• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Cheryl K Chumley
10/8/2013

At least five families of U.S. military members killed during in Afghanistan over the weekend were given a double-whammy by federal officials: Not only have your loved ones died, but due to the government shutdown, you won’t receive a death benefit.

The benefit is $100,000 and is wired to family members of the killed military member within 36 hours of the death. The so-called “death gratuity” is aimed at paying for funeral costs and to help with those living expenses normally covered by the soldier’s paycheck.

The Pentagon revealed the elimination of funeral pay, along with other impacts of the shutdown, in a press release.

“The department does not currently have the authority to pay death gratuities for the survivors of service members killed in action – typically a cash payment of $100,000 paid within three days of the death of a service member,” the release read.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops - Washington Times

There seems to be no injury that the Obama administration is prepared to heap upon Americans in their adamant stand to impose an onerous, unreasonable and costly program on Americans.

All Boehner needs to do is call for an "up or down" vote on a clean CR and all this would be over.

If the government would pass a simple mandate in which they agree to not piggy back anything onto the debt measure this situation would never happen.

“When people realize that they can serve and fight for their country, but that their families will get an I.O.U. until the shutdown is over, I think they’re just shocked.”

It's horrible but I'm hoping that the funeral parlor will extend credit knowing that funds will inevitably appear unless the government closes permanently.

Instead, they are going to pass a resolution to fund this one thing.

Until the next thing that the "our government is too big and bloated" crowd decides we can't be without comes up.

Our government "shutdown" is ending, one item at a time.

So Wehrwolf is upset that the GOP tactic of shutting down the government means shutting down the government.

My my.

By Cheryl K Chumley
10/8/2013

At least five families of U.S. military members killed during in Afghanistan over the weekend were given a double-whammy by federal officials: Not only have your loved ones died, but due to the government shutdown, you won’t receive a death benefit.

The benefit is $100,000 and is wired to family members of the killed military member within 36 hours of the death. The so-called “death gratuity” is aimed at paying for funeral costs and to help with those living expenses normally covered by the soldier’s paycheck.

The Pentagon revealed the elimination of funeral pay, along with other impacts of the shutdown, in a press release.

“The department does not currently have the authority to pay death gratuities for the survivors of service members killed in action – typically a cash payment of $100,000 paid within three days of the death of a service member,” the release read.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops - Washington Times

There seems to be no injury that the Obama administration is prepared to heap upon Americans in their adamant stand to impose an onerous, unreasonable and costly program on Americans.

Hmm, I thought this was one of the things they voted to not shutdown........

All Boehner needs to do is call for an "up or down" vote on a clean CR and all this would be over.

All the Democrats have to do is the right thing and this would never have happened. See how that works?

All the Democrats have to do is the right thing and this would never have happened. See how that works?

So you're upset that the GOP shut down means you won't get the government services you want?

Adolescent much?

So you're upset that the GOP shut down means you won't get the government services you want?

Adolescent much?

Um, there is no such thing as the GOP shutdown first of all. And second of all, where did I say that?

The Republicans have been planning the shut down since last spring. How's that working out for them?

Um, there is no such thing as the GOP shutdown first of all. And second of all, where did I say that?
Wake up and smell the coffee, there is a GOP shutdown in progress right now. The end it, all John Boehner (a member of the GOP) has to due is put a clean CR up for a vote and it will be over. There are enough people from both party's to pass it.

Wake up and smell the coffee, there is a GOP shutdown in progress right now. The end it, all John Boehner (a member of the GOP) has to due is put a clean CR up for a vote and it will be over. There are enough people from both party's to pass it.

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States House of Representatives must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States Senate and the Executive Branch.

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States House of Representatives must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States Senate and the Executive Branch.

And vice versa.

Amendment 14 section 4.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

or the administration could treat these veteran families like Egypt and other foreign aid recipients and keep their money flowing...

Amendment 14 section 4.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

I'm sorry, but a relevant post would be the appropriate response. At present, your response is not relevant.

or the administration could treat these veteran families like Egypt and other foreign aid recipients and keep their money flowing...

Yeah, let's pretend shutting down the government to promote the tea party's freakish agenda has no consequences. Let's pretend!

I'm sorry, but a relevant post would be the appropriate response. At present, your response is not relevant.

It's was relevant enough to be put in the constitution.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law....shall not be questioned."

The house is violating the constitution. The president might have to use some "extradordinary measures" so the government doesn't go into default.

Since the house and the senate both passed budget bills that exceeded the debt limit....the president can assume they intended to raise the debt ceiling and pay the bills without a CR. Especially if the congress is proving itself to be dysfunctional. After all, it is the president's job to protect the country.

Back
Top Bottom