• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smokers

would you fire your employees for smoking?

• yes

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • no

Votes: 45 88.2%

• Total voters
RightatNYU said:
Is virulent Anti-Americanism just part of your daily life or what? I'm beginning to think you're a little bit bigoted...

Think what you like love. You usually get it wrong, so who gives a flying f*** anyway?

I think my position is clear to anybody who's read my posts, and actually understands the English language. I loath and detest the US political machine, the years of arrogance in US foreign policy, the hypocrisy of a nation which thinks it's the land of the free when it's one of the most oppressive régimes on earth, and US cultural hegemony.

As for indiviual United Statesians, I don't judge on nationality alone. There are some highly intelligent ones on this very forum whom I like and respect (for example anomaly, Contrarion, even pacridge has grown on me), but sadly the majority have a habit of turning out like yourselves and fantasea, to fulfil every low expectation the rest of the world has about the US and its people.

Urethra Franklin said:
Think what you like love. You usually get it wrong, so who gives a flying f*** anyway?

I think my position is clear to anybody who's read my posts, and actually understands the English language. I loath and detest the US political machine, the years of arrogance in US foreign policy, the hypocrisy of a nation which thinks it's the land of the free when it's one of the most oppressive régimes on earth, and US cultural hegemony.

As for indiviual United Statesians, I don't judge on nationality alone. There are some highly intelligent ones on this very forum whom I like and respect (for example anomaly, Contrarion, even pacridge has grown on me), but sadly the majority have a habit of turning out like yourselves and fantasea, to fulfil every low expectation the rest of the world has about the US and its people.

And you're the perfect example of someone who refuses to see past their blind hatred of the US, blaming us for the problems of the world. Despite your refusal to claim a nation, I can confidently say that your country most likely has problems at well. Yet you ignore them, and the many problems of other countries, to instead focus on a scapegoat.

Also interesting how your determination of intelligence rests solely on political alignment.

I would venture that Pacridge is one of the smartest people on here, but he must have been a bit too moderate on a few things for you.

RightatNYU said:
And you're the perfect example of someone who refuses to see past their blind hatred of the US, blaming us for the problems of the world. Despite your refusal to claim a nation, I can confidently say that your country most likely has problems at well. Yet you ignore them, and the many problems of other countries, to instead focus on a scapegoat.

Also interesting how your determination of intelligence rests solely on political alignment.

I would venture that Pacridge is one of the smartest people on here, but he must have been a bit too moderate on a few things for you.

See Urethra... I knew I was one of your favorites! However, they don't call me the Contrarian from nothing!

It is totally unfair to generalize that the entire US is the evil empire, any more than it was fair for many Americans to condemn the French or all Arabs. Every group will have their extremes. There are plenty of hypocritical morons on both sides of the pond and on both sides of every issue. My personal belief is that 80% of the population (in any country) is basically ignorant lacks ability for reasoned thought. It has nothing to do with political alignment, race, gender, sexual preference, religion etc. As the great Forrest Gump said... "Stupid is as stupid does". By the way, some of us Americans are quite brilliant, dashing and good looking and defy the warnings of Fants country singer in appreciating fine whiskey and wicked women! :eek:

NYU is correct in his opinion that one's intellect cannot be judged by their political alignment, however I think what is missing here is the understanding by conservatives of the concept of individual rights. Conservatives by nature have a more restrictive (hah conservative!) value system and don't understand why everyone cannot conform. Liberal freethinkers however, celebrate the uniqueness of every individual and value their ability to express themselves and live their lives as they choose. It's a left brain right brain concept. Because someone is a good student, well grounded in facts and figures, does not necessarily make them capable of open mindedness. In the same respect someone can be a liberal thinker, but totally incapable of defending their opinion with factual reasoning. The yin and yang of life.

By the way dear lady... VIctorian morality and Puritan ethics came from your side of the pond. Perhaps I should blame this whole mess on your ancestors? :rolleyes:

Urethra Franklin said:
Thank you Fant. Those lyrics have left me feeling truly uplifted.
It's gratifying to know that, for I do try to be supportive. However, I sometimes get the feeling I'm just being used -- like a worn out Victoria's Secret Wonder Bra.

Urethra Franklin said:

I understand your position and, quite frankly, I empathize with all those on the outside, looking in.

To be a part of the nation which over several centuries has evolved into the greatest nation on earth, whose generosity knows no bounds, whose concern for freedom the world over is unmatched, whose people have every opportunity to pursue their dreams, has long been, and still is, the quest of would-be emigrants from every corner of the world.

