• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shrimp and other shellfish and religion and abomination

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Shrimp and other shellfish are among the most common food allergens.[3] The Jewish laws of Kashrut forbid the eating of shrimp.[4] According to the King James version of the Old Testament, it is acceptable to eat finfish, but shrimp are an abomination and should not be eaten.[5] In Islam, the Shafi'i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja'fari schools allow the eating of shrimp, while the Hanafi school does not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_and_prawn_as_food

Why should it be an abomination to eat shellfish?

And why should any God order us about what we may eat or not eat? And drink or not drink?

Well before refrigeration keeping shrimp from spoiling was a problem. we all know what one bad oyster can do.

...Why should it be an abomination to eat shellfish?

And why should any God order us about what we may eat or not eat? And drink or not drink?
I have a theory. It developed when I saw a few people nearly die from eating handfuls of pickled shrimp. Turns out they were allergic, but the shrimp were so good they powered through their natural inclination to dislike shrimp. Right before nearly keeling over, one even said, "I usually do not eat shrimp, But these are Soooo GOOOD!"

Desert dwellers are likely to have a higher proportion of people allergic to shellfish. Therefore, God made a rule.

So, back when, eating non-refrigerated shrimp after 3 days out in the open-air market crate, people would drop dead, but it would take 2 days longer for fish laying out before people would be dropping dead? Then how many more days for other meats?

Just a note, I would have hated to be Mikey back when, testing which types of mushroom he liked. 'Life' cereal would have been quite ironic.

OK, ok! :)

This is fine as a kind of medical advice.
But why make a religious law because of it?
There are other things that may be harmful to your health.
But God did not bother to make laws because of it.

Well before refrigeration keeping shrimp from spoiling was a problem. we all know what one bad oyster can do.

What about fish?
You can die from fish poisening.
But the Bible is full of bread and fish.
That is a bit fishy ....

@ fish and Good Friday

Might also be a religious topic :)

Why did old Jehovah care about people the health of people eating shrimps?
Did he have not much else to worry about?

Desert dwellers are likely to have a higher proportion of people allergic to shellfish. Therefore, God made a rule.

Did God have nothing better to do?
Was he bored to death on that day?

Looking at the state of the world, that should have been one of God's lesser sorrows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_and_prawn_as_food

Why should it be an abomination to eat shellfish?

The strict dietary restrictions had applied to the Jews in the OT because................... they were singled out to be a nation of priests.
The New Testament does not give the same restriction. We can eat anything we want.

Mind you.....foods that are mentioned being consumed in the Scriptures have been scientifically discovered to have some health benefits to us:

NUTS and honey
Fish
Wine

Lol. Looks like the components of Mediterranean Diet to me. :)

John the Baptist also ate locusts. I haven't tried it......

Seems to be a good candidate for Paleo or Keto.

I can only assume that the ingredients for BREAD in Biblical times isn't processed like the bread we now use.....and, I can assume they were "grainy."
UNLEAVENED bread is emphasized, though. This means without the use of yeast or any leavening agent that makes bread rise or puff up.
What are the benefits of unleavened bread?

Shellfish are bottom-feeders, btw.
Depending on where in the planet the shellfish comes from should be taken into consideration before eating them.
Since they are scavengers - sorta the "clean-up crew," eating dead and decaying matter on the ocean floor, rivers and lakes -
they could have a high toxic load.

Looking at it from a non-hostile angle:
Perhaps we are being advised by God what foods are beneficial to us, and what foods should be avoided?

The Bible is a mixture of all sorts of literature. Now....we can see that it could also be a health magazine.
;)

Last edited:
The strict dietary restrictions had applied to the Jews in the OT because................... they were singled out to be a nation of priests.
The New Testament does not give the same restriction. We can eat anything we want.

Mind you.....foods that are mentioned being consumed in the Scriptures have been scientifically discovered to have some health benefits to us:

NUTS and honey
Fish
Wine

Lol. Looks like the components of Mediterranean Diet to me. :)

John the Baptist also ate locusts. I haven't tried it......

I've never had locusts, but I have tried fried crickets, which had a similar taste and feel to crispy fried onion bits.

Did Jehovah forget to forbid fried crickets? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom