• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Silly laws.

sbrettt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
For example I heard of a law in I think Alabama where wrestling a bear is illegal. I want to hear some silly laws that you guys know of.

In New York you are not allowed to take a manual transmission car out of gear while going down a hill.

In Arizona it's illegal to hunt camels.

Florida is a hot mess.

There are literally numerous webpages for this nonsense. I first found out about this stuff on facebook some years ago.

Take your pick:

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

In Miami Beach - Persons face up to thirty days in jail for selling oranges on the sidewalk.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

In Sarasota - You may not catch crabs.

In Daytona Beach - The molestation of trash cans is banned.

That's not half of them, luckily some have been repealed. Very silly stuff.

It is illegal to drive blindfolded in Alabama.

In Wyoming it's illegal for a woman to drink standing within 5' of a bar

For example I heard of a law in I think Alabama where wrestling a bear is illegal. I want to hear some silly laws that you guys know of.

There used to be a website about this. I don't remember which state but one state had/has a law that says every adult male must take a rifle to church to ward off Indian attacks.

In Augusta Maine, you're not allowed to stroll the streets playing a violin.

...no mention of ukeleles.

All places of business must provide a horse water trough.

Dodge City, Kansas

Nebraska:
A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.

They don't say what the penalty is, but I bet a fart would be worse.

In Tylertown Mississippi it is unlawful to shave in the center of main street.

In Oxford Mississippi it is illegal to cheer unless there is reason to.

This all makes me want rise and sing our beloved national anthem to the entire world.

Just this week i saw on the news I believe in one of the Carolina's a city ordinance was passed making it mandatory that all homeowners own a gun. Later, they said this will not be enforced.

Just a few that I know of....

CT - Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs

IN - You cannot sell bait worms on Sunday

MA - All men must bring their firearms to church
MA - An automobile must have its engine removed when it encounters a horse or carriage. The engine may be replaced once the horse has passed
MA - Women may only drive a car if there is a man carrying a red lantern in front of her to warn other drivers
MA - It is Legal for a resident to shoot a known Rhode Island resident entering the Commonwealth

Nebraska:
A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service.

They don't say what the penalty is, but I bet a fart would be worse.

What kind of parent hasn't taught their kids that both a burp & fart can be disguised by a cough and a stern sideways glare at a sibling can deflect blame for any ensuing malodor. Sheesh, parents today.

Just this week i saw on the news I believe in one of the Carolina's a city ordinance was passed making it mandatory that all homeowners own a gun. Later,
they said this will not be enforced

That concept seems to have caught on at the Federal level too.

There ought to be a law that allows for stoning (with BIG ASS rocks, not weed) of anyone that feels the need to drag politics into every ****ing single topic and thread.

In Providence R.I. you're not allowed to sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same person on a Sunday.

...no mention of mouthwash

In New York you are not allowed to take a manual transmission car out of gear while going down a hill.

Eh, that one makes at least some sense. If you're in gear the engine will help slow down the care some in the case where brakes fail. Granted one could put the car back in to gear if the brakes failed.

And just with a few of these laws posted here, can anyone doubt that we suffer under too much useless, ineffective, meddlesome government that can't keep its house in order and doesn't keep itself current?

Back
Top Bottom