• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Showtime's Dexter is a Conservative Show?

Mike.Redd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Is one of my favorite shows on TV is unintentionally conservative?

I ran across this article describing "Dexter" as TV’s most unintentionally conservative series. After reading the article and thinking about the show i had to share. Being a show with a large liberal following, it is interesting how this author was able to connect it having a conservative undertone.

3 Main reasons Dexter is a Conservative show:
1. The show emphasizes the necessity of a moral code.​
2. “Dexter” emphasizes the need for justice.​
3. “Dexter” illustrates the reality and dark power of sin.​
:peace

If you want to read the whole article it can be viewed here:
Rare.us | “Dexter” — TV’s most unintentionally conservative series

I ran across this article describing "Dexter" as TV’s most unintentionally conservative series. After reading the article and thinking about the show i had to share. Being a show with a large liberal following, it is interesting how this author was able to connect it having a conservative undertone.

3. “Dexter” illustrates the reality and dark power of sin.

I think that's a stretch. A "moral code" that more or less just says "only harm people who deserve it" is certainly not a conservative particularity, neither is the "need for justice". I've yet to see non-conservative people who do not agree with that. And point #3, the "dark power of sin" is a bit countered by the premise of the series, which portrays an extremely sinful, psychopathic and evil character in a way that invites identification and sympathy.

I really don't think "Dexter" is political in any way, and any attempt to portray it as such is a stretch.

That's a really absurd jump. You're trying to associate having a moral code with conservative ideology, implying nobody else has a moral code.

Even funnier, you were simultaneously comparing yourself with a serial killer.

That's impossible. It's on the Lamestream media, they'd never let it pass unless he's gay.

Back
Top Bottom