• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Small assault-style rifle firms thriving under activists' radar

Nylon. 22.... I remember a field test where they drove over the rifle with a 4x4 truck, picked it up and fired it with no jams...

I fired a friend's and it it was jam free as well. Neat idea.

-REmington Pro exhibition shooter Tom Frye shot thousands of small wooden blocks setting a record-using several of those rifles. If you bought one-back in the day, one of those little blocks came with it. over a 100 years ago-when trick shooters were popular entertainment, a guy known as Ad Topperwein had set a world record of shooting at thousands of small blocks with a 22 rifle and missing only a few. Frye was "shooting" for that record

NylonRifles.com » The Most Famous Nylon 66

-REmington Pro exhibition shooter Tom Frye shot thousands of small wooden blocks setting a record-using several of those rifles. If you bought one-back in the day, one of those little blocks came with it. over a 100 years ago-when trick shooters were popular entertainment, a guy known as Ad Topperwein had set a world record of shooting at thousands of small blocks with a 22 rifle and missing only a few. Frye was "shooting" for that record

I read about Frye's exploits but forgot it was Nylon 66s doing the deed.

Thanks for that link. When I was about 14, a Nylon 66 was the first rifle I could call my very own. I chose it on the basis of all those ads in various gun magazines and American Rifleman. My Mom ordered it for me at the local Western Auto store. I remember being disappointed that mine didn't come with one of those wood blocks.

Nylon. 22.... I remember a field test where they drove over the rifle with a 4x4 truck, picked it up and fired it with no jams...

The one i found at a local pawn shop had patina on the receiver cover.
Looks like it had been out in the swamp a few times.
It is so light, I could carry it all day long with no sling.

Have you seen DemolitionRanchs video on Hi-Point
Cracks me up but simple designs have good reliability.

Have you seen DemolitionRanchs video on Hi-Point
Cracks me up but simple designs have good reliability.

I don't understand why so many people rag on Hi-Point, they're good cheapo guns.
I love my Taurus but I'll still probably buy a Hi-Point one of these days anyway, just to have it.

Thanks for that link. When I was about 14, a Nylon 66 was the first rifle I could call my very own. I chose it on the basis of all those ads in various gun magazines and American Rifleman. My Mom ordered it for me at the local Western Auto store. I remember being disappointed that mine didn't come with one of those wood blocks.

You mean ads like this. I first saw this one in Boy's Life. I was completely enamored by it.
" Interested? See your Remington dealer and ask for the 1966 catalog....$49.95 "

nylon66.jpg

Last edited:
You mean ads like this. I first saw this one in Boy's Life. I was completely enamored by it.
" Interested? See your Remington dealer and ask for the 1966 catalog....$49.95 "

View attachment 67246298

I mostly used mine to control English sparrows, starlings and rats in my grandfather's chicken yard. Previously I had used an old single shot he kept hanging on a peg in the main shed in that yard. That old warhorse had a rag stuffed in the barrel to keep wasps from building a nest.

Even though I was just mucking around on our ten acres, I sure had visions of myself traipsing the Alaskan wilderness...

I don't understand why so many people rag on Hi-Point, they're good cheapo guns.
I love my Taurus but I'll still probably buy a Hi-Point one of these days anyway, just to have it.

they are made in Ohio. we had a mope who was facing 18 USC 922 charges (felon in possession). So he said-but this gun is made in ohio-it never moved in interstate commerce (credit to a mope for making a decent argument). So I picked up the magazine and noted the 8 or so winchester cartridges in it were made in Illinois. 8 counts. He pled. BTW the ergonomics of the pistols is awful. For a few more bucks, get a police trade in used Glock or a Bersa. rumor has it some of the metal is ZINC-the same stuff the infamous (and reliable) RAVEN 25 was. However, the 9mm Carbine they make has a really good reputation for working well and its much cheaper than PCC carbines based on the AR 15s or that really nice Beretta Storm Carbine

I mostly used mine to control English sparrows, starlings and rats in my grandfather's chicken yard. Previously I had used an old single shot he kept hanging on a peg in the main shed in that yard. That old warhorse had a rag stuffed in the barrel to keep wasps from building a nest.

Even though I was just mucking around on our ten acres, I sure had visions of myself traipsing the Alaskan wilderness...

I was right there with you in those visions.
Reading too much Bradford Angier I guess.

None of the firearms featured in that story were Assault rifles! End of story! Move on already!

None of the firearms featured in that story were Assault rifles! End of story! Move on already!

Which is why they said assault style. Kind of like Tuscan style shrimp or Mexican style tacos or anything else they add the word style at the end of it. They use the word style because its not the actual thing.

Which is why they said assault style. Kind of like Tuscan style shrimp or Mexican style tacos or anything else they add the word style at the end of it. They use the word style because its not the actual thing.

The actual video never calls the AR15 rifles featured in the story as being "assault /assault -style", its a bogus play on words to evoke fear in the non-gun owning public.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-thriving-under-activists-radar-idUSKBN1OG1BZ

BOSTON (Reuters) - A decade ago, Kentucky’s Anderson Manufacturing was a small machine shop that didn’t make firearms.

By 2016, it was making more rifles than Smith & Wesson, according to the latest available data from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Anderson’s big seller: assault-style rifles that cost up to $2,100 and require no lubrication. Anderson says it made nearly 454,000 rifles that year, or about 57,000 more than Smith & Wesson.
===============================================
Anderson is one of a number of small manufacturing companies taking market share away from the big companies like S&W.

'Some rifles made by companies such as Patriot Ordnance Factory and Daniel Defense fire larger .308-caliber rounds instead of the .223-caliber rounds more commonly used in AR-15s. Another firm, Kel-Tec CNC Industries Inc, makes the hot-selling Sub-2000 rifle - which folds up small enough to fit into a backpack. It costs $500 and fires popular 9mm handgun ammunition.'

Only in America.

You despise America don't you?

The actual video never calls the AR15 rifles featured in the story as being "assault /assault -style", its a bogus play on words to evoke fear in the non-gun owning public.

I agree. Is why anti-2nd amendment trash invented the term assault weapon to refer to semiautomatic firearms.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-thriving-under-activists-radar-idUSKBN1OG1BZ

BOSTON (Reuters) - A decade ago, Kentucky’s Anderson Manufacturing was a small machine shop that didn’t make firearms.

By 2016, it was making more rifles than Smith & Wesson, according to the latest available data from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Anderson’s big seller: assault-style rifles that cost up to $2,100 and require no lubrication. Anderson says it made nearly 454,000 rifles that year, or about 57,000 more than Smith & Wesson.
===============================================
Anderson is one of a number of small manufacturing companies taking market share away from the big companies like S&W.

'Some rifles made by companies such as Patriot Ordnance Factory and Daniel Defense fire larger .308-caliber rounds instead of the .223-caliber rounds more commonly used in AR-15s. Another firm, Kel-Tec CNC Industries Inc, makes the hot-selling Sub-2000 rifle - which folds up small enough to fit into a backpack. It costs $500 and fires popular 9mm handgun ammunition.'

Only in America.

Yeah isn't free Enterprise great?

I think like the Cold War, the US gun community (rifles) breaks down between "AK Guys" and "M-16/AR-15 Guys"

If I was given a choice though, the assault rifle I'd choose would be the HK-416

The US army and the British army should ditch what they have and buy HK-416 and HK-417 rifles.

I liked the Thompson

Back
Top Bottom