• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smoking ban begins today in Washington, DC!

I'm happy as long as we make sure the government is there to make decisions for me as to were I should eat and were I can drink. As an adult I find it very burdensome to have to make basic life decisions on my own. So I think it is a treat when I can have local governments make those basic everyday life choices for me. Next I think we should outlaw all car colors but black and red. This will eliminate choices and stress and make people healthier in the long run

GarzaUK said:
The main reason is to get people healthier.

In the Republic of Ireland where it is banned. People quitting smoking has happened at a faster rate. The ban has encouraged people to quit smoking and surely that is a good thing.

I could say to you the opposite "If you like smoking so much it really shouldn't be a problem for you to smoke it in fresh air. Goodness knows smokers need it.

I find it funny that smokers refuse to inconvience themselves to walk out (maybe 20 yards) out of a building, but they rather endanger the lives of their friends and collegues. Are you really that lazy and uncaring??

Well the difference being is that if you go to a non smoking establishment you are:
1) Making your own decision were to go and spend your time and MONEY
2) Are in the establishment of your choice because it meets your needs and you don't have to leave it
3) You are not relying on local government to make basic life decisions for you
4) Your making a choice
5) Your making your own choice
6) Your making your own choice by your little ole self

I am not saying it is not harmful aps, but I am convinced these studies are flawed, and that drinking once a week in a bar full of smoke, will not only not kill you, but will have little to no affect on you at all. How in the heck did we all survive the past hundred years? Everyone smoked, and the numbers didn't at all indicate the inflated numbers we see today, and that is with smoking cut in half. No, this is a scare tactic, and I don't resent that, I think it's good to tell kids this stuff, but to try and pass this off on me as fact, lol, not going to happen.

Most smokers are all for a ban in public buildings, restaurants, malls, almost everywhere. All we ask is to keep our cigar bars, and other meeting places, it's not much to ask, and I think you non-smokers will manage to survive.:roll:

cnredd said:
I got no problems telling...It was a total idiotic move though...June, 2001...

I live next to a field...Lots of small critters...One jumped out in front of the road, and instead of continuing on, I tried to swerve out of the way...I lost control and hit the curb...

I don't remember hitting the tree...and there were no skidmarks, so we are under the assumption that when I hit the curb, my face hit the steering wheel and knocked me out(no airbags)...I never saw the aftermath of the car later on, but I was told that I hit the tree so hard, the headlights were almost touching each other on the other side of the tree...my car looked like a scorpion...

When I woke up...my head on the driverside window...The first thing I noticed was that I was missing teeth...I looked over to my right side and the engine was sitting next to me...a foot or two over and that's the end of me...

I tried to get my seatbelt off...I lifted my right arm...Everything from my elbow up moved...the rest of my arm didn't...

That was when I panicked...I took the seatbelt off with my other arm, opened the door, and fell out...Looking down, I kinda noticed that my right foot was...what's that word?...oh yeah...backward...

Here's the good part...Really shows what you can do when you need to...

I got up on my good foot(James Brown!), and proceeding to WALK to my friend's house...while keeping my arm from dangling like a dead branch...

I knocked(guess which arm?), and refused to sit down on the couch until he got a towel...really weird that I still had the gumption to do that...

I sat down while he called the ambulance...When they showed up(One of them was a past neighbor...small world), I actually walked down the steps to save time getting into the stretcher...I got into the ambulance...

And that was that...

I woke up 9 days later from a coma...They said that the last few days they decided to keep me in a coma so my body could heal without me going through more hell, so I don't know how long the legit coma was...

While in the hospital, my lungs went haywire...I ended up contracting pneumonia, and it was so bad that I was intibated for a couple of weeks...No talking, drinking, or eating...NOT FUN...My best friend gave me a chart with the alphabet and numbers and a stick so I could use my left hand to point to letters and communicate...

The stats?...8 broken bones in my face...put back together with titanium plates and screws...Two rods in my right arm...both were snapped...The only thing keeping the arm intact was muscle and skin...And a pin in my right ankle...It was, as the doctors said, "detached"...2 teeth missing, 2 almost missing, and two chipped...Did I mention I lost my glasses?...:doh

I spent three weeks at that one hospital, then moved to another one for a week of therapy...Had to learn how to use my arm again...

My best friend has a house which is all on one floor, and I was going to be in a wheelchair for another month, so I lived there...

End result?...

Uneven sidewalks kill my ankle, like most people, but otherwise normal...

My arm itself is normal, but I have nerve damage in my right hand...Ulnar Nerve Hand Claw...My ring finger and pinkie are about 70%, with "pins and needles" running through them 24/7...for the rest of my friggin' life...The only time it feels ok is when I'm not thinking about it...

Scars above and below both my eyes...without glasses on I look like a raccoon:( ...nerve damage above my upper lip and right temple..."pins and needles"...see above...6 new front teeth all on the top...canine to canine...

