• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Sign or X-mas Decoration????

your post still appears to indicate you refuse to recognize that you actually chose to become a member of the HOA
it was a price you CHOSE to pay in order to have a shorter commute than to live in a more distant non-HOA community

read my post again for comprehension.

read my post again for comprehension.

i did. here it is. notice the (added bold) portion which directly confirms what is found within my own post:
it's not a choice. the vast majority of neighborhoods within commuting distance for my wife and me have mandatory HOAs. if it were a choice, i would not have joined one, as i have said since i was 25 that i would never be a member of one of the ****ing things.

as for your hyperbolic examples, we don't have an HOA at my home in our hometown. no one in the neighborhood is doing any of the things that you have listed.

either way, i suppose that we'll see how it goes. even though we've been corralled into a somewhat questionable donation every month, maybe getting involved with the HOA will be interesting.

i did. here it is. notice the (added bold) portion which directly confirms what is found within my own post:

that's my post, for sure. i'm not sure where you're getting confused. it's pretty straightforward.

where i get confused (well, not really, lol) is that if HOAs are so awesome, why not organize one after purchase?

answer : because a lot of people wouldn't sign up. welp, that sucks, but if it's good enough to use that concept to destroy unions, then i support using the strategy to regulate mandatory HOAs.

if the HOA is such a good deal, why wouldn't people sign up for it voluntarily?

A HOA is simply a mini-government. It works much like any other local (e.g. city or county) government - once you reside within its territory you are subject to its rules. Did you "sign up" to fall under the jurisdiction of your city/county? Yep, by moving within its established boundaries.

https://dmlnews.com/family-told-remove-offensive-jesus-christmas-display-video-pictures/

How the hell is anyone truly "offended" by this???? Truly pathetic.

Now, from the HOA point of view, is it a sign? Looks like a sign.
What makes a sign, a "sign"?

(Lets not even talk about that teeny tiny nativity scene that reminds me of the mini Stonehenge in Spinal Tap. :lamo)

The jesus? Sign or X-mas decoration?

(please don't turn this into the evils of HOA's discussion it might turn into)

It's idiotic for sure. It's Christmas and the HOA decides basically the birth of Jesus which is what Christmas celebrates is now offensive. I would never live or buy anyplace where a HOA exists.

A HOA is simply a mini-government. It works much like any other local (e.g. city or county) government - once you reside within its territory you are subject to its rules. Did you "sign up" to fall under the jurisdiction of your city/county? Yep, by moving within its established boundaries.

i'm already covered by a local government. we live in a town.

i'm already covered by a local government. we live in a town.

Yep, and that town added a layer of government on territory already within a county and a state. As I said, the HOA is simply another layer of government.

Yep, and that town added a layer of government on territory already within a county and a state. As I said, the HOA is simply another layer of government.

i don't really agree. it's a private entity that has figured out a way to burrow in like a parasite to sell people what they already have or could get cheaper if there were competition. no one is going to build a shed in the wrong place where i live or put up an unsightly jungle gym in their front yards. i live in a community of cool brick townhomes. they don't have yards. either way, if i can spare the time, i might get involved just to see what's going on.

It's idiotic for sure. It's Christmas and the HOA decides basically the birth of Jesus which is what Christmas celebrates is now offensive. I would never live or buy anyplace where a HOA exists.

No. You missed the point.

The HOA has a rule about SIGNS. Not about Christmas, or jesus. Signs.

Signs.

No. You missed the point.

The HOA has a rule about SIGNS. Not about Christmas, or jesus. Signs.

Signs.

Okay. Moral of the story, never buy a house or live anywhere near where there is a HOA.

when most houses within driving distance of where i work are covered by mandatory HOAs, yes, i'm forced to be a member of one. if it's such a great service, people would sign up voluntarily. the fact that you have to force people to sign up as a condition of purchase indicates that it's probably a bull**** scam in a lot of cases.

either way, it is what it is. i might get more involved with our HOA so that i can observe it from the inside. the dues at my new place are significant, so it would be pretty interesting to see where all of that money is really going.