Mock if you wish. However, your complaints ring hollow.

Fantasea said:
I understand your position and, quite frankly, I empathize with all those on the outside, looking in.

To be a part of the nation which over several centuries has evolved into the greatest nation on earth, whose generosity knows no bounds, whose concern for freedom the world over is unmatched, whose people have every opportunity to pursue their dreams, has long been, and still is, the quest of would-be emigrants from every corner of the world.

Mock if you wish. However, your complaints ring hollow.
Generosity knows no bounds? Tell that to the people of Latin America, who for decades have been the recipients of hyper-capitalist expnsion. In Cuba, we attempted to overthrow Castro in '61, when his was an extremely popular regime. A little later, we successfully overthrew Allende in Chile, he was democratically elected. Similar things happened in Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala. Many a Latin American peasant has lost land as a result of a US based company outsourcing a factory (Brazil). Many in China work toilessly in a dirty factory for meager pay for a US company. In South Vietnam we created a country and stopped democratic elections from taking place. In Greece we put down a revolutionary movement. The reason people hate the USA is this arrogance we have, that we know better than a countries' own people, that we are the ones to police the world.

anomaly said:
Generosity knows no bounds? Tell that to the people of Latin America, who for decades have been the recipients of hyper-capitalist expnsion. In Cuba, we attempted to overthrow Castro in '61, when his was an extremely popular regime. A little later, we successfully overthrew Allende in Chile, he was democratically elected. Similar things happened in Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala. Many a Latin American peasant has lost land as a result of a US based company outsourcing a factory (Brazil). Many in China work toilessly in a dirty factory for meager pay for a US company. In South Vietnam we created a country and stopped democratic elections from taking place. In Greece we put down a revolutionary movement. The reason people hate the USA is this arrogance we have, that we know better than a countries' own people, that we are the ones to police the world.

You're going to blame China's poor worker rights conditions on the US? How about the oppressive Chinese economy?

And to clue you in, South Vietnam doesn't exist because hippies did what no other country could do: defeat the US army.

RightatNYU said:
You're going to blame China's poor worker rights conditions on the US? How about the oppressive Chinese economy?

And to clue you in, South Vietnam doesn't exist because hippies did what no other country could do: defeat the US army.
It is directly because of the US's obvious support for 'the free market' that businesses are able to go overseas, that they are able to globalize for the gain of profit. We constructed NAFTA, we are the one who have sanctions on many countries, and we are the ones largely responsible for capitalism going global, we have lost control of it. But, capitalism has indeed gone global, and before you cry bloody murder, I will place equal blame on every country for allowing capitalism. But again, no country is pushing capitalism has heavily as the USA.

And I think you miss my point about South Vietnam. The Pantagon Papers makes clear that "South Vietnam was essentially a creation of the USA". The entire war could have been prevented had we let the scheduled elections take place. The problem is that people in South Vietnam would have voted for Ho Chi Minh, and we could not allow this.

anomaly said:
I don't know; maybe it's my hearing, but you'll have to speak louder and more slowly because I think I'm hearing you repeat the same thing for the umpteenth time and I was hoping for something new since I'm tired of repeating myself. Perhaps what would help would be a rubber stamp with the letters R E P E A Ton it so that I could just smack it on your posts.

Fantasea said:
I don't know; maybe it's my hearing, but you'll have to speak louder and more slowly because I think I'm hearing you repeat the same thing for the umpteenth time and I was hoping for something new since I'm tired of repeating myself. Perhaps what would help would be a rubber stamp with the letters R E P E A Ton it so that I could just smack it on your posts.
Classical conditioning has proved effective before. I'd rather you hear the same thing over and over, instead of saying things like 'the USA is the most generous country in the world'. Seeing as you, a seemingly educated person could say that, I had to repeat myself.

RightatNYU said:
And you're the perfect example of someone who refuses to see past their blind hatred of the US,.

It's you who can't seem to separate hatred of political systems and ideologies from hatred of nations and their people. You seem to subscribe to the Bush logic of who isn't with us is against us - puerile, unintellectual and totally imbecilic.
I adore US black music, one of my favouriote cities in the world is Chicago, I love reading Eudora Welty, Alice Walker, and Dorothy West, value the poetry of Dorothy Parker, love "The Golden Girls" and think the US has produced some fine academics worth reading (e.g. Judy Scales-Trent). Blind hatred of the US? I think not.
RightatNYU said:
, I can confidently say that your country most likely has problems at well. Yet you ignore them, and the many problems of other countries, to instead focus on a scapegoat.,.
I refer you to the Terri Schivea thread and my response to being asked my opinion on what's happening in the EU. I think you'll find I don't ignore the problems we have. Any more untruths you'd like to bandy about?
RightatNYU said:
Also interesting how your determination of intelligence rests solely on political alignment..,.
Not at all. I don't believe many of the 300 pound Nike clad dorks sitting in Mcdonald's have any political alignment
RightatNYU said:

Far too moderate. He's a wet liberal, but I like him all the same. He puts forward his points of view with intelligence. You could learn alot from him.

Contrarian said:
By the way dear lady... VIctorian morality and Puritan ethics came from your side of the pond. Perhaps I should blame this whole mess on your ancestors? :rolleyes:

They did indeed, but so did The Fabians, and the existentialists. But let's not harp on about the past. Let's look at the here and now, and if there's any "axis of evil" it's Bush/Rice/Blair.

Urethra Franklin said:
It's you who can't seem to separate hatred of political systems and ideologies from hatred of nations and their people. You seem to subscribe to the Bush logic of who isn't with us is against us - puerile, unintellectual and totally imbecilic.

Hmm, I don't know, what would give me the idea you were "against us?" Maybe it was one of your hundreds of posts villifying the US, and any who DARE to have a different opinion than you? But, yes, you're the tolerant one.

I adore US black music, one of my favouriote cities in the world is Chicago, I love reading Eudora Welty, Alice Walker, and Dorothy West, value the poetry of Dorothy Parker, love "The Golden Girls" and think the US has produced some fine academics worth reading (e.g. Judy Scales-Trent). Blind hatred of the US? I think not.

This reminds me of a racist trying to convince everyone he doesn't hate minorities.

"No, I don't have black people, I love black people, one of my best friends is a ni-I mean, African-American."

Not at all. I don't believe many of the 300 pound Nike clad dorks sitting in Mcdonald's have any political alignment.

So just because someone's overweight and wears Nike's and sits in McDonalds, it means that they're too stupid to have political opinions as valuable as yours? Judge others much?

Far too moderate. He's a wet liberal, but I like him all the same. He puts forward his points of view with intelligence. You could learn alot from him.

I think you're right, I could learn a lot from him. I like to debate because I get to see the arguments from all different spectrums. You, on the other hand, seem to debate solely to push your opinion on others.

RightatNYU said:
Hmm, I don't know, what would give me the idea you were "against us?" Maybe it was one of your hundreds of posts villifying the US, and any who DARE to have a different opinion than you? But, yes, you're the tolerant one.

On a political and ideological level I AM "against you"
Glad you managed to work that one out
You're a bright little boy. Keep working hard at school and you could go places.

RightatNYU said:
This reminds me of a racist trying to convince everyone he doesn't hate minorities.

"No, I don't have black people, I love black people, one of my best friends is a ni-I mean, African-American.".

Draw whatever incorrect conclusions you wish. I was simply pointing out that there are some things about the US I value. Adlittedly, yes, they are few and far between.

RightatNYU said:
So just because someone's overweight and wears Nike's and sits in McDonalds, it means that they're too stupid to have political opinions as valuable as yours? Judge others much?.

If you're asking me if I have a problem with the fact that McDonalds "supersizes" already overweight people with obscene amounts of food, while every single day more people around the world than were killed in the 9/11 attack die of starvation, the answer is yes. Don't tell me Ronald McDonald eductaes kids about nutrition and fair trade practices.

RightatNYU said:
I like to debate because I get to see the arguments from all different spectrums. .

Shame you're too blinkered to actually see them though. Perhaps when you grow up.

RightatNYU said:
You, on the other hand, seem to debate solely to push your opinion on others.

It's a forum. I'm here to express my opinion. You accuse me of "pushing it on others" because you don't have counterarguments that stand up.

Do you know the jazz singer Marlena Shaw? She's from the US, and surprisingly, I don't hate her. She once recorded a beautiful song, the lyrics of which are very pertinent to the way I feel about you:

"Go away little boy,
Why don't you just go away, little boy........."

Urethra Franklin said:
If you're asking me if I have a problem with the fact that McDonalds "supersizes" already overweight people with obscene amounts of food, while every single day more people around the world than were killed in the 9/11 attack die of starvation, the answer is yes. Don't tell me Ronald McDonald eductaes kids about nutrition and fair trade practices.

