you, right?

See, this is a fundamental difference in thought process, I see the problem as people coming in and saying "We don't like a certain legal activity, but not so much that we'll actually dedicate the slightest amount of effort to solve this problem, even if it's as simple as making it profitable to run a bar that is catering to people who don't like to be around this legal activity, so instead we'll just have some politicians tell private business owners that they cannot allow this legal activity inside their own private property."

Let's go back to the example of mesturation, how would you react if they passed a law banning women mensturating in bars, because people like me don't like being around period blood?

Period blood? That's like saying *** blood. It's all the same blood no matter where in your body it comes from. Blood circulates.

It's the Republican Censurship Brigade and the Political Correctness Squad that are trying to ban certain activities that are legal. You ban cigs then you'll have early 1900's Prohibition all over again. And boy was that a mess!

Donkey1499 said:
And don't use big words that I can't understand. "Very" is a very hard word to understand.
lol, ZING!!!

I am a reformed smoker and it does bug me to be around cigarette smoke now. I avoid it whenever possible.

I am also a self-proclaimed missionary attempting to spread the rewards and benefits of not smoking as much as I can without being overly obnoxious.

I think it is fine for government to ban smoking in schools, hospitals, public buildings where ALL the public, smokers and non smokers alike, may need to be. I don't even have a huge problem with them banning smoking in public parks for the same reasons, though I do think that is pretty silly and overkill.

I am 100% opposed to government telling any private business establishment that it must ban smoking when doing business there is purely optional. Make the proprietor post a sign at the front door that smoking inside is allowed. That would be okay. Allow insurance companies to jack up workers compensation premiums for employers who allow smoking in the workplace. No problem there. I don't object to a requirement that children not be exposed to excessive second hand smoke.

But tell a private business owner that s/he cannot allow use of a legal substance inside a building that s/he owns while operating a legal business that is his/her livelihood? No way should that stand.

It will be no time at all that smoking inside your car will be illegal--you might transport a non smoking passenger. Smoking inside your own home will be illegal--you might have a nonsmoking visitor.

When there are too few smokers to make smoking establishments profitable, the business owner will generally opt for nonsmoking policy on his own.

Until then, how many of us go to bars for our health anyway?

AlbqOwl said:

I go there to have fun, drink some, and to socialize. I don't want to have to worry about getting lung cancer because some idiot is standing beside me smoking or my clothes smelling like they were caught in an incinerator.

AlbqOwl said:
I am a reformed smoker and it does bug me to be around cigarette smoke now. I avoid it whenever possible.

I am also a self-proclaimed missionary attempting to spread the rewards and benefits of not smoking as much as I can without being overly obnoxious.

I think it is fine for government to ban smoking in schools, hospitals, public buildings where ALL the public, smokers and non smokers alike, may need to be. I don't even have a huge problem with them banning smoking in public parks for the same reasons, though I do think that is pretty silly and overkill.

I am 100% opposed to government telling any private business establishment that it must ban smoking when doing business there is purely optional. Make the proprietor post a sign at the front door that smoking inside is allowed. That would be okay. Allow insurance companies to jack up workers compensation premiums for employers who allow smoking in the workplace. No problem there. I don't object to a requirement that children not be exposed to excessive second hand smoke.

But tell a private business owner that s/he cannot allow use of a legal substance inside a building that s/he owns while operating a legal business that is his/her livelihood? No way should that stand.

It will be no time at all that smoking inside your car will be illegal--you might transport a non smoking passenger. Smoking inside your own home will be illegal--you might have a nonsmoking visitor.

When there are too few smokers to make smoking establishments profitable, the business owner will generally opt for nonsmoking policy on his own.

AlbqOwl, intelligent and wise as usual. The King of Acirema smiles upon you.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

George_Washington said:
I go there to have fun, drink some, and to socialize. I don't want to have to worry about getting lung cancer because some idiot is standing beside me smoking or my clothes smelling like they were caught in an incinerator.

Go outside and the air pollution will give ya lung cancer as well, but should we ban automoblies? HELL NO!

Cell phones supposedly give ya ear cancer, but should we ban cell phones? HELL NO!

galenrox said:
My anger's not towards you, you know I love you, my anger is towards the immaturity of the thought process that leads to these smoking bans.

But let me get this straight, you think the problem is that I am doing something that only really hurts me, but it annoys you, right?

