• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sloppy Joe's

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do you Sloppy Joe? :mrgreen:

From a can, from "scratch", or a combination of the two?

Share your recipe if you have a killer one to share.

Last time I made Sloppy Joe's I was in a huge hurry and just went with this:

manwich.jpg

:3oops:

but in fairness, it still tasted pretty damn good.

Now that I have older kids and more time to cook, I'd be willing to entertain a more "worthy" Sloppy Joe experience.

So post 'em up.

Thanks.

Used to do a lot of sloppy joe on the short order line when I was a contract Army cook. We used ketchup, brown sugar, yellow mustard, and some flour to help bind the grease and stretch the portions. Cook some onions into the beef, use 10% fat and dont drain. Do not salt. Never had a recipe that we followed, everything is to taste. There was a standard beef to sugar ratio, make it too sweet and people get pissed. As I recall it was about 70/30 K/M, though as I said that could change a bit.

My mom liked that can stuff, especially after they had more than one flavor, I liked homemade better. THis was a real regular food for me for a lot of years. I liked it on wonder bread plain and pressed some with the palm of my hand , or on a hamburger bun with American cheese and again pressed. A gorgeous gooey mess this is. When I started in the DFAC soldiers all the fricking time wanted hot dog with sloppy joe over the top, somehow in like 20 years neither me nor my mom it seems ever thought to do it.

These go on top of the dog ideally:
00949618-0183-E345-5AA8-627AAB6F716A.jpg

Last edited:
Used to do a lot of sloppy joe on the short order line when I was a contract Army cook. We used ketchup, brown sugar, yellow mustard, and some flour to help bind the grease and stretch the portions. Cook some onions into the beef, use 10% fat and dont drain. Do not salt. Never had a recipe that we followed, everything is to taste. There was a beef to sugar ratio that we had to follow, make it too sweet and people get pissed.

My mom liked that can stuff, especially after they had more than one flavor, I liked homemade better.

that stuff is awful. the sugar makes it really hard to stomach

that stuff is awful. the sugar makes it really hard to stomach

The major flavor comes from the mustard, so there is a lot it this dish. Those cheap yellow mustards have a ton a vinegar, there is nowhere near enough sugar in the ketchup to make this work.

Edit on my recipe....after you throw it together U need to put it on a low stove to reduce to the right consistency, stirring occasionally.

Last edited:

manwich.jpg

Now that I have older kids and more time to cook, I'd be willing to entertain a more "worthy" Sloppy Joe experience.

So post 'em up.

Thanks.

Well, we really enjoy Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce. I add sirracha to that. Brown ground round, coarse chopped onion and fine chopped green pepper. Add sauce, simmer on lowest for 20 minutes to blend favors and done.

My cousin just told me how she makes pulled pork. A pork shoulder in the crockpot with some boullion and water a quart we way up for eight to ten hours. Throws out the liquid. She shreds it and puts it in the fridge for the next day. Next day it goes into the crock pot with the addition of (she also uses Sweet Baby Ray's) bbq sauce for a few hours to meld flavors. She makes it for company all the time in summer. Her go-to side is that cheesy hash brown recipe we all know in ANOTHER crockpot. O'Brian hash browns, cream of chicken soup, lots of cheddar cheese. Check the recipe. I don't remember it all. Usually made in the oven. She says it rocks in the crockpot. Also done in a few hours on high. She likes it for company, with a quick coleslaw, because it can be held on low or warm until everyone's ready to eat. I haven't made that, but going to.

Sounds good. I've found a couple of recipes on the net and I'm going to try one out this evening.

Her go-to side is that cheesy hash brown recipe we all know in ANOTHER crockpot. O'Brian hash browns, cream of chicken soup, lots of cheddar cheese. Check the recipe. I don't remember it all. Usually made in the oven. She says it rocks in the crockpot. Also done in a few hours on high. .

ummmm ...
Homer-Simpson-Drooling-while-Sleeping.gif

manwich.jpg

So post 'em up.

Thanks.
When it came to a canned sauce I preferred the following.

sj15_01164_cweb.png

They have a hickory flavored one also.
For me the hickory stands out too much.
sjhic15_01165_cweb.png

When it came to a canned sauce I preferred the following.

sj15_01164_cweb.png

They have a hickory flavored one also.
For me the hickory stands out too much.
sjhic15_01165_cweb.png

When I do use a canned sauce, I use Manwich. I'm going to look for this next time.

ummmm ...
Homer-Simpson-Drooling-while-Sleeping.gif

Our version of that was shredded frozen hash brown (not the patties either, real shreds) , cream of potato by itself or with cream of mushroom, onions, and the chaddar has to be sharp. Bake in pyrex till bubbly but take it out before the fat separates. Our neighbors used the cream of potato, onions, sharp cheddar and this:

t440x300.jpg

When I do use a canned sauce, I use Manwich. I'm going to look for this next time.
The hickory one, for me, is over powering.

But the original has less of a green pepper and bay leaf taste than than Manwich does.

If I use a can sauce, I never use a full can. Maybe I just don't like them that sloppy or that flavorful?

Last edited:

manwich.jpg

So post 'em up.

Thanks.

This certainly brings back memories- the last time I ate sloppy joes was back in high school.

Grade school menu-like Christmas when they served sloppy joes. Today SJ's are what you make it. Think of the possibilities- mustard, molasses, brown sugar, lemon, paprika, ketchup, garlic, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper, salt, season salt, green chili sauce, Tobasco, on and on and on. Oh yeah, melted cheese on top.:2dance:

manwich.jpg

So post 'em up.

