• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Slavery in America - How did it start?

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Well it started when some indentured servants were sentenced to life as servants. A good example is the case of Anthony Johnson and John Casor. Here is where two Black men are embroiled in a law suit, Casor the indentured servant looses the case and becomes the first slave in Virginia, as a result of a sentence of life as a servant.

Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it did? casor was only the first legally recognized slave.

The first African slaves arrived in present day United States as part of the San Miguel de Gualdape colony (most likely located in the Winyah Bay area of present-day South Carolina), founded by Spanish explorer Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón in 1526.

huh, interesting, I'd always assumed you's had inherited it from the French and British.

no...i'm just saying slavery went way back.

Well let's discuss the use of the word slavery as a generality. You could say everything was slavery, but what were the terms of servitude?

Well let's discuss the use of the word slavery as a generality. You could say everything was slavery, but what were the terms of servitude?

depends upon the time period. do you mean in the 1600's?

I hope you all realize that the slave/plantation style economy far preceeds the English colonies in North America.

Italians used similar models in one of the Crusader states and the Portuguese imported African slaves to their offshore plantation colonies of Sao Tome and Principe in the late 15th century.

Also, African slavery existed for at least 800 years prior to the Atlantic Slave trade with a vibrant trade of slaves going to Arabia and Persia for centuries...

Slavery in America hardly started with the white man. American Indians were enslaving each other way before Columbus ever got here.

I hope you all realize that the slave/plantation style economy far preceeds the English colonies in North America.

Italians used similar models in one of the Crusader states and the Portuguese imported African slaves to their offshore plantation colonies of Sao Tome and Principe in the late 15th century.

Also, African slavery existed for at least 800 years prior to the Atlantic Slave trade with a vibrant trade of slaves going to Arabia and Persia for centuries...

This here is key. The model for plantation slavery that developed in the "new world" in general was a Portuguese one, later adopted by the Spanish, then the French and the English in the West Indies. Slaves were acquired from African slave-trading kingdoms that had their earliest ties to the Islamic states centuries prior.

Last edited:

African slavery has existed as far back as Ancient Greece and Egypt, i don't think there was ever a time that it stopped in all of the areas near Africa.

Slavery existed in ancient Egypt, China and many other places..

Slavery in America hardly started with the white man. American Indians were enslaving each other way before Columbus ever got here.

And the Aztecs were well known for using people from subjugated peoples as servants (slaves) and for human sacrifice...

African slavery has existed as far back as Ancient Greece and Egypt, i don't think there was ever a time that it stopped in all of the areas near Africa.

I am pleased that you too recognise that slavery still continues both in Africa, the Middle East as well as other countries, I would include the USA in this category.

I am pleased that you too recognise that slavery still continues both in Africa, the Middle East as well as other countries, I would include the USA in this category.

Slavery is on every continent except Antarctica, usually in the from of sexual slavery, with women trafficked from the poorer parts of the world to 1st world countries where people can pay for them.

Two New David Duke Videos –

The Shocking Jewish Role in Slavery

Part I: What Jewish Historians Say

Part II: The Media Cover Up

Well it started when some indentured servants were sentenced to life as servants. A good example is the case of Anthony Johnson and John Casor. Here is where two Black men are embroiled in a law suit, Casor the indentured servant looses the case and becomes the first slave in Virginia, as a result of a sentence of life as a servant.

Slavery in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says he became the first *legally recognized* slave - that's different, though, than "we have slaves . . . "

The first record of African slavery in British colonial America was made in 1619. The White Lion, . . . The White Lion had been damaged first by the battle and then more severely in a great storm when it came ashore at Old Point Comfort, site of present day Fort Monroe in Virginia. Though the colony was in the middle of a period later known as "The Great Migration" (1618–1623), during which its population grew from 450 to 4,000 residents, extremely high mortality rates from disease, malnutrition, and war with Native Americans kept the population of able-bodied laborers low.[11] With the ship in severe need of repairs and supplies and the colonists being in need of able-bodied workers, the English pirates traded human cargo for food and services.
. . . .
The transformation from indentured servitude to racial slavery happened gradually. There were no laws regarding slavery early in Virginia's history. However, by 1640, the Virginia courts had sentenced at least one black servant to slavery.

In 1654, John Casor, an African, became the first legally recognized slave in the present United States. A court in Northampton County ruled against Casor, declaring him property for life, "owned" by the black colonist Anthony Johnson. Since persons with African origins were not English citizens by birth, they were not necessarily covered by English Common Law. . . .

This here is key. The model for plantation slavery that developed in the "new world" in general was a Portuguese one, later adopted by the Spanish, then the French and the English in the West Indies. Slaves were acquired from African slave-trading kingdoms that had their earliest ties to the Islamic states centuries prior.

And the history of 'owning slaves' goes back to the dawn of man - and is multi-cultural.

Nuh UH!!! They were peaceful and kind and loved the land and were helpful to the other tribes, and their chief would look at them sadly with a tear in his eye if anyone left litter on the ground...

And the history of 'owning slaves' goes back to the dawn of man - and is multi-cultural.

I would say that it goes back as far as the dawn of agriculture and/or sedentary societies in general.

Only it wasn't a societal norm in the Americas. It was certain tribes out of the hundreds which existed. And these all had different arrangements. Some were more indentured servitude, others were full blown slaves. To compare the slavery of the old continent to that of the new world, if it can even be called slavery in the new continent, is dishonest to say the least. The accounts of slavery among Aborigines in the Americas are too scattered for us to perceive them as something American Indians did in general.

Last edited:

Blacks brought over on slave ships were not indentured servants and neither were the majority (99.99999%) of Blacks forcibly brought to teh shores of America. Slavery for Blacks was never a generality, it was a reality. A brutal and uncivil and reprehensible reality,

The way slaves were treated and used differs here.

Not in the smae way. Why are people here belittling the ugliness of the American slave trade and institution involving Black persons as chattel? By the time of the US Constitution other nations were banning the trade as the Southern Confederate states were arguing for an extension and right to trade and own slaves.

Back
Top Bottom