• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shutdown Pool - When does it reopen?

When will the government shutdown end?

• Total voters

Zyphlin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Alright folks, lets have some fun.

This thread is NOT for debating whether or not you agree with the shut down, whose at fault, etc. PLEASE park your partisanship at the door. This poll is for a bit of fun.

When do you think the government reopens, and if you want, why? (Please see the previous request).

Let's see who out of us manages to be good prognosticators at the end of this whole thing.

We should be betting on whether the shutdown ends before RGIIIs knee brace comes off.
Bye week this week.

I said Oct 15, but I sure hope it does not last that long.

This thread is NOT for debating whether or not you agree with the shut down, whose at fault, etc. PLEASE park your partisanship at the door. This poll is for a bit of fun.

When do you think the government reopens, and if you want, why? (Please see the previous request).

Let's see who out of us manages to be good prognosticators at the end of this whole thing.

11th - 14th. Once poll numbers don't look better, negotiations will start for real.

Voted for 15-18th since the debt ceiling will hit by Oct. 17 and I think they will have a deal made.

Definitely October 15 - October 18. I performed a scientific experiment by closing my eyes and clicking the mouse, and that's the first choice that I hit at random. I'm sure it must be correct.

I voted what I hope, 11/8 or later

It's going to end by the 6th of october, including october.

The govt shutdown will force the hand of some party to act...
Maybe this will be split in the republican party as some hardliners will stick to keeping it shut down while the other ones, who are less fanatic, will decide to start acting like responsible people.

The problem is that no matter how it ends the reality is obvious. The democrat party will radicalize further to the left and the republican party will radicalize further to the right, and any moderates within each party will lose their seat in the next election if they show 'compromise'. So you will end up with a greater polarized political class than now.

I think it'll end with a combined deal on the budget extension and raising the debt ceiling shortly before the October 17th deadline for the debt ceiling.

Considering who's President and his inability to negotiate, considering the Democrats have taken a position on spending that is greater than the sequestor provisions and they consider that giving something up and a compromise, and considering that many Republicans stubbornly feel this is a matter of principle, I don't see this ending soon simply because the vast majority of the American people aren't affected one bit by this shutdown that is really only a shutdown of about 15% of the federal government while 85% continues as normal.

Beyond November 8th unless Obama blinks.

How long, oh how long will our government hold the country hostage by denying us their inestimable services?

I say past November and the standoff will be decided by a best of 3 game of rock, paper, scissors, contested by Harry Reid and John Boehner. Not sure who's going to win, though. Unfortunately, Paul the octopus has died.

OOOOO Kinda like Powerball.

Oct 16th.

I'd say that we are working with three constraints.
1). The President can't budge on any delays or reductions in Obamacare.
2). There are enough members in the House and Senate in favor of both the 980 Billion budget as well as a clean debt ceiling increase.
3). The GOP can't back down until they get some kind of concession.

Even through there are enough votes to pass the budget as is now, the GOP can't allow the budget to pass without getting something that they're not going to get because the Democrats can't give the GOP any concessions for either the budget or the debt ceiling. Couple that with the fact that another week or so of shut-down isn't catastrophic and there's nothing that would compel an agreement in the next week.

On the other hand enough Republicans that many have come forward to support a clean debt ceiling. This means that both parties will have an agreement on at least this for the 17th.

The only way the Republicans come out of this with anything is to lump the debt ceiling in with the budget, and throw something else on the table in exchange for a Democratic concession. I'd expect it to be mostly symbolic, but we could end up with some sort of larger bargain. I could see the GOP getting the Keystone Pipeline, or some sort of tax reform. But a better goal would be to schedule a bipartisan review of Obama Care for sometime next year.

The President wants the ACA to be successful, so it's going to need to be tweaked. Right now there's no chance of making any positive changes to the ACA. On the other side the GOP needs credibility for "fixing" the ACA.

Figure that the credit downgrade spooked enough adults in congress and they'll aim to have some public agreement by the 16th.

November 8th or later, since the 7th is my birthday...and that inept group in Washington staying home would be a great present.

11-16-13; since that's the day after the current clean Senate CR runs out, the one loaded up with House policy riders--nothing political as requested by RG3

Last edited:
I voted Oct. 3-6. My magic 8 ball tells me I'm not going to win this one.

I voted what I hope, 11/8 or later

How do you plan to live when our currency is worthless? Do you like own a farm with dozens of pigs and cows or something?

On October 6th, Skynet becomes self-aware and deems humanity to be a threat. Making the government shut down permanent, as well as the shutdown of humanity as we know it.

Oct. 16, and a last minute deal to raise the deficit.

How do you plan to live when our currency is worthless? Do you like own a farm with dozens of pigs and cows or something?

Our currency is already worthless, where the hell have you been. The democrats motto is "Print baby Print!"

Our currency is already worthless, where the hell have you been. The democrats motto is "Print baby Print!"

And that is different from the Republican motto, how?

Anyhow, you do not seem to understand what would happen if we default on our debt.

Last time the Republicans merely threatened the debt ceiling it costs us a credit rating.
To actually default would cost us dearly.
Not only would we be paying significantly more interest on trillions of dollars, but our currency would drop as well.

You will wake up and milk will be 10 dollars, a gallon of gas around 10 dollars too.
When this happens there will be no jobs. There will be anarchy and chaos. Murder in the streets.

It will be the hardcore Republican utopia. Those with ammo eat with bloody hands. Those without ammo stink up the streets.

Back
Top Bottom