Thanks.

I haven't made them in quite a while. I remember the first time I made them on my own I followed the recipe in the Betty Crocker cook book. The recipe was okay, but what I still remember to this day (almost 30 years later) were the instructions. Stir in all ingredients... except the buns, lol.

This certainly brings back memories- the last time I ate sloppy joes was back in high school.

to make it more memorable you need to add in the Adam Sandler Sloppy Joe song with Chris Farley as the lunch lady .. its at about 1:05 seconds I couldn't find a clip of just it.

The major flavor comes from the mustard, so there is a lot it this dish. Those cheap yellow mustards have a ton a vinegar, there is nowhere near enough sugar in the ketchup to make this work.

Edit on my recipe....after you throw it together U need to put it on a low stove to reduce to the right consistency, stirring occasionally.

You are one of the few people who mentions mustard in sloppy joes, most I know go manwhich, or make glorified spaghetti sauce but never mustard. First time I heard about homemde sloppy joes, my mother was cooking and said get the manwhich, went to the cabinet and it was gone and we were like all sad we would not get sloppy joes, then she says watch thise and threw some mustard and spaghetti sauce together with some peppers and onions, and it was way better than the can stuf.

You are one of the few people who mentions mustard in sloppy joes, most I know go manwhich, or make glorified spaghetti sauce but never mustard. First time I heard about homemde sloppy joes, my mother was cooking and said get the manwhich, went to the cabinet and it was gone and we were like all sad we would not get sloppy joes, then she says watch thise and threw some mustard and spaghetti sauce together with some peppers and onions, and it was way better than the can stuf.

Interesting, that is how my mom made it, it is how we made it for soldiers for 10 years in 3 locations, and it is how I make it. Cheap yellow mustard, do not deviate.

Last edited:
BEEF,GROUND,BULK,RAW,90% LEAN
ONIONS,FRESH,CHOPPED
CATSUP
MUSTARD,DRY
SALT
SUGAR,BROWN,PACKED
VINEGAR,DISTILLED
WATER
ROLL,SANDWICH BUNS,SPLIT
Weight Measure Issue
18-3/4 lbs
5-1/4 lbs
9-1/2 lbs
2-1/4 oz
3/4 oz
1-1/4 oz
1 lbs
2 lbs
9-1/2 lbs
3 qts 3 cup
1 gal 1/2 qts
1/4 cup 2 tbsp
1 tbsp
1/4 cup 1/3 tbsp
2 cup
3-3/4 cup
100 each

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_n/N02700.pdf

We always had gal of deli mustard, so we used that instead of the dry and vinegar. In the places I worked the recipes were mostly inspiration for us master cooks, but we had to be able to get what we needed from the ration room, and they could only give us what had been approved for the meal. We learned to use what we had to make way better food than the recipes,....
BUT

Sloppy joe always had 10% beef, Ketchup, deli mustard, onions, brown sugar....and rarely did we add anything (some did some smoke flavor), cause the soldiers hated it if we did, and if they bitched to the manager we had headaches, so we didn't.

manwich.jpg

So post 'em up.

Thanks.
I usually use a canned sauce, either Manwich or Del Monte, but more out of laziness. It's good, but almost too sweet. If/when I make my own it's because I want something less sweet.

I haven't made them in quite a while. I remember the first time I made them on my own I followed the recipe in the Betty Crocker cook book. The recipe was okay, but what I still remember to this day (almost 30 years later) were the instructions. Stir in all ingredients... except the buns, lol.
That's funny, but truth is some people do need to be told.

manwich.jpg

So post 'em up.

Thanks.

I did a completely homemade Sloppy Joe recipe a few years ago. I made homemade sauce from the (canned) tomatoes and everything, spices, etc. I won't give you a straight recipe, but basically I took canned tomato sauce, and made a ketchup with it --added in Dijon mustard, a pinch of clove, a hefty pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of ceyenne (I like heat, so a hefty pinch for me), dark brown sugar with a small bit of molasses, apple cider vinegar, pureed onions and garlic (if you want to save some for ketchup, it's damn good), and a few bay leaves (I also throw in a tiny, tiny bit of umami flavor, like fish sauce/soy sauce/tamari). You can find homemade ketchup recipes online, but them's the basic outline and you should adjust (or add/subtract spices) based to your taste.

To make it sloppy joes, you cook green bell peppers and more onion/garlic, and then add in your tomato sauce with a good bit of cumin, and let it simmer for a short bit.

I personally like eating them with a bit of cheddar on a sesame seed bun, but that's me.

Good. We need more of these non political topics. It is nasty outside.

I love SJ's, and make it often. Depending on my level of laziness and what is in the fridge, I might start from scratch or use the can. We don't always top the bun, just use any good bread to scoop it up. What is really great is some sour cream or crema with lemon juice and a bit of salt drizzled over the SJ before serving.

Good. We need more of these non political topics. It is nasty outside.

I love SJ's, and make it often. Depending on my level of laziness and what is in the fridge, I might start from scratch or use the can. We don't always top the bun, just use any good bread to scoop it up. What is really great is some sour cream or crema with lemon juice and a bit of salt drizzled over the SJ before serving.
I end up eating then open-faced with a knife and fork. Too civilized, I know. :2razz:

I end up eating then open-faced with a knife and fork. Too civilized, I know. :2razz:

No problem, no rules. If you have leftovers, try SJ over a lettuce that holds up to heat, like romaine. Top it with your favorite dressing and you have another meal.

Back
Top Bottom