It only works if everyone signs up. Don't move into newer tract housing. Older houses have no HOAs. It isn't that hard.

it's not a choice. the vast majority of neighborhoods within commuting distance for my wife and me have mandatory HOAs.

Majority. Not all. Stop being emotional.

It only works if everyone signs up. Don't move into newer tract housing. Older houses have no HOAs. It isn't that hard.

refer to early posts in which this point is addressed.

Majority. Not all. Stop being emotional.

i'm not being emotional. i'm arguing that HOAs should sell their product to homeowners after they've bought the property. if the service is good, people will purchase it.

HOA's have been around in different forms since 1710 on this continent.

Many older houses are subject to use restrictions, some for mutual benefit with neighbors in lieu of zoning regulations, some, not enforceable since enactment of Civil Rights laws, restricting who can move live in a house.

Per example: "No Black, Chinese, Jewish, Mexican, Polish, Irish, Italian or other nonwhite races other than as servants may inhabit this dwelling." "nonwhite" was a euphemism for Papist, Catholics.

Today in full force and effect: This property may not be used as a slaughter house, tannery, smithery, candler, or for any other trade that emits noxious fumes. Fences may be no higher than 3 feet. Outhouses may be no nearer than 6 from neighboring borders. Drainage easements may not be built upon or filled in. No commercial signs other than for doctors may be posted. Stables must be mucked and fresh straw laid daily by 1 hour after sunrise. Well water may not be used for gardening. All dwellings are restricted to three stories in height, including gables and attics. All structures must be setback 20 feet from the street line. No abandoned vehicles may stored on the premises in plain sight. No furniture may be use on the front lawn. Post boxes may be no higher than 3 and 1/2 feet from the ground, no more than 1 1/2 cubic feet in size.

Other restrictions were put into place by developers to maintain architectural uniformity, governing materials, roofing, chimney locations and height, colors, styles, and so forth, including interior paint colors.

https://dmlnews.com/family-told-remove-offensive-jesus-christmas-display-video-pictures/

(Lets not even talk about that teeny tiny nativity scene that reminds me of the mini Stonehenge in Spinal Tap. :lamo)

HOA's are micro little fascist societies, if you are stupid enough to buy a home in one, you are subject to fighting with people with too much time on thier hands dictating to you what you do with your property.

Still don't see where the HOA in question has a written rule against any signs. Maybe I just missed it. The OP said that someone (who?) found the sign "offensive."

No doubt some people found my "Vote for David Valadao" (congressman from this district) sign offensive, but there is no HOA with a rule against signs. Had there been, I wouldn't have posted it.

What's the 'DML' in DML News stand for?

I saw this one here in liberal California. No one has been offended. There is no HOA to complain, either. No war on Christmas or on signs or on Jesus here.

Jesus Gonzalez, Jesus Gomez, and Jesus Alvarez all said they weren't offended either.

sign.jpg

I saw this one here in liberal California. No one has been offended. There is no HOA to complain, either. No war on Christmas or on signs or on Jesus here.

Jesus Gonzalez, Jesus Gomez, and Jesus Alvarez all said they weren't offended either.

Are you at war with Christianity? Offering proof Jesus Christ didn't exist, because we all know there were no Mexicans in the mideast when the Romans were there? Shame on you. :)

THIMK before you post.

I need another shot of Jack. Best thing about the holidays, people bring booze.

i'm not being emotional. i'm arguing that HOAs should sell their product to homeowners after they've bought the property. if the service is good, people will purchase it.

It's not a service. It's a means to keep control collectively among the homeowners. They want to ensure a certain level of quality in their neighborhood. Everyone must sign on. Don't like it, don't buy a house there. Why are you still arguing over this?

It's not a service. It's a means to keep control collectively among the homeowners. They want to ensure a certain level of quality in their neighborhood. Everyone must sign on. Don't like it, don't buy a house there. Why are you still arguing over this?

did you miss the multiple posts in which i already explained this?

I wonder what they would do if I had a giant picture of this in the window.

reindeer-foods-photo-u1.jpg

Santa's decided to take Uber this year.

did you miss the multiple posts in which i already explained this?

No, I'm just pointing out that, no matter what your rationalization is, you're still in the same boat and you're still whining about it.

Back
Top Bottom