• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Silly Dicks Sporting Goods

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So I don't know how many of you are aware, but they don't sell handguns. Not sure of their reason. They also don't seek ARs. So let me ask you guys:

Is this a logical stance?

Now consider this piece of information:

They still sell Handgun ammo and ammo for "ar pattern rifles (aka .223).

Is it still logical?

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

So I don't know how many of you are aware, but they don't sell handguns. Not sure of their reason. They also don't seek ARs. So let me ask you guys:

Is it still logical?

they sell bolt action 223 rifles though

Is it still logical?

They ought to change their name. Or at LEAST add an apostrophe.

Is it still logical?

They don't sell handguns or scary rifles. They do have some pretty good sales on ammo for both.

Logical? I guess if you figure in that they have rifles on the wall that use .223 and some that shoot handgun rounds, it makes sense. In any case, ammo is selling like crazy. Any store would be silly not to get in on it.

They don't sell handguns or scary rifles. They do have some pretty good sales on ammo for both.

Logical? I guess if you figure in that they have rifles on the wall that use .223 and some that shoot handgun rounds, it makes sense. In any case, ammo is selling like crazy. Any store would be silly not to get in on it.

Well that is the point: if you are going to compromise your morals for handgun ammo, but not the handgun...that makes no sense. I mean...who is buying .45acp bullets? Or .38 special or 9mm? 99% of the time? Handgun owners.

Well that is the point: if you are going to compromise your morals for handgun ammo, but not the handgun...that makes no sense. I mean...who is buying .45acp bullets? Or .38 special or 9mm? 99% of the time? Handgun owners.

You are right of course. I would not attribute their actions to morality though. Being PC is seldom about morals, it is usually about optics.

They take down the scary rifles from the wall, and the scary handguns are removed from the display case. That makes the PC crowd happy as they walk by to get their $300 running shoes and fitbit. Meanwhile, they continue the more lucrative ammo sales with a wink of the eye as they pull a, 40% off, ten pound box of ammo from under the counter.

I am not sure if it will continue to work. Usually, when one tries to make everyone happy, they make nobody happy.

Are we sure it's a morality thing or a matter of conviction? Could it be a licensing, liability, monetary thing? Perhaps the cost of selling such weaponry exceeds the profit return?

I would sell .223 rounds myself.........................why not?

It's not a question of logical.

But..........if they sold a AR-15 that ended up shooting 49 Americans, their stock would be lower than whale crap with all the liberal media attention, and they would have every knee jerk liberal azzwipe protesting every shopping mall in the USA that has a Dicks store.

Is it still logical?

Interesting, you know whats funny . .. There are tons of them around here in pittsburgh. I even have familiar that works at their shipping/warehouse facility and I never knew what you just claimed. Not saying its not true, I just never knew it or paid attention.

Around here they are just mainly thought of an actually sports store more so towards physical sports like football, basketball, cross country, hockey, baseball, softball, kayaking, golf and weightlifting . . stuff like that. they have good camping gear too. But I can honestly say as much as i buy ammo or gun related stuff they have never even crossed my mind for some reason.

I use two local gun shops, one calls themseleves a sporting goods but they only have hunting stuff, and I use Gander Mountain and Cabela's.

Its odd how things like that vary geographically.I bet most people here feel the same they don't think of them has a gun place but more sports and exercise than anything else. Maybe in other areas they are a main source? I dont know

anyway . . it doesnt seem logically I guess but its their store and with how much they make on the sports ends maybe they just dont really care?

Maybe theres laws that would affect them around here? I mean dicks are in malls around here, not sure if we have gun stores in malls here? I dont know just a weird thing.

Anyway if they did become a full time gun shop id probably still go the other places.

Perhaps the cost of selling such weaponry exceeds the profit return?

It could well be. Sporting goods are high-volume, low-margin enterprises. Doesn't take much to knock the margins out of whack.

Hand guns and AR-15's are legal products. It's also basically a free market, or at least it's free enough for them to choose what they wish to sell and what they do not wish to sell.

As for why they make their choices, I really don't care. I know where to buy handguns and AR-15's should I wish to do so. Plus, the local Gander Mountain and REI, put our local Dicks Sporting Goods out of business.

It could well be. Sporting goods are high-volume, low-margin enterprises. Doesn't take much to knock the margins out of whack.

Just sayin', you buy a dozen AR's, and the market only sends a couple out the door every week or so, it's just money sitting on a shelf.

It is a sports store. They sell rifles with the primary purpose of hunting, which is a sport. I don't find it odd that they don't sell weapons intended primarily for self defense. There are other stores that specialize in the more self defense type weapons.

I don't think it is a morality call on their part. Though maybe they feel the protesting and licensing requirements would be an economic hassle not worth taking.

They ought to change their name. Or at LEAST add an apostrophe.

2 apostrophes?

200px-Dick's_Sporting_Goods.svg.png

Is it still logical?

Walmart does the same thing

Is it still logical?

In texs even walmart does not sell ar15's, and has not sold handguns nationwide in a long time. never use dicks, their selection is terrible. In centex I go local to academy or gander mountain, and if I want massive selection I go to bass pro in austin and cabelas in I think new braunfels I do not remember anymore.

Is it still logical?

Of course it is logical. Stores that want to stay in business need to make logical choices. Those choices will always be guided by economics or PERCEIVED economics. ie if they believe gun control can organise publicity and boycotts that will reduce sales.....

The problem is firearm owners are not organised and have no leadership like gun control so they can do nothing in return or give assurances.

I buy all my weapons at Peckers.

Back
Top Bottom