• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smart watches: Need Xmas Advice for Wifey

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I want to buy a really good smartwatch for my wife for Xmas.
Okay, maybe it's not entirely necessary for it to be a "LADIES" smartwatch, my wife was a Navy diesel mechanic and appreciates good tech. If it's available with some style, so much the better.

I'd LIKE for it to have a built-in camera but it's not totally necessary but making and receiving calls is a must, because she frequently has to dig her damn phone out of the side bag in her wheelchair, and she usually misses the call. If she can just pick up the call on her wrist, that's a very welcome feature.
I'm sure most smartwatches also receive push notifications from text and social media.
That's nice too but the biggie is being able to make and receive calls.

She IS NOT AN iPHONE user, she's Android, so it cannot be an Apple Watch, because in their usual infinite wisdom, the Apple Watch won't jive with anything that isn't Apple, what a surprise.

I've seen a few models that look intriguing but I'd like to know if anyone else has a favorite.

Okay, maybe it's not entirely necessary for it to be a "LADIES" smartwatch, my wife was a Navy diesel mechanic and appreciates good tech. If it's available with some style, so much the better.

I'd LIKE for it to have a built-in camera but it's not totally necessary but making and receiving calls is a must, because she frequently has to dig her damn phone out of the side bag in her wheelchair, and she usually misses the call. If she can just pick up the call on her wrist, that's a very welcome feature.
I'm sure most smartwatches also receive push notifications from text and social media.

She IS NOT AN iPHONE user, she's Android, so it cannot be an Apple Watch, because in their usual infinite wisdom, the Apple Watch won't jive with anything that isn't Apple, what a surprise.

I've seen a few models that look intriguing but I'd like to know if anyone else has a favorite.
Not exactly the same but I've had problems with fit bit watches. Have had several and they all lost their bluetooth connectivity after a few months for some unknown reason. Dont know if watches have similar issues

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You R A GOOD DUDE, Dude.

Not exactly the same but I've had problems with fit bit watches. Have had several and they all lost their bluetooth connectivity after a few months for some unknown reason. Dont know if watches have similar issues

I'd get her a Fit Bit but seeing as she's in a power wheelchair it doesn't make any sense.
Back when she used to be in a manual chair or when she was in the Veterans Wheelchair Games it would have the perfect idea but she's not really a jock anymore. (or jock-ette, LOL)

She's still active, just not in athletics like she used to be.

KarenNVWG2003FinishLine1.jpg

I'd get her a Fit Bit but seeing as she's in a power wheelchair it doesn't make any sense.
Back when she used to be in a manual chair or when she was in the Veterans Wheelchair Games it would have the perfect idea but she's not really a jock anymore. (or jock-ette, LOL)

She's still active, just not in athletics like she used to be.

View attachment 67245690
My point was to be careful with the technology I found it unreliable

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Watch for the past few months and I LOVE it. You should take a look at it, it's in my opinion the highest quality smart watch on the market. Excellent features, battery life, and water proof. There are 3 different versions, one big, two small. Doesn't have a camera, but does do calls and notifications. Would recommend.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/

PCD-selector-Galaxy-Watch.png

The Citizen Promaster Blue Angel Skyhawk

Sets its own time / Radio Controlled
Solar
Beautiful

Got it last week and real happy with it

Citizen Blue Angels Watch.jpg

I'm not the least bit familiar with smartwatches but since her wheelchair is a vehicle (of sorts) then perhaps a stand/mount could be used to keep her existing smartphone more easily (rapidly?) accessible.

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Watch for the past few months and I LOVE it. You should take a look at it, it's in my opinion the highest quality smart watch on the market. Excellent features, battery life, and water proof. There are 3 different versions, one big, two small. Doesn't have a camera, but does do calls and notifications. Would recommend.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/

PCD-selector-Galaxy-Watch.png

So if her phone rings, she can answer on her watch and hear it through a little speaker?
That's awesome.
And you say it can get text and Facebook messages? How about emails, naaah that's okay, but if it can that's also great but the calling is the most important thing I guess...oh and the time haha.

I'm not the least bit familiar with smartwatches but since her wheelchair is a vehicle (of sorts) then perhaps a stand/mount could be used to keep her existing smartphone more easily (rapidly?) accessible.

Yeah I am working on that too but of course the most popular mounts work with a different kind of rail hardware than what she has. It's because of the type of armrests she has. But still, having a watch that pairs with her phone would still be great because she likes a nice watch and it's right on her wrist. She would still love it even if we had the phone mount.

You can see the oddball armrests in this picture.
Yes, she's a die hard Cubbies fan, like all good Chicago girls.

Karen Cubs 2017a.jpg

So if her phone rings, she can answer on her watch and hear it through a little speaker?
That's awesome.
And you say it can get text and Facebook messages? How about emails, naaah that's okay, but if it can that's also great but the calling is the most important thing I guess...oh and the time haha.

Yes, it has a speaker (pretty loud) and a mic so you can pick up calls. Texts and Facebook messages work pretty well. Emails work too. Like I said, I love this watch, very handy and perfect for Android.

The Citizen Promaster Blue Angel Skyhawk

Sets its own time / Radio Controlled
Solar
Beautiful

Got it last week and real happy with it

View attachment 67245696

Sorry, it's a really nice looking watch but I looked it up and it doesn't appear to have the capability to pair with a smartphone and take calls and stuff.
I love Citizen watches and have one myself. No, mine isn't a smart watch, I've had it for almost twenty years.

Yeah I am working on that too but of course the most popular mounts work with a different kind of rail hardware than what she has. It's because of the type of armrests she has. But still, having a watch that pairs with her phone would still be great because she likes a nice watch and it's right on her wrist. She would still love it even if we had the phone mount.

You can see the oddball armrests in this picture.
Yes, she's a die hard Cubbies fan, like all good Chicago girls.

View attachment 67245704

OK, get her the $$$ watch and add this (or something similar) as a stocking stuffer:

https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-TAB086...ocphy=9028248&hvtargid=pla-434971198541&psc=1

Yes, it has a speaker (pretty loud) and a mic so you can pick up calls. Texts and Facebook messages work pretty well. Emails work too. Like I said, I love this watch, very handy and perfect for Android.

I placed it on my Amazon list, so I'm probably going to go ahead and get it, maybe today. :D

OK, get her the $$$ watch and add this (or something similar) as a stocking stuffer:

https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-TAB086...ocphy=9028248&hvtargid=pla-434971198541&psc=1

Ha ha, that's almost the exact one I tried, and like I said, her armrests don't accept the mounting screws properly.
I could probably "jam" it in there by brute force but that would mess up the gel cushions.
The rail on her armrest has a channel but it's not a standard size channel either, because we tried channel mount hardware too...still didn't work.

Stupid Invacare, I wish they'd get their act together and standardize things.
It's a sturdy chair but she's always dropping screws and what not.

(Rolling around the house) "clunk" (screw or bolt falling off)
"Dammit, I'm falling apart!"

Karenhelmet1.jpg

Ha ha, that's almost the exact one I tried, and like I said, her armrests don't accept the mounting screws properly.
I could probably "jam" it in there by brute force but that would mess up the gel cushions.
The rail on her armrest has a channel but it's not a standard size channel either, because we tried channel mount hardware too...still didn't work.

Stupid Invacare, I wish they'd get their act together and standardize things.
It's a sturdy chair but she's always dropping screws and what not.

(Rolling around the house) "clunk" (screw or bolt falling off)
"Dammit, I'm falling apart!"

View attachment 67245705

As a self-employed handyman I have (hillbilly?) re-engineered (rigged?) all manner of things but can agree that many initial designs do not lend themselves to easy modifications or repairs. Push lawnmower handles (especially those designed to fold - crimped thin-wall tubes with joints) are some of the first parts to fail but adding angle aluminum supports with some band clamps can "cure" most of them (until something else major fails).

As a self-employed handyman I have (hillbilly?) re-engineered (rigged?) all manner of things but can agree that many initial designs do not lend themselves to easy modifications or repairs. Push lawnmower handles (especially those designed to fold - crimped thin-wall tubes with joints) are some of the first parts to fail but adding angle aluminum supports with some band clamps can "cure" most of them (until something else major fails).

I've done my share of redneck rigging before, but Karen was a diesel mechanic when she was in the Navy, so let's just say she is not impressed with my re-jiggering skills. :rofl:

She's the mechanical genius, I'm the electronics guy...that's how we mesh together, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom