• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Show your birth certificate...no, your long form birth certificate!

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
She explained confusion over Galicia's nationality stemmed from a tourist visa issued when he was a child and the fact that his mother used an assumed name on Francisco's birth certificate.

"After he was born, they went back to Mexico and she couldn't fix the birth certificate," Galan said. So, in order to travel back and forth as a family, she obtained a tourist visa for her U.S.-born son, claiming he had been born in Mexico.

Blame momma, she used an “assumed name” on his birth certificate (“confusion” or flat out fraud?) and put on a tourist visa he was born in Mexico.

Interesting what you find out when you actually read the whole article.

Big takeaway is his description of the conditions inside the detention center.

Is it now possible to graduate from a US HS without being able to speak (read or write?) English? If so, then it is no wonder that many employers are demanding that applicants have a college education.

He hadn't graduated from a US high school. No, I'm sure it's not possible to graduate from a US high school without being able to speak English.

I had a college roommate from Costa Rica who arrived in the USA in the spring without being able to speak English. He learned. Five years later, he had a degree in electrical engineering.

Oh and he spoke English.

Good for him. :)

I know a young lady, about 13 years old, from very rural SE Asia whose parents both died of malaria last year. She's now in Canada, attending school, learning English and French.

I doubt Galicia ever learns English. There's nobody in his hood who'll understand him.

Big takeaway is his description of the conditions inside the detention center.

He described having access to a toilet, a bed, and three meals a day. I don’t get the issue.

How did the initial reporting miss:

1. The proof of his birth certificate he provided turned out to be fake - false mother's name.
2. His mother had previously sworn on his travel VISA that he was born in Mexico.

That, added to he doesn't really speak English (also left out) explains why he was held for 30 days. It is very hard for law enforcement to clear someone when the person - and the person's own mother - lied including her under written oath.

That is the irony. HE and HIS MOTHER provided documentation proving he was born in Mexico to border patrol and prior to this to the USA and Mexican government. It took ICE investigating to learn they were lying.

Rather than tragic, it is humorous. Obviously his mother lied to get around Mexican travel laws to get him into Mexico. Overall, he was living his life on fraudulent documents about himself and his place of birth. And it was those exact same clever documents to trick the Mexican government on admission to Mexico that got him locked up in the USA as a Mexican.

If your mother swears out an written oath officially to both the American and Mexican government you were born in Mexico - and your defense document is a tiny reproduction of a birth certificate with a false name for the mother? Yeah, that could get a person detained by ICE.

I think the phrase is "Karma can be a bitch."

Last edited:
He described having access to a toilet, a bed, and three meals a day. I don’t get the issue.

"three meals a day"

I guess he lost 26 lbs. by refusing to eat.

How did the initial reporting miss:

1. The proof of his birth certificate he provided turned out to be fake - false mother's name.
2. His mother had previously sworn on his travel VISA that he was born in Mexico.

That, added to he doesn't really speak English (also left out) explains why he was held for 30 days. It is very hard for law enforcement to clear someone when the person - and the person's own mother - lied including her under written oath.

That is the irony. HE and HIS MOTHER provided documentation proving he was born in Mexico to border patrol and prior to this to the USA and Mexican government. It took ICE investigating to learn they were lying.

Rather than tragic, it is humorous. Obviously his mother lied to get around Mexican travel laws to get him into Mexico. Overall, he was living his life on fraudulent documents about himself and his place of birth. And it was those exact same clever documents to trick the Mexican government on admission to Mexico that got him locked up in the USA as a Mexican.

If your mother swears out an written oath officially to both the American and Mexican government you were born in Mexico - and your defense document is a tiny reproduction of a birth certificate with a false name for the mother? Yeah, that could get a person detained by ICE.

I think the phrase is "Karma can be a bitch."

I guess he shouldn't have shown the copy of his birth certificate and only his TX ID and SS card.

No showers, shoved into an over crowded facility with 60 other dudes, also with no showers, and the 3 meals were a single small sandwich, resulting in him losing 20 pounds.

We treat our actual, bona fide, convicted criminals better.

I guess he shouldn't have shown the copy of his birth certificate and only his TX ID and SS card.

Well, to be fair, his brother, who was with him, was there illegally, and not one of them spoke English.

Kid was a teenager, claiming he was born and raised (educated) in Texas. But can't speak English.

If that doesn't cause your spider senses to tingle, then I dare say you'd be a crappy cop.

Well, to be fair, his brother, who was with him, was there illegally, and not one of them spoke English.

Kid was a teenager, claiming he was born and raised (educated) in Texas. But can't speak English.

If that doesn't cause your spider senses to tingle, then I dare say you'd be a crappy cop.

It would be a crappy cop that would hold someone for over 3 wks for the reasons you gave none of which are illegal regarding the person in question.

Blame momma, she used an “assumed name” on his birth certificate (“confusion” or flat out fraud?) and put on a tourist visa he was born in Mexico.

Interesting what you find out when you actually read the whole article.

Doesn't matter what Momma did. There's no excuse for the way Galicia was treated in detention.

Nobody should be treated that way. Not citizens, not aliens, not dogs. Nobody. But for Trump it's a strategy designed to make people so desperate that they'll agree to anything to get out and designed to make other brown non-Americans so scared of American that they won't try to seek refuge here. He is using these desperate people as pawns. This American citizen, Galicia, now gives us a firsthand account of just how dire things are in the corrupt system that Trump is cultivating as a strategy to intimidate people.

There was reason to detain Galicia, briefly.

There was no excuse to detain him for over three weeks. And no excuse to treat him (or anyone) as badly as he was treated in detention.

"three meals a day"

I guess he lost 26 lbs. by refusing to eat.

I lost 26 pounds over the course of two months a little while ago. Feel pretty good. Most Americans could stand to lose a bit

No showers, shoved into an over crowded facility with 60 other dudes, also with no showers, and the 3 meals were a single small sandwich, resulting in him losing 20 pounds.

We treat our actual, bona fide, convicted criminals better.
Well if the democrats want illegals put in the holiday inn they should fund the holiday inn. Don’t moralize to me, you don’t want illegals detained at all. Your side could pass appropriations today.

Three sandwiches a day is more then enough food. Most people in this country have weight excesses of 20-30 pounds anyway. That in and of itself is not a concern

Clearly Trump thinks the real conditions energize much of his base, so he has a vested interest in seeing they don't change.

NOt only is that a lie, its flat out stupid. Up your game for Christs sake.

I doubt Galicia ever learns English. There's nobody in his hood who'll understand him.

Them there Mexicans never learn to talk American. They just keep talkin' Mexican because that's who understands them.

Yes, one open toilet shared with 60 other men and fed bologna sandwiches. Sounds five star to me.

Your political lean shows why you don't get the issue: Very conservative. Did you seriously believe that Trump, the architect of this horrendous display of inhumanity, is actually a conservative?

I lost 26 pounds over the course of two months a little while ago. Feel pretty good. Most Americans could stand to lose a bit

I know! Let's advertise the detention centers as weight loss centers! Put people, 60 to a room, with one toilet and no shower, feed them bologna sandwiches three times a day, and the overweight Americans can begin to look like people from the third world.

Brilliant. We can charge them $750 a day, just like the operators of the child detention centers do. Great business model, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom