• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Small NY Town Wants Muslim Bodies Removed From Graveyard

sokpupet

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Small NY Town Wants Muslim Bodies Removed From Graveyard : The Two-Way : NPR
~snip
The Osmanli Naksibendi Hakkani order is a small group of Sufis who bought some land in upstate New York in 2002 as a spiritual retreat. A few years later, they used some of the property as a graveyard, burying two followers there.

Now the town of Sidney, NY says the burials were illegal, the graveyard is illegal, and the bodies need to be removed.

Here is the letter.

Are we now to fear even deceased Muslims?!! :roll:

That's just beyond stupid. These people are dead, meaning that they are corpses, not muslims.

That's just beyond stupid. These people are dead, meaning that they are corpses, not muslims.

unusual_sarcasm_notice.jpg

To clarify.. .. ..

I can see the city's point. They'd really be ****ed when the zombie apocalypse happens. All these Muslim zombies would be running around blowing themselves up and whatnot.

I know it's easy to assume bigotry, but it seems perfectly plausible that this has nothing to do with religion.

Town Supervisor Bob McCarthy claims bigotry had nothing to do with it, and that the cemetery is simply illegal. He told the Associated Press:

"These people just came up and buried bodies on the land,"
McCarthy said. "You have to have permits. They didn't have them.
You can't just bury Grandma in the backyard under the picnic
table."

The letter sounds like a valid approval, but it could just be a preliminary measure that never turned into final approval to actually bury people. Small town politics and bureaucracy are usually a lot more complex than they appear.

I know it's easy to assume bigotry, but it seems perfectly plausible that this has nothing to do with religion.

The letter sounds like a valid approval, but it could just be a preliminary measure that never turned into final approval to actually bury people. Small town politics and bureaucracy are usually a lot more complex than they appear.

Timing is everything.

Aww... poor sufis.
I suspect you'd be a little upset if they were moving your deceased family, whether rightly or wrongly ...

Re: Shut down the Sufi community's cemetery

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged

Fear of innocent Muslim civilians--Americans, mind you--has gone too far. This is beyond the pale.

As someone who lives in a small upstate town, you're most likely right.

One of the things I like least about living around here is how you have to suck just the right cocks in just the right way for just the right length of time just for a hope of getting anything done.

This isn't about muslims , it's about some jackass regulating graveyards. What a bunch of baloney trying to spin it.
This supervisor is just not willing to admit that he made a mistake about whether proper documentation was filed. It's more an ego thing than anything at this point. What a damned joke.
You can make stuff up all you want, but there is a wave of anti-Muslim sentiment in this country. Trying to deny it and cover it up is nonsense. Just admit that people who wear towels on their head scare you and you are afraid of zombie-Islam-nazi's.

Keep the fear alive, Conservative-America. Keep it alive. It's all you have.

Listen, joe six-pack, I'm the first to jump all over people hating on Muslims senselessly, but I've seen this brand of BS before in small-town politics.

This isn't hate. This is political stupidity.

Someone didn't get their ring kissed.

You can make stuff up all you want, but there is a wave of anti-Muslim sentiment in this country. Trying to deny it and cover it up is nonsense. Just admit that people who wear towels on their head scare you and you are afraid of zombie-Islam-nazi's.

Keep the fear alive, Conservative-America. Keep it alive. It's all you have.
Actually, all you have is ridiculous, unfounded assumptions and innuendo at this point. Unless they jumped through all the hoops like everyone else, they're in violation of the law and are subject to having the graves moved. Pretty straightforward to any rational person. :shrug:

I think we should learn all the facts first before stating some small NY town is bigoted against dead Muslims. If they had no proper permit to bury the bodies, they should be moved. They shouldn't be allowed to break the laws due to sensetivity. However, many will spin this to be a "holy crap bigots!!11!one!!1!"

In the present climate, if it walks like a bigot, and talks like a bigot, there's a fair to middling chance that...

Back
Top Bottom