• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sign of the times from Chicago

NatMorton

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From WSJ.com (paywall):

In Chicago, Wealthy Neighborhoods Hire Their Own Private Police as Crime Rises​

Armed patrols by off-duty police officers in marked security cars combat carjackings, robberies

CHICAGO—Alarmed by growing numbers of carjackings and other street crimes, several neighborhoods on Chicago’s affluent North Side have signed up for patrols by armed off-duty police officers to create what some security companies are calling virtual gated communities.

At least five neighborhoods in or adjacent to Chicago’s North Side have added patrols for the first time in the past six months or are planning to sign up for patrols with P4 Security Solutions LLC, said Paul Ohm, executive vice president and principal.

The officers, who ride in marked security cars equipped with overhead lights, cameras and high-tech communications tools, aren’t tasked with making arrests, even though they are allowed to carry guns because they are sworn police officers. They contact 911 in an emergency and act as a deterrent, Mr. Ohm said.
The willingness of neighborhood associations to pay for security in neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park, Bucktown and Lakeview comes amid a surge of crime in Chicago and other cities, where interest in private security is also on the rise…

Just a reminder that both rich and poor pay at price for Progressive soft-on-crime policies, one way … or another.

News flash for the OP: private security for buildings and neighborhoods has been a thing for a few millennia now. I'm glad you're finally catching up.

The most dangerous cities in America are almost exclusively red cities in red states. Chicago never breaks into the top ten.

1. Anchorage, Alaska
2. Memphis, Tennessee Mississippi-Arkansas
3. Lubbock, Texas
4. Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, Michigan
5. Springfield, Missouri
6. San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, California
7. Corpus Christi, Texas
8. Shreveport-Bossier City, Louisiana
9. Stockton, California
10. Bakersfield, California

Last edited:
From WSJ.com (paywall):

Just a reminder that both rich and poor pay at price for Progressive soft-on-crime policies, one way … or another.
Both rich and poor pay a price for not investing enough to mitigate the root causes of crime and instead scaring people with law and order crap, "tough on crime" crap that solidifies an entire class of often unaccountable government agents with bloated budgets.

Also this merely reinforces the notion that the police literally aren't there to serve and protect at all.

And this from someone who is always spouting off about how the left is authoritarian and collectivist, whining about how we don't have enough government jackboots.

If conservatives actually ever actually gave a shit about the rule of law they wouldn't have Trump as their hero.

Yes.

As a teenager in the 1950s when people did not even talk about "crime," the casual and brazen lawlessness is outrageous.

Though it may be something that young Americans just accept as a feature of American life.

No one in the 1950s even conceived of ordinary people paying for alarm systems in their homes, let alone paying for private patrol cars to circulate 24/7 around the neighborhood looking for troublemakers. And, of course, cops stationed inside schools was unheard of. A teacher's word was enough to maintain order.

Yes, some of the reforms of the 1960s were good.

But, sadly, they also opened up opportunities for those individuals who like to hurt other people.

Also this merely reinforces the notion that the police literally aren't there to serve and protect at all.

They're not. The Supremes have held repeatedly that cops have no legal obligation to protect individual citizens.

So private security is an old thing and Chicago isn't a top 10 most dangerous city and the OP amounts to race-based fear-mongering and nothing more. Might mention it's pay-walled but that's a minor ding against pure garbage.

The most dangerous cities in America are almost exclusively red cities in red states. Chicago never breaks into the top ten.

1. Anchorage, Alaska
3. Lubbock, Texas
5. Springfield, Missouri
7. Corpus Christi, Texas
9. Stockton, California

Depends on how you describe dangerous I suppose.

Chicago is exactly at 10 for murder rate, as of 2019.

But red states don't seem to dominate. Missouri, Louisiana, and Tennessee vs Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey and Illinoi.

1651253806337.png

Depends on how you describe dangerous I suppose.

Chicago is exactly at 10 for murder rate, as of 2019.

Sure, and #35 for rape, with New Orleans, Anchorage, and Cleveland at the top of the list (all red states). There's a basically even spread of red and blue states for robbery ( Chicago is in eighth place). Chicago doesn't make the top ten for aggravated assault (6 of the top ten are red state cities). Chicago doesn't make the top ten for arson (7 of the top 10 are red state cities.

So no matter how much you massage the numbers or trove the internet to finally get Chicago into a top ten list, it's still only at #10 for only one of the violent crime metrics (behind 5 red state cities).

