• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Smithsonian wants Martin's hoodie

Well if they get Zimmerman's gun aswell I guess it's okay.

The Smithsonian periodically has oddball exhibits they stick here and there. Some of it you can miss because it is stuck in a showcase in an intersection or something. It is no different than having most of the stuff they have--just new junk to get people who have stopped coming in to come in again. Archie's chair, Fonzi's jacket--it is all cultural paraphernalia.

The Smithsonian periodically has oddball exhibits they stick here and there. Some of it you can miss because it is stuck in a showcase in an intersection or something. It is no different than having most of the stuff they have--just new junk to get people who have stopped coming in to come in again. Archie's chair, Fonzi's jacket--it is all cultural paraphernalia.

Do we really need a race-baiting exhibit though?

I don't really have a problem with it. Whether it should've or not, the hoodie did become a big symbol in the country over the past year. It's the type of thing I'd expect the Smithsonian to try to collect.

Do we really need a race-baiting exhibit though?

Do you think the Museum of African-American History would have exhibits that weren't?

does addressing race issues always = race bating?

Never said it did but you when use a so called symbol of race issues when the case had nothing to do with race then yes in this case is race baiting.

Do you think if Zimmermans name had been Gonzalez we would have ever heard of him?
Never said it did but you when use a so called symbol of race issues when the case had nothing to do with race then yes in this case is race baiting.

The case had nothing to do with race itself, but it did have a profound impact on the discussion of race in America, even though it shouldn't have. It was important, and these types of cases are what the Smithsonian usually collects objects from.

Do you think if Zimmermans name had been Gonzalez we would have ever heard of him?

Thank you for making my point.

I am beginning to get the impression that in the minds of people who shriek out "race baiting" every time the problem is pointed out are doing so simply are not ready to look at themselves. If there are legitimate cases of racism but every time someone points it out they are race baiting....what are we to do?

Forget the sweatshirt, put his body on display. That's about the only thing Americans respond to. The rest they either ignore or rationalize away.

I am beginning to get the impression that in the minds of people who shriek out "race baiting" every time the problem is pointed out are doing so simply are not ready to look at themselves. If there are legitimate cases of racism but every time someone points it out they are race baiting....what are we to do?
Most racists hate discussing race for they know where that might lead.

And people like to bring race into non race issue so no real change can ever come.

I thought you brought it up.

Making a point. He claims that people that don't see this as an issue of race are racist. If my point wasn't clear to me people that race bait are the ones in the way of any real change.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Racists love talking about race for the very reason of where it might lead. It gives them the opportunity to display their perceived superiority. Even those who feign to speak for the "group," do so out of a sense of superiority.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Racists love talking about race for the very reason of where it might lead. It gives them the opportunity to display their perceived superiority. Even those who feign to speak for the "group," do so out of a sense of superiority.
Most racists can't deal with the fact that they are, and say so. Those that can and see it is a good thing, live for it.

Most racists can't deal with the fact that they are, and say so.

Racists can't deal with the fact that they feel superior? Do you realize what a contradiction that is?

Probably not...

Racists can't deal with the fact that they feel superior? Do you realize what a contradiction that is?

Probably not...
All humans are racist. Most can't deal with it and the majority who can take pride in it.

Back
Top Bottom