• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shutdown ends

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No links yet.

From the Rose Garden, Trump has announced a tentative deal end to the government shutdown he initiated 35 days ago. This deal is a temporary funding bill of three weeks (February 15) and contains no funds for Trumps wall. During the three weeks, House/Senate negotiations will be held regarding border-security fund allocations. Federal employees will receive back pay asap.

This is what Democrats proposed weeks ago.

No links yet.

From the Rose Garden, Trump has announced a tentative deal end to the government shutdown he initiated 35 days ago. This deal is a temporary funding bill of three weeks (February 15) and contains no funds for Trumps wall. During the three weeks, House/Senate negotiations will be held regarding border-security fund allocations. Federal employees will receive back pay asap.

So Trump lost.

All this....winning.

But that aside, I'm glad this will come to an end. I'm sick of it.

No links yet.

This is painful to listen to. He had to write this, what a buffoon.

LOL, "we don't need a wall" -Donald Trump

No links yet.

For three weeks while they talk about another $7 billion now for the wall.

This is NOT an agreement, it is a stall tactic to buy himself some time and to stop the exodus of support.

It is shallow and desperate and like everything Trump is self seeking in the extreme

Trump caved with no funding for the wall?

He's done and the GOP are done.

If that's what happened it really doesn't even make sense to run a GOP candidate in 2020.

It was pretty obvious that McConnell put up Schumer's CR to test the waters, and when he got six GOP defects, he determined the game was over and it was time to give-up.

Make no mistake, the CR might be two weeks, but you can bet that even if Trump hasn't learned his lesson, the Republican Congress just did, and they won't be eager for a repeat like this anytime in soon.

Good job, Democrats. Finally, the shutdown ransom games have been defeated.

This is NOT an agreement, it is a stall tactic to buy himself some time and to stop the exodus of support.

It is shallow and desperate and like everything Trump is self seeking in the extreme
Regardless, he folded.

And I'm not sure I see what would be a change in the calculus in the future. He's lucky he got out of this alive, and I'm sure he will not go back there again (shutdown).

Trump hasn’t lost this game yet, but Pelosi definitely has him in “check”. I’m happy the federal employees will be able to pay their bills this month, but three weeks from now we will be in the same position.

If that's what happened it really doesn't even make sense to run a GOP candidate in 2020.
It's only a continuing resolution. Government will be funded for 3 weeks.

It's not.

With Trump NOTHING is ever what it seems.
There is no agreement, he is allowing a THREE WEEK delay to "negotiate" another $7 billion for the wall. I think the price keeps rising for shock value

No links yet.

Trumps gonna end up signing a bill to fund the gov't permanently, with DACA, Amnesty, and "border security." Let's throw in the very reasonable STUPID Act too. C'mon Trump let your liberal freak flag fly. I just did it myself. It's exhilarating

LOL He opened with a threat. He said he has the power to end it his way (referring to declaring the national crisis) but 'will give the process one more try.'

And now he's giving a ridiculously overblown speech about illegal immigration and unfortunately, the networks are providing a platform for the BS.

Just a ludicrous attempt at selling and justifying the wall. Sounding just like the slimy used-car salesman and considering his audience so stupid as to just guzzle it right up.

Loaded us up with a buttload of specious, never provable claims on what he guesses will be YUGE drops in crime if the wall is built.

I think you could get more Democrats on board if we considered moving the wall just north of Tuscon, I know I would be on board for funding that.

No links yet.

Well, no, not exactly. The negotiations during those three weeks before the NEXT SHUTDOWN include discussions of "border barriers" - if the Dems had agreed to that back then no shutdown would have been required, at all.

They were done when Trump said "it will be my shutdown!" and Graham said "we will dig our heels in for a shutdown!".

They were stupid to think the public didn't hear that and that the optics of rejecting CR's THEY AGREED TO just weeks before would be good.

Their ransom games finally backed fired on em'.

And as Michael Bennet so well explained, it was the GOP who turned down 46 billion in border security in 2013.

This has been the most obvious and transparent stunt yet. The usual suspects still fell for it in unison. Well, that's probably an undeservedly polite version. The real version is most likely that they are utterly without honor and willing to do or say anything to tell themselves that they stuck it to liberals.

Now we’ll see if Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh approve......

I think it's really apparent....he opened AND closed with threats to declare a national crisis.

It's his weakness then...it's a strong indication that he's been advised it's a very bad idea that might make him look even stupider if the courts shoot him down again and that he wants to avoid it at all costs.

But he doesnt want The People to forget that 'he has the power to do so!' In the end, this may be the way he decides to save face, "I can do it and get my wall built, but I choose not to."

I imagine that if no deal is reached by February 15 that contains wall funding, Trump will declare a "national emergency" on the southern border.

That would certainly result in court litigation.

Last edited:
No links yet.

Trump 0 Pelosi 1

The second step in taking this country back, the first being the 2016 midterms

It was pretty obvious that McConnell put up Schumer's CR to test the waters, and when he got six GOP defects, he determined the game was over and it was time to give-up.

Make no mistake, the CR might be two weeks, but you can bet that even if Trump hasn't learned his lesson, the Republican Congress just did, and they won't be eager for a repeat like this anytime in soon.

Good job, Democrats. Finally, the shutdown ransom games have been defeated.
Yep. I agree with all you wrote.

Pelosi got a better start at speaker than she likely ever imagined, and the Dems learned that sticking together in unity works. Hopefully the pattern here (Trump caves, Dems remain prevail through unity) will continue, and the results here become reinforcing behaviours.

No links yet.

Three ****ing weeks?
No way...this is unacceptable because if he tries this same nonsense again in three weeks, it is time for impeachment to begin.

:lamo

Or maybe you guys could go back to the whole reasonable efficient governance thing, rather than governing to screw the liberals while fluffing the richest of the rich. What may very well be done is the era of Freedom Caucus and Trumpist dishonest lunacy. That'd be a good thing. Something about Obama becoming the nominee drove a good 40% of America right off a cliff.

If it is done, American government will no longer be the laughing stock of the world. They might *gasp* even remember how to accomplish things that are actually worth accomplishing.

But who knows. Trump could get pissy in negotiations and shut everything down again, at which point, you will dutifully blame liberals and pretend a 10,000 year old technology is the solution just because liberals don't agree (despite still agreeing with border security in general)

We'll see.

He didn't really have a choice. He had nothing but bad (for him) choices. That the least damaging choice was caving in speaks either to the deft political maneuvering of democrats, or the poor political maneuvering of republicans.

Back
Top Bottom