• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sky censors John Oliver in UK ...

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Brexit: Sky Delays 'John Oliver' Episode - Hollywood Reporter

Tsk Mr Murdoch, shows your true colours yet again.. And you are not even British.

BTW, this is on a pay TV channel with limited coverage in the UK, so even if it was a "political show", it would most likely not count because so few people can see it.

A very factual and good walk through by John Oliver. He exposes UKIP for what type of people they are... :2wave:

Tsk Mr Murdoch, shows your true colours yet again.. And you are not even British.

BTW, this is on a pay TV channel with limited coverage in the UK, so even if it was a "political show", it would most likely not count because so few people can see it.

A very factual and good walk through by John Oliver. He exposes UKIP for what type of people they are... :2wave:

If "so few people can see it" and "this is on a pay TV channel with limited coverage in the UK" then what's the big deal about delaying the broadcast since hardly anyone would see it otherwise? Plus, if it's not a political show as you insinuate ("even if it was a "political show") then why put it forward as you do when you say: "A very factual and good walk through by John Oliver. He exposes UKIP for what type of people they are..." in the last line of the OP?

I'm not a UKIP fan by any means, but, doesn't Mr. Murdock have the right to do what he wants with his television channels that he owns?

They ran a special on media reporting on Brexit this morning in Deutschland Funk. In it they pointed out that Mr Murdoch's news papers take different positions on it and that it is the individual paper's call, what they want to report and comment the referendum.

and you show your ignorance

According to the Office of Communications (Ofcom), the UK’s communications regulator, broadcasting companies must abide by a strict code, which includes "special impartiality requirements" when it comes to content shown at the time of elections. The code states that Oliver’s rant must provide a counterargument to his point to avoid "the exclusion of views or opinions."

John Oliver’s anti-Brexit rant won’t air in the UK until after polls close - Vox

Whatever led to this, it's probably by now been seen by more people on youtube than it would have been seen on TV. Whether Murdoch's bunch (Sky Atlantic) were truly complying with Ofcom or not, the days when holding a satellite monopoly allowed for manipulating what was seen and what not are long since over.

Britain's regulatory Ofcom is something of a joke anyway in view of the print press in Britain being able to spew whatever bilious slander it wants to at the opposing camp, right up til the voting booths close and beyond.

Apart from the question arising of what this has to do with the topic of this particular thread, by your comment you have clearly also not understood the article you're citing.

yep wrong thread, but i guess you cant understand English

yep wrong thread, but i guess you cant understand English
Gets kind of ridiculous when you project a problem onto others where it's in fact you that appears to have it.

But I see that your faulty reading comprehension has already been explained to you in the other thread where you posted this, so no need to derail this here any further.

It wasn't censorship, it's the communications act (under which OFCOM operates) requirement for "due impartiality"

5.5 Due impartiality on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy must be preserved on the part of any person providing a service (listed above). This may be achieved within a programme or over a series of programmes taken as a whole.

With the best will in the world (and I agree with Oliver) the Brexit slot was a tad one-sided. Murdoch can ill afford to fall foul of the regulators again.

I watched it online already.

It wasn't censorship, it's the communications act (under which OFCOM operates) requirement for "due impartiality"

5.5 Due impartiality on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy must be preserved on the part of any person providing a service (listed above). This may be achieved within a programme or over a series of programmes taken as a whole.

With the best will in the world (and I agree with Oliver) the Brexit slot was a tad one-sided. Murdoch can ill afford to fall foul of the regulators again.

a tad one sided?

If I ever face a firing squad I'll make that point to the officer.:mrgreen:

We Brits are normally understated. John's been in the US too long.... ;):2wave::lamo

True that. I loved the piece, but it really wasn't suitable for broadcast in the UK in the lead-up to an election or referendum.

It went out last night as the polls closed, and the world caved in.

Back
Top Bottom