• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shut-down

Respecthelect

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Despite liberal attempts to punish voters, there's been almost no effect on the daily lives of most of us.

A teenager knocked down a power pole and my neighborhood was out of power for a day - that was a shut-down I felt.

Knocked out the grocery store too. Believe me, I felt that shut-down.

Tried to fuel my generator, but the gas station was down too. These commercial shut-downs are painful. When the free market is shut down, people feel real pain.

But the government? Full of themselves and striving to puff themselves up as an important part of our lives? I'm afraid not...

Not one liberal's going to rant about how much more important government is? Or how government should be put in charge of food or fuel delivery? If there's such universal agreement on government ineptness, why did we vote for Obama to take over healthcare (or the auto industry, banking, pipelines, etc.)? Why are liberals in charge of anything? Why do we vote for them? Because they seem cool, complaining about those who really provide us with important goods and services? I want private sector food, fuel and health care please. You liberals crawl back under your rock and let productive folks make our lives better. Thanks

We NEED liberals in government...just as we NEED conservatives. People may not like the comparison but its kinda like a marriage. Men are typically more work oriented, budget and provider driven and women are typically more nurture driven (and yes...I said 'typically' so anyone that is upset by role stereotypes should just go ahead and preemptively eat it). In successful relationships there is a balance. It doesnt mean the man does not have nurturing tendencies, nor does it mean the woman is not pragmatic. It doesnt mean at times those roles wont switch. Balance...bias...necessary. Government is no different. It is EASY to get lost in the purely fiscal conservative aspect. There IS a need for nurturing and providing for those that for whatever reason cant provide for themselves. Sometimes the fiscal conservative has to be reminded of that, even in not too gentle ways. And sometimes the liberal needs to be reminded that there simply isnt a blank check when it comes to nurture.

Our problem isnt that we have liberals and conservatives in the government. Our problem is our roles and values have gone completely out of whack and both sides have completely lost perspective. They are more interested in THEMSELVES and their own power and control than they are anything else. Just as a family becomes dysfunctional in that situation, so too has our government. We arent run by a government with country minded representatives of varying liberal and conservative bent. We are run by mindless partisan hacks and we have enabled them.

More partisan hackery. OP, you're screaming for "liberals"* to run here and argue for things like "government control of food" and "Obama taking over healthcare" that haven't happened, won't happen, and "liberals"* aren't demanding happen. This thread is complete garbage.

* -- I put the word "liberal" in quotes here, since the "liberals" in question appear to have been completely invented in the OP's head.

We NEED liberals in government

We "need" liberals? Do we need burglars? Do we need malcontents and troublemakers? No. We need folks who will provide a free and fair playing field, so the private sector can take care of us.

Government by nature relies on force. Everything they do is backed by force. They may wear a velvet glove, but in the end, force is what characterizes government. Don't want Obamacare? No problem, just pay a small fine. You are now a law-breaker. Don't want to pay the fine... welcome to the world of force and coercion.

Why on earth would we want the user of force to provide anything? Why would we want the user of force unleashed for anything but protecting us from from private users of force and fraud? Goods and services are provided by the private sector, it's practically the basis of America. America taught the world how to create a private sector that showers its citizens with goods, services and wealth. Why bring the gun of government to health care?

Liberals who are perfectly happy to outlaw guns in private hands want government guns unleashed against the public through health care? It makes no sense? Why do we need force and coercion in health care?

We "need" liberals? Do we need burglars? Do we need malcontents and troublemakers? No. We need folks who will provide a free and fair playing field, so the private sector can take care of us.

Government by nature relies on force. Everything they do is backed by force. They may wear a velvet glove, but in the end, force is what characterizes government. Don't want Obamacare? No problem, just pay a small fine. You are now a law-breaker. Don't want to pay the fine... welcome to the world of force and coercion.