I'm should sue my plastic surgeon...I'm gonna go up to the judge and say, "Your honor...I look like ME!"...The judge'll say, "Pay the man."...;)

There...Is that enough info for ya?...:2wave:
HAHAHAHA! SUCKER!!!

Learning how to use **** again sucks, I had to do that for my right hand when I was 7 or so, and that pins and needles **** is annoying as hell!

GarzaUK said:
The main reason is to get people healthier.

In the Republic of Ireland where it is banned. People quitting smoking has happened at a faster rate. The ban has encouraged people to quit smoking and surely that is a good thing.

I could say to you the opposite "If you like smoking so much it really shouldn't be a problem for you to smoke it in fresh air. Goodness knows smokers need it.

I find it funny that smokers refuse to inconvience themselves to walk out (maybe 20 yards) out of a building, but they rather endanger the lives of their friends and collegues. Are you really that lazy and uncaring??
yeah, but dude, at least in Ireland they're ****ing considerate about it, with the outdoor smoking area with heaters and something to cover for the rain, tables to sit down at and such. You see, THERE it's actually about health, HERE it's about liberals who want legislative proof that they're more valuable than me.

galenrox said:
HAHAHAHA! SUCKER!!!

Learning how to use **** again sucks, I had to do that for my right hand when I was 7 or so, and that pins and needles **** is annoying as hell!
Very much so...

I would love to invent a machine that massages my hand constantly...

cnredd said:
Very much so...

wait....stratch that, reverse it!:lol:

cnredd said:
Very much so...

The worst is when you get a cut on a pins and needles area. The place I've got them the worst is on my right middle finger (luckily I'm left handed!), and whenever I get a cut on it, it's not that it hurts that much, it's just ****ing weird feeling.

galenrox said:
The worst is when you get a cut on a pins and needles area. The place I've got them the worst is on my right middle finger (luckily I'm left handed!), and whenever I get a cut on it, it's not that it hurts that much, it's just ****ing weird feeling.
I got one worse...

Jamming a finger...:eek:

cnredd said:
I got one worse...

Jamming a finger...:eek:
<shivers> yuck!

galenrox said:
<shivers> yuck!
My "hand claw" is barely noticable anymore, but for awhile it looked like rigor mortis crept in...

I have great friends...They were calling me "Lobster Boy"...:doh

cnredd said:
My "hand claw" is barely noticable anymore, but for awhile it looked like rigor mortis crept in...

I have great friends...They were calling me "Lobster Boy"...:doh
lol, you're damn right!

Calm2Chaos said:
I'm happy as long as we make sure the government is there to make decisions for me as to were I should eat and were I can drink. As an adult I find it very burdensome to have to make basic life decisions on my own. So I think it is a treat when I can have local governments make those basic everyday life choices for me. Next I think we should outlaw all car colors but black and red. This will eliminate choices and stress and make people healthier in the long run

Gee, what a novel idea. I think I'll agree with you on that one. More government control of our lives is better. Decisions are very tiresom. :roll: :mrgreen:

Deegan said:
I am not saying it is not harmful aps, but I am convinced these studies are flawed, and that drinking once a week in a bar full of smoke, will not only not kill you, but will have little to no affect on you at all. How in the heck did we all survive the past hundred years? Everyone smoked, and the numbers didn't at all indicate the inflated numbers we see today, and that is with smoking cut in half. No, this is a scare tactic, and I don't resent that, I think it's good to tell kids this stuff, but to try and pass this off on me as fact, lol, not going to happen.

Hmmmm, okay, there, Mr. I-refuse-to-accept-evidence-which-does-not-substantiate-my-assertion.

Most smokers are all for a ban in public buildings, restaurants, malls, almost everywhere. All we ask is to keep our cigar bars, and other meeting places, it's not much to ask, and I think you non-smokers will manage to survive.:roll:

I support the cigar bars and bars that would cater to smokers, Mr. Eye-roller. ;)

aps said:
Hmmmm, okay, there, Mr. I-refuse-to-accept-evidence-which-does-not-substantiate-my-assertion.

I support the cigar bars and bars that would cater to smokers, Mr. Eye-roller. ;)
So you support there being certain bars that are made expressly for smokers? Then how come you also support this legislation? Because more bars decided it was economical to cater to us instead of you?

galenrox said:
So you support there being certain bars that are made expressly for smokers? Then how come you also support this legislation? Because more bars decided it was economical to cater to us instead of you?

BINGO

**Points to nose**

galenrox said:

I support the legislation because I really can't stand how I cannot go into a bar and have a beer or even just hang out with friends who are drinking without being surrounded by cigarette smoke. Yes, I know I can choose to NOT go to happy hours and such, which is what I do now (I rarely go to happy hour with my friends). So for me, the thought of going and hanging out with my friends and having a beer in a bar and NOT being surrounded by cigarette smoke is heaven.

