• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

simple "art" able to convey the intersection of faith and the science of "climate change???"

Germinator

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
w/ earth day 2021 approaching, thought I'd see what others opinion is of my "artistic" take on the intersection of faith and science (from a catholic perspective)

first off to try and make the point that there are consequences for actions and that god seems to favor people who listen,... what came to mind is the story of noah

2021-satirical-catholic-4x6-earth-day-postcard.png

also since the bible covers lots of ideas, thought I'd try and summarize as well as bridge old school religious ideas w/ modern life,...

1st-commandment-AND-the-mark-of-the-beast.png

1st-commandment-AND-the-mark-of-the-beast-4x6-postcard.png

It would apear that CO2 levels at the time of Noah would have been much greater than today to result in all ice melting to produce sea level great enough to flood the Earth, though the levels must have also decreased extremely fast to result in water becoming polar ice allowing the lands t reappear. And humans along with the OTHER animals survived.

IMO, people should worship neither material goods nor immaterial Gods.

It would apear that CO2 levels at the time of Noah would have been much greater than today to result in all ice melting to produce sea level great enough to flood the Earth, though the levels must have also decreased extremely fast to result in water becoming polar ice allowing the lands t reappear.

as just anther knucklehead w/ a physics degree what I've learned is two factors influence the global climate,...

1st earth orbital dynamics (i.e. the closer earth is to the sun the warmer the planet AND the further away the earth is from the sun the cooler the planet)

2nd concentrations of green house gases in the atmosphere which trap infrared radiation (i.e. higher concentrations of CO2 warm the planet)

having gone to catholic schools before going to university, am quite familiar w/ the story of Noah

actually looking into the flood story as a scientist one finds there is another similar account (i.e. Noah's Flood vs the Epic of Gilgamesh)

the reason its important to frame climate change in religious terms is because lots of people who have a religious bias outlook on life have zero understanding of science,... so to get people up to speed lets consider what science has uncovered about what actually happened 10,000 BCE (when global sea levels were much lower)

1280px-Doggerland.svg.png

point being Noah's Flood and the Epic of Gilgamesh are stories based upon events that ancient people experienced AND because from what I seen first hand that many conservative catholics have basically zero scientific understand and a deniers outlook

PI_2015-10-22_religion-and-science_4-01.png

bottom line,... if the goal is to get society motivated to address the issue of climate change, then its important to get people w/ a religious outlook on board (that climate change is a very real threat to the well being of people all around the world)

Last edited:
I'm a pro-choice atheist, and accept as fact that human activities have an effect on our environment, polluting our air, water and land.
It might be that climate change will be natures way of solving a problem that we humans refuse to recognize, overpopulation of the world we live in.

Back
Top Bottom