• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

small government vs big government

Omniscient

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Right vs Left

politics-spectrum-right-left-aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-communism-marxism-equality.jpg

politics-left-right-replublican-conservative-liberal.png

if both are equally bad then why does one side pretend to be morally superior to the other?

Last edited:
Either way, the problem appears to be the same - monopolies (whether public or private on paper) are bad news. It would seem that the ideal situation is having enough private power to prevent a public monopoly (single party rule) and enough government power to prevent a private monopoly (mega corporation cartel control).

Our religious belief in Scarcity is the problem. We cannot imagine a cultural, economic, or political world without it. So we argue like religious fanatics over different interpretations on how best to live our lives in its Presence.

The dumbest false choice I've ever heard.

So small government inevitably turns into big government, and big government turns into a totalitarian state.

Sounds about right, but it has nothing to do with the market or with capitalism.

I thought you guys were pissed off at the free market now:

Right vs Left

politics-spectrum-right-left-aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-communism-marxism-equality.jpg

if both are equally bad then why does one side pretend to be morally superior to the other?
Before reading all the responses ... thank you for the post. I'm so confused at why each side acts like only the other side is dangerous. One can easily predict the [living hell] we will get if one side or the other goes unchecked.

And now, after reading the responses ... morons. Keep at it Omniscient. While ten bajillion posts are arguing one jaded view or the other, we need the people who point out how either one leads to bad things.

So small government inevitably turns into big government, and big government turns into a totalitarian state.

Sounds about right, but it has nothing to do with the market or with capitalism.
Well, technically ... the market dictates that profit-seeking firms attempt to influence government policy, gain advantages, enshrine those advantages into law (via bigger government), etc. ... rational actors seeking profits do prefer to have a big brother government on their side and all. This negative effect might be limited by ... no, Citizens United, I guess we have to live with it because SCOTUS says so.

Big Government is needed to monitor and control small governments and their destruction of civil rights.

Big Government is needed to monitor and control small governments and their destruction of civil rights.
Absolutely! Also, small government is needed to control big governments and their destruction of civil rights.

Well, technically ... the market dictates that profit-seeking firms attempt to influence government policy, gain advantages, enshrine those advantages into law (via bigger government), etc. ... rational actors seeking profits do prefer to have a big brother government on their side and all.

Markets are voluntary by definition, they do not "dictate" anything. That politicians choose to solicit bribes from big corporations in exchange for political favors is a feature of democracy in general and the regulatory state in particular. It is government regulation that allows the state control over certain production and distribution decisions. Politicians and bureaucrats then sell their influence to the highest bidder, often right out in the open. You'll note government regulation always favors large firms over small. The fact that lobbying pays big dividends is a feature of democracy, not the market.

Right vs Left

actually, it’s only conservatives who approach the problem in such a simplistic way. Liberals tend to be a little more sophisticated on the issue.

“ I am not for big government. I am not for small government. I am for smart government.“
-Barack Obama

I just want problems solved. I don't really care if it's called big government or small government. I'm a liberal - if businesses can fix an issue for me, I'll go that route. Doesn't have to be via government.

Markets are voluntary by definition, they do not "dictate" anything. That politicians choose to solicit bribes from big corporations in exchange for political favors is a feature of democracy in general and the regulatory state in particular. It is government regulation that allows the state control over certain production and distribution decisions. Politicians and bureaucrats then sell their influence to the highest bidder, often right out in the open. You'll note government regulation always favors large firms over small. The fact that lobbying pays big dividends is a feature of democracy, not the market.
Fine, replace with "the profit motive dictates".

I love the nanny State, it only teaches the children to play make believe.

Useless to the banks.

Fine, replace with "the profit motive dictates".

So your complaint is that politicians and bureaucrats want to improve their own lives just like anybody else?

The next step in your quest to absolve the state of making us all worse off is, "human nature dictates".

So your complaint is that politicians and bureaucrats want to improve their own lives just like anybody else?

The next step in your quest to absolve the state of making us all worse off is, "human nature dictates".
Wow, smoke less of the stuff. I am pointing out a logical result of the profit motive. You are ... losing your ****.

The main thing wrong with this post is the assumption that people like me (liberals) are just mirror images of people like him:
'MTAtech is a liberal because he wants bigger government. I’m an libertarian because I want smaller government.'
This is wrong on multiple levels. First of all, while conservatives see smaller government as an end in itself, liberals don’t see bigger government the same way. Think about it: while you often see conservatives crow about, say, reducing discretionary spending as a good thing just because the number is down, do you ever see liberals crowing about a rise in spending, never mind what on? Liberals want government to do certain things, like provide essential health care; fix the battered infrastructure and build investments for the future. The size of government per se isn’t the objective.

Moreover, there isn't any evidence that "big government turns into a totalitarian state." All the Scandinavian nations have had bigger government than anything we here can imagine and they're democracies and Sweden leads the world in entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

If corporations make more money by buying politicans and having them write legislation for them, why would they care about your supposes free market? There is no real free market and there never has been.

the size of a government isnt really the big problem, it usually lies in the scope and activities that it is allowed to perform.

If corporations make more money by buying politicans and having them write legislation for them, why would they care about your supposes free market?

They don't. Big corporations luv the progressive regulatory state.

the 9 scariest words in the english language -- I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

Back
Top Bottom