• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Signed up for my Medical Marijuana card

I looked at a lot of boilable bags on eBay & the only ones that seemed to work in the boiling water application had strong plastic smells, which I don't want in my edibles. So instead I'm looking at
Corning PYREX #1395-100, 100ml Round Media Storage Bottle, with GL45 Screw Cap (Pack of 2)

I'm a bit concerned about the boilability of the plastic caps, so with their flat bottoms I could stand one or both in a pan of boiling water. Pyrex is heat resistant & the glass bottles would be easier to clean out.

Cheaper is
Erlenmeyer Flask, 100ml - Borosilicate Glass - with PTFE Screw Cap - Conical Shape - White Graduations - Eisco Labs with flat bottom. This is also Pyrex glass. I could leave the cap on a little loose to prevent pressure build up from the escaping CO2. Easier to clean than a plastic bag.

You're also going to need a funnel (plastic) to get your ground dope into the flask. I suggest folding a standard sheet of typing paper in half & dumping the ground weed onto it, then using it to get the dope into the funnel.

Last edited:
I looked at a lot of boilable bags on eBay & the only ones that seemed to work in the boiling water application had strong plastic smells, which I don't want in my edibles. So instead I'm looking at
Corning PYREX #1395-100, 100ml Round Media Storage Bottle, with GL45 Screw Cap (Pack of 2)

I'm a bit concerned about the boilability of the plastic caps, so with their flat bottoms I could stand one or both in a pan of boiling water. Pyrex is heat resistant & the glass bottles would be easier to clean out.

Cheaper is
Erlenmeyer Flask, 100ml - Borosilicate Glass - with PTFE Screw Cap - Conical Shape - White Graduations - Eisco Labs with flat bottom. This is also Pyrex glass. I could leave the cap on a little loose to prevent pressure build up from the escaping CO2. Easier to clean than a plastic bag.

Could work! The only thing I've ever done other than smoking is making tinctures with everclear. Burned off as much alcohol as possible, tried some flavorings, and still too much alcohol burn and taste.

Could work! The only thing I've ever done other than smoking is making tinctures with everclear. Burned off as much alcohol as possible, tried some flavorings, and still too much alcohol burn and taste.
Be careful. Everclear is very flammable & toxic if ingested. It's like 95% alcohol.

Because the flask would have little weight, I will be adding small scale calibration weights to it to keep it steady on the pot floor while I'm boiling.

That might be true, however if you have good genetics and a good strain there is plenty of active thc on the plant without being decarbed.

Ehhh, I'm pretty sure it needs to be heated to activate it. I don't think you'll get high if you would, say, eat raw weed without heating it.

Ehhh, I'm pretty sure it needs to be heated to activate it. I don't think you'll get high if you would, say, eat raw weed without heating it.
I don't believe THC occurs naturally in Cannabis. It is all THCA which has to be decarboxylated either by smoking, baking or boiling to get THC.

The biochemistry of Cannabis THCA is interesting as it involves the cyclization of a fatty acid. So the acid is the end of the cyclized fatty acid. There is no mechanism in the plant to decarboxylate THCA.

Be careful. Everclear is very flammable & toxic if ingested. It's like 95% alcohol.

Oh yeah. I got a little drunk just from squeezing the weed in cheesecloth to strain it, after it had been soaked. I was pretty scared about heating it to burn off the alcohol, but I put the tincture in a metal measuring cup and held that down into water set on 3 on my electric stove. I'd let the tincture just get to bubbling and then pull it out of the water. Repeated that till it was reduced.

I think you are wrong. If you use a dry ice method to extract the trichomes off of a plant and then put that into a capsule and eat it, you'll get high. You can also make your own extract without decarbing. I don't know how long you've been involved with cannabis but I have for a long time and have done much research on the subject.

That might be true, however if you have good genetics and a good strain there is plenty of active thc on the plant without being decarbed.

You are correct but it depends on the strain & its genetics.

I think you are wrong. If you use a dry ice method to extract the trichomes off of a plant and then put that into a capsule and eat it, you'll get high. You can also make your own extract without decarbing. I don't know how long you've been involved with cannabis but I have for a long time and have done much research on the subject.

I've been more or less involved with it for just over half a century. (God I'm old). Everything I've read says it needs to be decarbed to get you high. If you have something that says otherwise I'm certainly open to reading it and learning. I'm not one to say I'm absolutely right on much of anything. ;)

I've been more or less involved with it for just over half a century. (God I'm old). Everything I've read says it needs to be decarbed to get you high. If you have something that says otherwise I'm certainly open to reading it and learning. I'm not one to say I'm absolutely right on much of anything. ;)
Here is an article that's somewhat technical but explains the relationship between HCA & THC: https://www.analyticalcannabis.com/articles/thca-vs-thc-what-are-the-differences-312205. THC is primarily formed by decarboxylation of THCA after the plant is harvested. Chewing on fresh plant will not get you high.

One interesting fact about THC: it is unstable to oxygen in the air & becomes a non-psychoactive chemical if left with air too long. Since my initial experiments will be with a gram f weed & a can on tomato soup, I'll look for little glass containers with screw tops to store it in the fridge.

Here is an article that's somewhat technical but explains the relationship between HCA & THC: https://www.analyticalcannabis.com/articles/thca-vs-thc-what-are-the-differences-312205. THC is primarily formed by decarboxylation of THCA after the plant is harvested. Chewing on fresh plant will not get you high.

One interesting fact about THC: it is unstable to oxygen in the air & becomes a non-psychoactive chemical if left with air too long. Since my initial experiments will be with a gram f weed & a can on tomato soup, I'll look for little glass containers with screw tops to store it in the fridge.

I didn't read the article because webroot says the site may contain content that can affect my online security. That said, nothing I have found says that weed will get you high until its heated, but I'm always willing to learn.

My new vaporizer is already in CO, from NJ. Says delivery Tuesday, but I'm hoping for Monday.

Did you ever hear about decarbing before edibles? I haven't. Try everything for yourself, it's nothing more than an ongoing experiment. I particularly like the dry ice method for kief.

Roughly 2 weeks to go before I receive my MM card. I have the CanBuy app on my tablet but I'm going to withdraw $100 from my ATM just as a backup in case of any problems.

Did you ever hear about decarbing before edibles? I haven't. Try everything for yourself, it's nothing more than an ongoing experiment. I particularly like the dry ice method for kief.

No, but there was no reason to have heard about it since smoking is what was done, and the heat from that is what activates the thc. And kief? You heat that also, eventually.

Roughly 2 weeks to go before I receive my MM card. I have the CanBuy app on my tablet but I'm going to withdraw $100 from my ATM just as a backup in case of any problems.

And some ones. Gotta tip.

I've seen edibles prepared by first heating the weed in oil in a frying pan to decarb it.

Back
Top Bottom