• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Signs of Economic Hope Are Growing, Some With Superlatives

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Very good economic news that supports Jerome Powell's comments last week that the US economy is at an inflection point.

The American economic recovery is gathering steam, renewing confidence that a vibrant revival awaits as the pandemic recedes.

After months of false starts, evidence is mounting that the economy has definitively turned a corner, with more growth on the horizon. Job gains last month were the strongest since August. There are signs that the snarled global supply chain may be untangling.

And in dual reports on Thursday, the government reported more good news: Retail sales in March blew past expectations, rising nearly 10 percent, and jobless claims last week fell to their lowest level of the pandemic.

Link

China is also showing signs of a substantial improvement in economic activity. That's also good news for the west as China is in love with western goods so their spending will help drive our recovery.

China reported on Friday that its economy grew by a jaw-dropping 18.3 percent in the first three months of the year compared with the same period last year. While the figure is steep, it is as much a reflection of the past — the country’s output shrank 6.8 percent in the first quarter of 2020 from a year earlier — as it is an indication of how China is doing now.

A year ago, entire cities were shut down, planes were grounded and highways were blocked to control the spread of a relentless virus. Today, global demand for computer screens and video consoles that China makes is soaring as people work from home and as a pandemic recovery beckons. That demand has continued as Americans with stimulus checks look to spend money on patio furniture, electronics and other goods made in Chinese factories.

Link

Nope. It's called the "Virus is finally getting under control" bounce.

Gee, how’d that happen? State governors finally get their shit together, I guess.

Amazing how state governors got super competent at their jobs juuuuuust after Trump was kicked out of office.

Very good economic news that supports Jerome Powell's comments last week that the US economy is at an inflection point.

Link

China is also showing signs of a substantial improvement in economic activity. That's also good news for the west as China is in love with western goods so their spending will help drive our recovery.

Link

The China number is dubious much like our 33% value for q2 2020. On an animalized basis, China's economy grew 6.5% YoY.

Nope. It's called the "Virus is finally getting under control" bounce.

Are you purposefully ignoring the economic impact of deficit spending? Typical, but it's expected.

i'm pleased to see the short term good news. my guess is that there are some bubbles, though, and that makes me nervous.

i'm pleased to see the short term good news. my guess is that there are some bubbles, though, and that makes me nervous.
When you look at the charts, especially for ETFs, that seems to be a concern. But the market is forward looking so the big boys may be more optimistic than the rest of us.

Financial markets are way overvalued. But the labor market has ways to grow in order to eclipse pre-pandemic levels.

Back
Top Bottom