My question had nothing to do with that. I was asking why you automatically assumed that a "300 lb dork in Nikes" would know nothing about politics?

It's a forum. I'm here to express my opinion. You accuse me of "pushing it on others" because you don't have counterarguments that stand up.

No, I accuse you of pushing it on others because you refuse to entertain the possibility that anyone else might have a valid argument, and when confronted with facts that go against what you believe, you either ignore them or act immaturely and resort to personal attacks.

On a political and ideological level I AM "against you"
Glad you managed to work that one out
You're a bright little boy. Keep working hard at school and you could go places.

Shame you're too blinkered to actually see them though. Perhaps when you grow up.

Do you know the jazz singer Marlena Shaw? She's from the US, and surprisingly, I don't hate her. She once recorded a beautiful song, the lyrics of which are very pertinent to the way I feel about you:

"Go away little boy,
Why don't you just go away, little boy........."

I'm not sure exactly what you think you're proving by deriding me because I'm apparently younger than you. I think you've managed to make the point for me that age is no indicator of maturity.

RightatNYU said:
My question had nothing to do with that. I was asking why you automatically assumed that a "300 lb dork in Nikes" would know nothing about politics? .

Go to your local McDonalds and try it out

RightatNYU said:
No, I accuse you of pushing it on others because you refuse to entertain the possibility that anyone else might have a valid argument, and when confronted with facts that go against what you believe, you either ignore them or act immaturely and resort to personal attacks..

This comes from the man who decided to attack a Chinese poster for his spelling, rather than applauding him for expressing himself well in a foreign language. I suspect the fact that Fried Rice is evidently far more intelligent than you was your motivation.

RightatNYU said:
age is no indicator of maturity.

As Mother Teresa demonstrated

Urethra Franklin said:
Go to your local McDonalds and try it out

You just refuse not to judge people, don't you.

This comes from the man who decided to attack a Chinese poster for his spelling, rather than applauding him for expressing himself well in a foreign language. I suspect the fact that Fried Rice is evidently far more intelligent than you was your motivation.

I didn't attack him for his spelling at all. I made a joke about the way you spelled one word.

As Mother Teresa demonstrated

It all ties back to her, doesn't it.

I have lost two close relatives from smoking related diseases,my mother had lung cancer and suffered terribly before she died.I don't allow it in my home and any visiting smoker who objects to that is promptly told where the door is!
In the UK new laws prohibiting smoking in public places are to be passed,I know that some States in America have tough laws on it.I for one welcome this,even if smoking was completely harmless,I find it dirty and objectionable
and think it unfair that when I have been(unaviodably)In a smoking environment,that my clothes stink of tobacco smoke,when I do not smoke myself.

labwitch said:
come upon a dead body lying in the texas heat in high summer (been there a coupla days), and you either smoke or puke. your choice. we have areas away from the area of contamination where officers, techs. detectives and doctors can indulge, just don't try it in the morgue or lab, your entire face will melt off. :eek: chemicals you know, volatile on

Andrew Shprt said:
labwitch said:
come upon a dead body lying in the texas heat in high summer (been there a coupla days), and you either smoke or puke. your choice. we have areas away from the area of contamination where officers, techs. detectives and doctors can indulge, just don't try it in the morgue or lab, your entire face will melt off. :eek: chemicals you know, volatile on

I'd rather puke!ifI smoked I'd puke anyway!

labwitch said:
come upon a dead body lying in the texas heat in high summer (been there a coupla days), and you either smoke or puke. your choice. we have areas away from the area of contamination where officers, techs. detectives and doctors can indulge, just don't try it in the morgue or lab, your entire face will melt off. :eek: chemicals you know, volatile ones.
I'd rather puke!smoke and I'd puke anyway!

I've lived with a smoker for nearly a year now. And while I doubt I will get lung cancer, I'm coughing up crap I didn't used to cough up.

I am very anti-smoking. It killed my father and I find some smokers to be the most insensitive people in the world when it comes to the rights of non-smokers and parents trying as hard as possible to create an environment free of tobacco smoke.

If I am an employer and your smoking habits cause me to have to pay higher premiums, I should have the right to demand you pay the higher health premiums. Baring that, I should be able to terminate them. I also should be able to ask prospective employees if they smoke or not and have the right to NOT hire smokers. This is especially true if I, or my family, will be directly affected by the smoking habits of my employees.

Back
Top Bottom