• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Singapore PM criticizes U.S. `game of chicken'

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is the best I read so far and he is aptly right. (read the comments too).
(CNN) -- Singapore's prime minister openly criticized the United States over the government shutdown and ongoing deadlock over the debt ceiling, calling them "problems you have created for yourself in a game of chicken."
In an interview with CNN's Patricia Wu on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said Americans "are unable to get their act together," and that Washington's behavior sends a "negative signal which will last much longer that the shutdown."
The government shutdown led U.S. President Barack Obama to cancel his attendance at the APEC Leaders' summit just days before he was meant to arrive. The summit finishes today in Bali, Indonesia. Aside from Taiwan, Obama is the only leader missing among the 21 economies of the APEC group, which together account for half the world's output, 45% of its trade and 3 billion of its inhabitants.
Singapore PM criticizes U.S. `game of chicken' - CNN.com

Obama is criticized for not going.
If he goes, Obama would not have been criticized..

Change issue.
Replace going with the keywords of the next issue.

Can't imagine why he didn't go to the summit. It's not like he's done anything here.

Got to feel busy trying to solve a crisis.

Latest straw man thread attacking the President to take their eyes off the prize that is disappearing.

This is the best I read so far and he is aptly right. (read the comments too). Singapore PM criticizes U.S. `game of chicken' - CNN.com

Meh, this is the type of issue I don't get bent over: it's totally partisan and will be resolved the moment perceived political costs outweigh the benefits for one of the groups involved. As a country we have many real issues that are much more precarious and carry very long term consequences that I am more concerned with

Meh, this is the type of issue I don't get bent over: it's totally partisan and will be resolved the moment perceived political costs outweigh the benefits for one of the groups involved. As a country we have many real issues that are much more precarious and carry very long term consequences that I am more concerned with

Just keep your fingers crossed on debt ceiling, otherwise catastrophe.

Just keep your fingers crossed on debt ceiling, otherwise catastrophe.

lol, no that will be the bonus round of problems we create for ourselves and which are totally avoidable. Our real problems are not so easily dealt with

It does seem to be the American way to view piling on debt as a solution to something. It is a recent sentiment. When I was young that sort of idea wouldn't have been tolerated.

If he goes, Obama would not have been criticized..

Change issue.
Replace going with the keywords of the next issue.

Wrong:

If he went he would be criticized NO LESS.

I could almost write the critics myself ...wah-wah-wah...we have a crisis and our president is wasting money on jetting across the globe. Obama have never taken a trip that wasn't criticized by the right.

It's 5 years now and you people have been given a chance to be a little objective but you bitch about each and every move Obama takes ....and now it seems America is getting tired of your consistent whining!!

In an interview with CNN's Patricia Wu on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said Americans "are unable to get their act together,"
Yes we're so "inept" here in the US that our country controls 25% of the global economy and therefore our internal politics are currently of great concern to the entire world as to how their own economies will perform.

Yes we're so "inept" here in the US that our country controls 25% of the global economy and therefore our internal politics are currently of great concern to the entire world as to how their own economies will perform.

that speaks to historical circumstances of the past and our ability to manage them (either through luck or skill), but that hardly acts as a guarantee that such trends will continue or that they are being perpetuated, currently.

that speaks to historical circumstances
The US controlling 25% of the global economy is not just a historical circumstance. At presently it happens to be a fact.

but that hardly acts as a guarantee that such trends will continue or that they are being perpetuated, currently.
Well they won't continue indefinitely because all superpowers eventually decline. I just get a little annoyed when nations that depend on us to be the engine for the world economy claim that "We don't have our act together."

The US controlling 25% of the global economy is not just a historical circumstance. At presently it happens to be a fact.

my point was that such isn't the natural consequence of being american. And just as deft handling of historical events in the past lead us to this point, their mismanagement can certainly lead us away from it.

Well they won't continue indefinitely because all superpowers eventually decline. I just get a little annoyed when nations that depend on us to be the engine for the world economy claim that "We don't have our act together."

well we don't, currently. And ignoring such facts, or getting peeved over people calling us out on them, is going to do little to change that

well we don't, currently. And ignoring such facts, or getting peeved over people calling us out on them, is going to do little to change that
Nevertheless, my point stands.

IMO it is fact we don't have our act together as far as the finances goes or else we wouldn't be 17 trillion in debt. Our position in the world was thanks to the WWII generation and the rest of us rode to the top on their backs. Since then we loved the idea of letting our children and grand children pay for all of our excesses. I read somewhere where China will replace us economically at the top of the later in 3 or 4 years. I think we are already in decline and it is a steep one at that.