Why on earth would we want the user of force to provide anything? Why would we want the user of force unleashed for anything but protecting us from from private users of force and fraud? Goods and services are provided by the private sector, it's practically the basis of America. America taught the world how to create a private sector that showers its citizens with goods, services and wealth. Why bring the gun of government to health care?

Liberals who are perfectly happy to outlaw guns in private hands want government guns unleashed against the public through health care? It makes no sense? Why do we need force and coercion in health care?

The same could (and should) be said of mindless conservatives...

Not all liberals advocate those positions you cite. Not all conservatives are extreme fundamentalists.

Repubs are now pushing debt-default back until the 50th anniversary of JFK.
Democrats, never under-estimate the underhandedness of Cantor and his Kabal.

Oct 2008: "You'll never get elected and pass healthcare."
Nov 2008: "We'll never let you pass healthcare."
Jan 2009: "We're gonna shout you down every time you try to pass healthcare."
July 2009: "We'll fight to death every attempt you make to pass healthcare."
Dec 2009: "We will destroy you if you even consider passing healthcare."
March 2010: "We can't believe you just passed healthcare."
April 2010: "We are going to overturn healthcare."
Sept 2010: "We are going to repeal healthcare."
Jan 2011: "We are going to destroy healthcare."
Feb 2012: "We're gonna elect a candidate who'll revoke healthcare NOW."
June 2012: "We'll go to the Supreme Court, and they will overturn healthcare."
Aug 2012: "American people'll never re-elect you-they don't want healthcare."
Oct 2012: "We can't wait to win the election and explode healthcare."
Nov 2012: "We can't believe you got re-elected & we can't repeal healthcare."
Feb 2013: "We're still going to vote to obliterate healthcare."
June 2013: "We can't believe the Supreme Court just upheld healthcare."
July 2013: "We're going to vote like 35 more times to erase healthcare."
Sept 2013: "We are going to leverage a government shutdown into defunding, destroying, obliterating, overturning, repealing, dismantling, erasing and ripping apart healthcare."
Oct 2013: "WHY AREN'T YOU NEGOTIATING???"

Not all liberals advocate those positions

Every single Democrat in all three branches of government supports Obamacare. Not one Republican voted for it. Seems pretty monolithic to me?

News media seems biased too? Even Fox News tells both sides, despite the fact that Obamacare is un-American for the reasons stated above.

This really isn't a close-call. Government relies on force and force isn't needed in health care. Obamacare or government-run industry of any kind, is a bad idea. So, let's fire the masterminds who advocate it and put in a crew that will make us prosperous. I want an easy life, not a hard life. Private economy = easy life.

Better to have 218 Dems make a law versus 30 Repubs shut 'er down and now threaten default.
The first SHUTDOWn thread was put forth 9-17-13.

What will Cantor tell Boehner to say now that Obama has just said no to kidnapping?
Carl Bernstein--False Equivalency of Repubs is a return to McCarthyite tactics by Cantor.

Every single Democrat in all three branches of government supports Obamacare. Not one Republican voted for it. Seems pretty monolithic to me?

News media seems biased too? Even Fox News tells both sides, despite the fact that Obamacare is un-American for the reasons stated above.

This really isn't a close-call. Government relies on force and force isn't needed in health care. Obamacare or government-run industry of any kind, is a bad idea. So, let's fire the masterminds who advocate it and put in a crew that will make us prosperous. I want an easy life, not a hard life. Private economy = easy life.

Talking to you is like talking to a wall...except the wall isnt a ****head.

Oh...good...NIMBY is here. You two should get along well...carry on.

Again, so what if the government shut down? Does it really effect your life, like if the private sector shut down? The private sector feeds us, clothes us and puts money in our pockets. The government threatens us, uses force on us and takes money out of our pockets. Right now the government is operating at 83%, but it'd be better if it shrank down to about 30%. All we need from the government is to protect us from force and fraud. We do not need $4T worth of government.

Back
Top Bottom