I say all this in order to point that there are no numbers that would logically justify the right wing fixation with Chicago as their boogeyman city.

But red states don't seem to dominate. Missouri, Louisiana, and Tennessee vs Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey and Illinoi.

Missouri, Louisiana and Tennessee, and Ohio are red states, so I'm not sure what your point is.

i might be the only one here that does this but when i see a thread about Chicago or San Fran i know that things are pretty calm nationally.

Yes.

As a teenager in the 1950s when people did not even talk about "crime," the casual and brazen lawlessness is outrageous.

Though it may be something that young Americans just accept as a feature of American life.

No one in the 1950s even conceived of ordinary people paying for alarm systems in their homes, let alone paying for private patrol cars to circulate 24/7 around the neighborhood looking for troublemakers. And, of course, cops stationed inside schools was unheard of. A teacher's word was enough to maintain order.

But, sadly, they also opened up opportunities for those individuals who like to hurt other people.

Bullshit. You like to think the old days were just dandy, and they probably were for you as a child in a bubble, but in reality..

Sure, and #35 for rape, with New Orleans, Anchorage, and Cleveland at the top of the list (all red states). There's a basically even spread of red and blue states for robbery ( Chicago is in eighth place). Chicago doesn't make the top ten for aggravated assault (6 of the top ten are red state cities). Chicago doesn't make the top ten for arson (7 of the top 10 are red state cities.

So no matter how much you massage the numbers or trove the internet to finally get Chicago into a top ten list, it's still only at #10 for only one of the violent crime metrics (behind 5 red state cities).

I say all this in order to point that there are no numbers that would logically justify the right wing fixation with Chicago as their boogeyman city.

Missouri, Louisiana and Tennessee, and Ohio are red states, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My issue was not with Chicago per se. I don't disagree with you there. New Orleans (my home) is a far more dangerous city per capita.

I objected to the suggestion that red cities/states dominate crime rates.

I'd sure like to know what the hell is going on in Anchorage. It's freaking Alaska.

My issue was not with Chicago per se. I don't disagree with you there. New Orleans (my home) is a far more dangerous city per capita.

I objected to the suggestion that red cities/states dominate crime rates.

Well...they do. At best you see an even spread. At worst red state cities are regularly at the tops of the lists by most any metric.

I'd sure like to know what the hell is going on in Anchorage. It's freaking Alaska.

I think we spend far too much time talking about "Which cities are the worstest? Republican or Democrat?" and not nearly enough on widespread undercurrents in society in general: for example drug use (there's a synthetic methamphetamine scourge that is far more prevalent and destructive than anything anybody's talking about), availability of guns, the retreat from community in society overall and a resulting sense of isolation and powerlessness, polarization in our communities, etc.

Of course that's not what this thread is about. "Chicago" is codespeak for liberals and black people. It's not intended to bear any resemblance to actual statistics because it's just a facile vehicle for anti-left propaganda. And propaganda rarely if ever has anything to do with facts.

No, it's the center of Illinois political corruption and non-political crime.

No. You see, Chicago is not a top 10 most dangerous city. And, you see, private security has long been a thing. It's a Stormfront OP.

No. You see, Chicago is not a top 10 most dangerous city. And, you see, private security has long been a thing. It's a Stormfront OP.
If that's what helps you sleep at night...

Yes.

LMAO.... It was an illusion... Just like most white peoples memories of the 50's is an illusion...

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 5.37.28 PM.png

Yes, let’s pretend the violent crime rate in Chicago as remained unchanged since 2020. After all, it’s not people like you that are making up those statistics, is it?

1. Anchorage, Alaska
3. Lubbock, Texas
5. Springfield, Missouri
7. Corpus Christi, Texas
9. Stockton, California

Interesting. Not sure why Anchorage is on top of the list. Must research. Scary that Memphis is #2. That's like next door.

Just a quick reminder: Chicago is a dog whistle.
So, then all of the weekly shooting and mayhem Chicago are mythology?

We all understand the crime ridden democrat controlled cities are an inconvenient truth. But it not a dog whistle.

Some people call out Stormfront OPs and some people support them. Strange world.
Do you have proof that the OP is a member of Stormfornt, or are you just talking out of your back end again?

You need to find a new schtick. These constant accusations of racism is weak and lazy debating.

Back
Top Bottom