The ban has taken effect for restaurants that do or do not have bars only. In January 2007, the ban takes effect on bars (bars that are solely bars and not part of a restaurant). I don't think it would be practical to allow some places to cater to smokers because of the effect it would have on those places that don't cater to smokers. If smokers cannot smoke in all bars, they won't be discriminating against the bars that don't allow smoking.

When I was in Seattle (which recently banned smoking from all bars and restaurants), I asked one of the places I went to if their business had been affected by the ban. The owner told me that it had had no impact since smokers could not smoke in any restaurant.

aps said:
I support the legislation because I really can't stand how I cannot go into a bar and have a beer or even just hang out with friends who are drinking without being surrounded by cigarette smoke. Yes, I know I can choose to NOT go to happy hours and such, which is what I do now (I rarely go to happy hour with my friends). So for me, the thought of going and hanging out with my friends and having a beer in a bar and NOT being surrounded by cigarette smoke is heaven.

The ban has taken effect for restaurants that do or do not have bars only. In January 2007, the ban takes effect on bars (bars that are solely bars and not part of a restaurant). I don't think it would be practical to allow some places to cater to smokers because of the effect it would have on those places that don't cater to smokers. If smokers cannot smoke in all bars, they won't be discriminating against the bars that don't allow smoking.

When I was in Seattle (which recently banned smoking from all bars and restaurants), I asked one of the places I went to if their business had been affected by the ban. The owner told me that it had had no impact since smokers could not smoke in any restaurant.

This is still gov't control. They're telling the owners how to run their business and that ain't right. With all this banning, and political correctness and censorship we'll be just like Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia in no time!

I sympathize with the non-smoker who goes to the bar and comes home smelling like an ashtray however, around here, if you shut down the smoking, you essentially will be shutting down the bars as the business loss would put them under. So, now, nobody gets to go to the bars.

I think it should be optional. Also, it's hard to take anyone serious who sits on a barstool, doing damage to their brain, heart and liver while consuming massive quanities of beer, and then complains about second hand smoke.

If you don't want to patronize bars that allow smoking, don't.

Captain America said:
I sympathize with the non-smoker who goes to the bar and comes home smelling like an ashtray however, around here, if you shut down the smoking, you essentially will be shutting down the bars as the business loss would put them under. So, now, nobody gets to go to the bars.

I think it should be optional. Also, it's hard to take anyone serious who sits on a barstool, doing damage to their brain, heart and liver while consuming massive quanities of beer, and then complains about second hand smoke.

You're assuming that people are going to bars to get drunk. I usually have one beer over a two-hour period. My friends drink more than I do, but they're not getting drunk. So your assumptions are just that--assumptions.

New York City has passed a ban on smoking, and their businesses have not suffered.

aps said:
You're assuming that people are going to bars to get drunk. I usually have one beer over a two-hour period. My friends drink more than I do, but they're not getting drunk. So your assumptions are just that--assumptions.

New York City has passed a ban on smoking, and their businesses have not suffered.

Believe me, around here, in beer capitol USA, that is no assumption. However, I am sure there are a handful that do not go to the bar to get drunk so your point is well taken. But here, that's like one out of 30 people....
:drink

aps said:

So what you seem to be saying is you can't have some places cater to smokers because thats were the people would go and the non smoking facilities would not have as big a crowd??? SO again your making decisions for me. Or your having local government do it. If non smoking was that big of an issue I don't see what "effect" it would have on these establishments. Surely every non smoker would go to them and leave the smoking bars to the minority smokers. Meaning the majority of the people would be in the non smoking facility. If this is the case then there would be NO effect on these places. If this isn't the case then the local government is forcing PRIVATE business owners to change the way they do business for absolutely no legitimate or legal reason. Or just to appease some whiners because they are forced to make a decision on where to go to eat or drink at night.....

Captain America said:
Believe me, around here, in beer capitol USA, that is no assumption. However, I am sure there are a handful that do not go to the bar to get drunk so your point is well taken. But here, that's like one out of 30 people....
:drink

What, are y'all Irish? :mrgreen:

Captain America said:

That would be making a personal decision and thats to hard. It's easier to make everyone conform to one stream of thought and one idea. That way there is no decision process needed.

aps said:

So why not go to a non smoking facility bar or restaurant. Unless you live in the backwoods there should be a few around. Unless of course your friends just like the atmosphere at that place better. 1 beer every 2 hours...... they would prefer you stay home anyway...LOL

By the way they passed a smoking ban in Delaware and it killed a lot of small bars and restaurants. Along the state border a number of the restaurants closed. I'm sure those owners were happy about the smoking ban

Back
Top Bottom