Whoa partner!
You missed the sarcasm dude.
Let me expand.
Obama has been rowing into the headwinds of Hurricane GOP for 56 months.
Wrong:

If he went he would be criticized NO LESS.

I could almost write the critics myself ...wah-wah-wah...we have a crisis and our president is wasting money on jetting across the globe. Obama have never taken a trip that wasn't criticized by the right.

It's 5 years now and you people have been given a chance to be a little objective but you bitch about each and every move Obama takes ....and now it seems America is getting tired of your consistent whining!!

IMO it is fact we don't have our act together as far as the finances goes or else we wouldn't be 17 trillion in debt.
Ah yes, defining America solely by our faults is always a common tactic.

Our position in the world was thanks to the WWII generation
And a major part of our debt is due to social security which was started by the WWII generation and they have been the biggest recipients of it. Not to mention that it was president Reagan (from the WWII generation) that began on us on the debt road that we're still on.

Since then we loved the idea of letting our children and grand children pay for all of our excesses.
You really have to get over this blind love affair that you have for the WWII generation and realize that although they should be credited for some things they also had a great deal of responsibility for bringing about our current problems.

I read somewhere where China will replace us economically at the top of the later in 3 or 4 years.
Yes I read that same thing 3 years ago myself and it still hasn't come to fruition yet. The fact is that despite having FOUR TIMES our population China only has a little over half our GDP.

I think we are already in decline and it is a steep one at that.
Well keep hoping if that's what you secretly desire. :roll:

Ah yes, defining America solely by our faults is always a common tactic.

And a major part of our debt is due to social security which was started by the WWII generation and they have been the biggest recipients of it. Not to mention that it was president Reagan (from the WWII generation) that began on us on the debt road that we're still on.

You really have to get over this blind love affair that you have for the WWII generation and realize that although they should be credited for some things they also had a great deal of responsibility for bringing about our current problems.

Yes I read that same thing 3 years ago myself and it still hasn't come to fruition yet. The fact is that despite having FOUR TIMES our population China only has a little over half our GDP.

Well keep hoping if that's what you secretly desire. :roll:

Desire has nothing to do with the decline of the U.S. I would like to see her strong forever. But from my perspective, I see our elected officials only worrying about the next election and more than willing to pass the burden of living good today onto our children and grandchildren. After all they won't be around when the check becomes do.

I see most Americans more than willing to pass on hard times to those not born in order to live the good life today. I do truely love the WWII generation, my dad was part of that, suffering through the depression only to have to put all on the line during WWII. That generation would be more than willing to scarifice a little for the future of this country. Not the following generations though.

Have you been to the cartoon sub-forums on "the lighter side".
I have to leave when I'm LOL so mbad I can hardly breathe.
Both ways and even new ones.
Desire has nothing to do with the decline of the U.S. I would like to see her strong forever. But from my perspective, I see our elected officials only worrying about the next election and more than willing to pass the burden of living good today onto our children and grandchildren. After all they won't be around when the check becomes do.

I see most Americans more than willing to pass on hard times to those not born in order to live the good life today. I do truely love the WWII generation, my dad was part of that, suffering through the depression only to have to put all on the line during WWII. That generation would be more than willing to scarifice a little for the future of this country. Not the following generations though.

Yeah, Wraith, you seem to be reacting to criticism in general, as opposed to considering if such criticism has merit. Such blind patriotism is hardly something of virtue

Have you been to the cartoon sub-forums on "the lighter side".
I have to leave when I'm LOL so mbad I can hardly breathe.
Both ways and even new ones.

No, but Polgara sends me some good ones.

Desire has nothing to do with the decline of the U.S. I would like to see her strong forever.
That's not the vibe I get from you but if you say so.

But from my perspective, I see our elected officials only worrying about the next election and more than willing to pass the burden of living good today onto our children and grandchildren. After all they won't be around when the check becomes do. .
I couldn't agree with you more. However I'm still annoyed when other countries that depend on our economy to help fuel their own criticize us (which was my initial point.)

I do truely love the WWII generation, my dad was part of that, suffering through the depression only to have to put all on the line during WWII. That generation would be more than willing to scarifice a little for the future of this country. Not the following generations though.
Well I'm sorry but the WWII generation does have some responsibility for the mess we're in now. There's simply no way of getting around that.

I highly recommend them, at the highest level I can.

OTOH, can't we just sit down and have a "conversation"?

And now, the Turd Blossoms are blaming the Media.

Also, Obama did signal a short-term default.

Will Boehner grab the branch and pull himself out of quicksand?
No, but Polgara sends me some good ones.

Back
Top Bottom