• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smart TV questions & advice please

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Live in an apt where some channels are available.
Building has Wifi, but it drops to much to stream shows
To receive Amazon/Netflix or others I need an activated cable connection which I will get.

Have a box supplied, 1 HDMI connection
I will be purchasing at least 1/2 Fire Stick for Netflix probably Amazon as well.
I am on Eastlink in eastern Canada

What are your recommendations for operating system, I am leaning heavy towards Android
When I activate the cable connection I want to set up my own WiFi as well. More secure

Help is appreciated

Live in an apt where some channels are available.
Building has Wifi, but it drops to much to stream shows
To receive Amazon/Netflix or others I need an activated cable connection which I will get.

Have a box supplied, 1 HDMI connection
I will be purchasing at least 1/2 Fire Stick for Netflix probably Amazon as well.
I am on Eastlink in eastern Canada

What are your recommendations for operating system, I am leaning heavy towards Android
When I activate the cable connection I want to set up my own WiFi as well. More secure

Help is appreciated
All you really need for your smart TV to work is a reliable WiFi connection and your Smart TV. If you are subscribed to services like Netflix and Amazon, you'll be able to watch their stuff. If you want cable channels, then you'll need more than "cable internet"...you'll need to subscribe to your cable provider's programming.

The Fire Stick is useful if you want to turn a non-Smart TV into a Smart TV. Google, Roku and others make similar devices. The Fire Stick uses Amazon's version of Android and has Alexa. Google uses their version of Android and has Google Assistant. I don't know what Roku has, but it's probably a version of Android.

All you really need for your smart TV to work is a reliable WiFi connection and your Smart TV. If you are subscribed to services like Netflix and Amazon, you'll be able to watch their stuff. If you want cable channels, then you'll need more than "cable internet"...you'll need to subscribe to your cable provider's programming.

The Fire Stick is useful if you want to turn a non-Smart TV into a Smart TV. Google, Roku and others make similar devices. The Fire Stick uses Amazon's version of Android and has Alexa. Google uses their version of Android and has Google Assistant. I don't know what Roku has, but it's probably a version of Android.
I subscribe for HBO/STARRZ thru my provider
So no need for a fire stick to subscribe to Netflixs/Amazon, just use my STV to activate & login?
No doubt it saves the logins?

I subscribe for HBO/STARRZ thru my provider
So no need for a fire stick to subscribe to Netflixs/Amazon, just use my STV to activate & login?
No doubt it saves the logins?
Yep.

I used to be a Roku supporter, but I've switched. The Google Chromecast ($49) is by far superior to everything on the market currently. I even have one plugged into my Roku TV.

If you are getting a smart tv, make sure it runs Android or is a Samsung or LG TV. They have the best coverage of apps for TV...including all those services that have been listed.

If you don't have a Smart TV or it is of an older model not supported...50 dollars for a Google Chromecast and it is a smart tv again.

My Philips STV already has Netflix, Prime and YouTube on it as well as a ton of other apps. Can’t seem to DL Disney on to it so I run that app on my phone through the chromecast.

My Philips STV already has Netflix, Prime and YouTube on it as well as a ton of other apps. Can’t seem to DL Disney on to it so I run that app on my phone through the chromecast.
This is a perfect example of why I don't automatically like the applications built into many smart TVs of many brands. In the old days we used to just think of a TV as a "monitor" for video; it didn't need to do anything but display the images which you plug into it's inputs. I like to think the same is true today. If your TV has an HDMI input, then find the best media streaming device to fit your needs, and don't be limited to what the TV manufacturer's crappy technology has built into your TV. All they care about is being able to have 'Netflix', or 'Hulu', or whatever on the box to get your attention in the TV store.

This is a perfect example of why I don't automatically like the applications built into many smart TVs of many brands. In the old days we used to just think of a TV as a "monitor" for video; it didn't need to do anything but display the images which you plug into it's inputs. I like to think the same is true today. If your TV has an HDMI input, then find the best media streaming device to fit your needs, and don't be limited to what the TV manufacturer's crappy technology has built into your TV. All they care about is being able to have 'Netflix', or 'Hulu', or whatever on the box to get your attention in the TV store.
I kind of see your point but I watch Netflix and YouTube a lot so I like having them already built in. It means I can control everything with one remote. It has Alexa too but I don’t like the idea of it so I haven’t set it up. Whereas because I have to run Disney on my phone and then through the Chromecast, it’s adds another layer.

I used to be a Roku supporter, but I've switched. The Google Chromecast ($49) is by far superior to everything on the market currently. I even have one plugged into my Roku TV.
I have a Firestick and Google Chromecast. My 2015 Samsung Smart TV doesn't have near as many features as my 2019 Samsung Smart TV. I also use an antenna that adds OTA channels to my Samsung TV channels.

I find it too easy to subscribe to all these $4.99 networks like Discovery + and Peacock, etc...

I have a Firestick and Google Chromecast. My 2015 Samsung Smart TV doesn't have near as many features as my 2019 Samsung Smart TV. I also use an antenna that adds OTA channels to my Samsung TV channels.

I find it too easy to subscribe to all these $4.99 networks like Discovery + and Peacock, etc...

I don't know about you but I love Discovery+. I even go the extra couple bucks and get it with no commercials. I just enjoy a lot of their channels and they have great content, even if it is mindless entertainment like "extreme cheapskates".

I don't know about you but I love Discovery+. I even go the extra couple bucks and get it with no commercials. I just enjoy a lot of their channels and they have great content, even if it is mindless entertainment like "extreme cheapskates".
It's "dangerously addictive".

Back
Top Bottom