See, this is a fundamental difference in thought process, I see the problem as people coming in and saying "We don't like a certain legal activity, but not so much that we'll actually dedicate the slightest amount of effort to solve this problem, even if it's as simple as making it profitable to run a bar that is catering to people who don't like to be around this legal activity, so instead we'll just have some politicians tell private business owners that they cannot allow this legal activity inside their own private property."

Let's go back to the example of mesturation, how would you react if they passed a law banning women mensturating in bars, because people like me don't like being around period blood?

Okay. Then you can take your anger out on me as long as I know it's not personal.

galenrox, the menstruation thing is just not comparable. I cannot control that kind of thing. That's like saying that men with circumsized penises cannot go to a bar. Sorry, but you can't get that skin back, just like I can't prevent myself from menstruating. LOL

On a serious note, I would support the allowance of places to allow smoking as long as there were enough places where no smoking was allowed. I am still starry-eyed about my evening with my friend in Seattle where I got to sit in the bar area and drink a glass of wine and breathe fresh air. *sigh*

Donkey1499 said:
Go outside and the air pollution will give ya lung cancer as well, but should we ban automoblies? HELL NO!

Cell phones supposedly give ya ear cancer, but should we ban cell phones? HELL NO!

But think how inconsiderate it is for somebody to smoke around you, when you yourself don't smoke and don't want to inhale smoke.

George_Washington said:
But think how inconsiderate it is for somebody to smoke around you, when you yourself don't smoke and don't want to inhale smoke.

I don''t want to inhale carbon monoxide, but I have to in order to get to school everyday. You know, Clinton "Didn't inhale" but he still got into trouble. Smoking in a bar (And I mean a real bar, with dart boards, pool tables, calandars with women, farting and belching, you know a REAL bar) is just what part of the atmosphere of a bar is. Now, if you don't want to inhale smoke, like Clinton, then go to one of those yuppie, college pansy, dance clubs. Smoking and drinking is what goes on in a REAL BAR.

Donkey1499 said:
AlbqOwl, intelligent and wise as usual. The King of Acirema smiles upon you.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Danke kind sir. (I think--not sure who this Acrirema dude is :))

Rather than banning smoking in private establishments, I wonder why some smart government officials haven't figured out they could issue licenses for cigarette use just like they do for anybody selling and/or serving liquor? Most places serving liquor don't let you bring your own bottle. They could just as easily require you to buy your cigs and cigars from them if you're gonna smoke while chomping on your high fat prime rib with french fries. That could be a real revenue booster for the business AND the state. :)

aps said:
Okay. Then you can take your anger out on me as long as I know it's not personal.

galenrox, the menstruation thing is just not comparable. I cannot control that kind of thing. That's like saying that men with circumsized penises cannot go to a bar. Sorry, but you can't get that skin back, just like I can't prevent myself from menstruating. LOL

On a serious note, I would support the allowance of places to allow smoking as long as there were enough places where no smoking was allowed. I am still starry-eyed about my evening with my friend in Seattle where I got to sit in the bar area and drink a glass of wine and breathe fresh air. *sigh*
See, I'm still upset about my night in Seattle when I had to stand out in the rain because not only I wasn't allowed to smoke in the bar, but the law was written so I couldn't even legally stand under the awning while smoking.

And I'm gonna stick with the menstration thing, because I had developed a physical addiction to smoking at a younger age than women start menstrating, so thus smoking is by now just as much of a part of my biology as menstrating is part of yours. There are pills or shots you could take to stop yourself from menstrating, just as much as there are pills and shots I could get to alleviate my physical addiction to cigarettes.
The only difference between the two is that you were definately gonna start menstrating eventually, while I was only probably gonna start smoking.:2wave:

But what you said at the end, about the you being fine with smoking in bars as long as there are enough bars that don't allow smoking, I've got no problem with that (except I don't think it should be legislated). The people within this movement could've easily done this if their judgement wasn't clouded with liberalism. If everyone who's celebrating the anti-smoking legislation had just gone to bars that didn't allow smoking, and made it more profitable for bars to not allow smoking, they wouldn't allow smoking. I've got no problem with bars or restraunts deciding independently that they don't want to allow smoking. It'll definately play a factor in whether or not I choose to go there, but I'd still have no problem with it.

AlbqOwl said:
Danke kind sir. (I think--not sure who this Acrirema dude is :))

Rather than banning smoking in private establishments, I wonder why some smart government officials haven't figured out they could issue licenses for cigarette use just like they do for anybody selling and/or serving liquor? Most places serving liquor don't let you bring your own bottle. They could just as easily require you to buy your cigs and cigars from them if you're gonna smoke while chomping on your high fat prime rib with french fries. That could be a real revenue booster for the business AND the state. :)

Acirema is just America spelled backwards, which is what I'd call this country if given the opportunity to rule it.

Licences sound ok. But some libs might not like that because businesses aren't supposed to make extra revenue, unless you tax the hell out of the service.

galenrox said:
See, I'm still upset about my night in Seattle when I had to stand out in the rain because not only I wasn't allowed to smoke in the bar, but the law was written so I couldn't even legally stand under the awning while smoking.

And I'm gonna stick with the menstration thing, because I had developed a physical addiction to smoking at a younger age than women start menstrating, so thus smoking is by now just as much of a part of my biology as menstrating is part of yours. There are pills or shots you could take to stop yourself from menstrating, just as much as there are pills and shots I could get to alleviate my physical addiction to cigarettes.
The only difference between the two is that you were definately gonna start menstrating eventually, while I was only probably gonna start smoking.:2wave:

But what you said at the end, about the you being fine with smoking in bars as long as there are enough bars that don't allow smoking, I've got no problem with that (except I don't think it should be legislated). The people within this movement could've easily done this if their judgement wasn't clouded with liberalism. If everyone who's celebrating the anti-smoking legislation had just gone to bars that didn't allow smoking, and made it more profitable for bars to not allow smoking, they wouldn't allow smoking. I've got no problem with bars or restraunts deciding independently that they don't want to allow smoking. It'll definately play a factor in whether or not I choose to go there, but I'd still have no problem with it.

Stand out in the rain? Dude, that must've sucked horribly! By the way, when you were out in the rain did you bring a bar of soap? :mrgreen:

p189.jpg

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!!

galenrox said:

galenrox, I cannot wait for the day I won't menstruate anymore. Hmmm, which is better? Not menstruating or drinking a glass of wine in a smokeless bar? ;)

aps said:
galenrox, I cannot wait for the day I won't menstruate anymore. Hmmm, which is better? Not menstruating or drinking a glass of wine in a smokeless bar? ;)
I just checked with my girlfriend, she says that there are pills to stop menstruation, birth control pills (she disagrees with the analogy, but doesn't have any reason why)

I just can't tolerate people who want everyone to be like them, smell like them, and a act like them, I am disappointed in you that can't except people for who they are.:(

Last edited:
galenrox said:
I just checked with my girlfriend, she says that there are pills to stop menstruation, birth control pills (she disagrees with the analogy, but doesn't have any reason why)

birth control pills stop ovulation--not menstruation. :2wave:

Deegan said:
I just can't tolerate people who want everyone to be like them, smell like them, and a act like them, I am disappointed in you that can't except people for who they are.:(

Me? I can accept people for who they are. You, however, cannot since you're attacking me for being who I am.

aps said:
Me? I can accept people for who they are. You, however, cannot since you're attacking me for being who I am.

Oh gosh, I said except, when I was trying to accept, anywho, huh?

I can not accept you as a hater, no, I can't. Who are you, better then me because I smoke a cigar, and you want me no where near anyone like me, or with my friends who enjoy the same practice? Who are you, I thought I knew you, but you want me to bow down to your agenda, I won't, I can't, it's a matter of rights, and I can't bend to your idea of those rights.

I'll miss you aps.:(

Deegan said:
Oh gosh, I said except, when I was trying to accept, anywho, huh?

I can not accept you as a hater, no, I can't. Who are you, better then me because I smoke a cigar, and you want me no where near anyone like me, or with my friends who enjoy the same practice? Who are you, I thought I knew you, but you want me to bow down to your agenda, I won't, I can't, it's a matter of rights, and I can't bend to your idea of those rights.

I'll miss you aps.:(

Huh? What do you mean you'll miss me? Deegan, you can smoke cigars all you want--I just won't hang out with you while you're doing it. I have a friend who engages in threesomes with her husband. I don't like it (because she does it solely to appease her husband), but I accept her for it, and I certainly wouldn't hang out with her while she is engaging in a threesome with her husband. It's no different. If this is a make-or-break situation between us, then you're not the person I though you were.

George_Washington said:

Then go to a non smoking restaurant or bar. I don't want to have my freedoms curtailed by some idiot that can't make his own decisions

George_Washington said:

Then D-O-N-'T G-O T-H-E-R-E......

Think how inconsiderate it is to force your ideals on someone because you are unwilling to make a decision or choice to NOT go into an establishment

Back
Top Bottom