• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Sleeping giant' Arctic methane deposits starting to release, scientists find

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Scientists have found evidence that frozen methane deposits in the Arctic Ocean – known as the “sleeping giants of the carbon cycle” – have started to be released over a large area of the continental slope off the East Siberian coast, the Guardian can reveal.

High levels of the potent greenhouse gas have been detected down to a depth of 350 metres in the Laptev Sea near Russia, prompting concern among researchers that a new climate feedback loop may have been triggered that could accelerate the pace of global heating.

The slope sediments in the Arctic contain a huge quantity of frozen methane and other gases – known as hydrates. Methane has a warming effect 80 times stronger than carbon dioxide over 20 years. The United States Geological Survey has previously listed Arctic hydrate destabilisation as one of four most serious scenarios for abrupt climate change.
===========================================================================
Warming oceans the release of huge amounts of methane will cause a global warming catastrophe. More huge fires in the drought-prone west, more Atlantic hurricanes, more Midwest droughts - just to start. And then there's rising sea levels as the arctic ice sheets keep melting.

Jacksin, I noticed that the writer referred to "global heating." I wonder if that's because the term "global warming" has turned into such a trigger word.

Jacksin, I noticed that the writer referred to "global heating." I wonder if that's because the term "global warming" has turned into such a trigger word.

Emily L, I think it's the same thing.

A methane fart? :D:poop:

LOL. Not long ago I saw photos of some giant crater in Siberia that was more or less a methane fart. I guess living on rocky southern land isn't so bad when you don't have to worry about frozen methane murdering you in any of multiple ways.

I can see the headline now: Arctic Farting Being Released

Back
Top Bottom