• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shouldn't those on the left be celebrating Trump's decision in Syria?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am referring to the doves/anti-U.S interventionalists.

Notice, a critic of Trump, Bernie Sanders made no statement about Trump's decision on Syria.

Here is a direct quote from Sanders back in April:

After 17 years of war in Afghanistan and 15 years of war in Iraq, we need a political strategy to bring peace and stability to the region, not more U.S. military intervention."

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-syria-strikes

I am not sure why Trump is withdrawing troops in Syria. What is being exposed imo that those that are critical of the decision (liberal or conservative), are typically in the Lindsey Graham camp, the warmonger camp. That's why the majority of Democrats have been silent on the issue. They wouldn't dare applaud the decision (in fear of agreeing with Trump) and if they criticize the decision, they get outted as chicken hawks.

But I think the most telling thing is all the media outlets that are showing their true colors. War/military intervention = ratings and profits. We saw it with Vietnam. We saw it with Iraq.

Whatever happened to the idea that perpetual war is bad? That funding these endless "wars" is bankrupting our country? That the United States presence in the Middle East is eroding our credibility.

It's not the decision. It's the fact that he didn't coordinate with our allies, the Pentagon or his advisers. This should be planned and discussed and done carefully. There are people's lives at stake.

But continue defending the indefensible.

And wasn't it Trump who said he wouldn't broadcast our moves? He just told ISIS we're leaving. lol

Last edited:
All Americans should be celebrating this decision. It was long overdue and even Trump admitted that he should have done it sooner.

I think Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer were critical of the decision. Well, we already knew they their stance on the war. Those two are pro-war Democrats.

It's not the decision. It's the fact that he didn't coordinate with our allies, the Pentagon or his advisers. This should be planned and discussed and done carefully. There are people's lives at stake.

Wait a minute. When you say "people's lives are at stake," are you referring to the American soldiers who are fighting for what exactly? Why are they in the Middle East in the first place?

Wait a minute. When you say "people's lives are at stake," are you referring to the American soldiers who are fighting for what exactly? Why are they in the Middle East in the first place?

I don't believe we should be in the Middle East at all. Republicans dragged us there and complained when Obama pulled us out of Iraq.

But you don't just go on twitter and say you're pulling out. You get the entire government involved so that it's organized and thought out.

Democrats also voted for these war. How many Democrats voted to invade Iraq? The vast majority of them.

And they were lied to by the Republican administration and their fake evidence.

Personally, I am happy with his decision.

Whether it was sincere policy, or motivated by a desire to please Putin, it's the right thing to do.

Now, what I'm not happy about his jackass way of leaving the Pentagon in the dark about this. Even if I think Mattis is a warhawk (which he is), there's still a chain of command to follow, and Trump still doesn't respect that vital path of communication that is key to stability.

Notice, a critic of Trump, Bernie Sanders made no statement about Trump's decision on Syria.

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-syria-strikes

I am not sure why Trump is withdrawing troops in Syria. What is being exposed imo that those that are critical of the decision (liberal or conservative), are typically in the Lindsey Graham camp, the warmonger camp. That's why the majority of Democrats have been silent on the issue. They wouldn't dare applaud the decision (in fear of agreeing with Trump) and if they criticize the decision, they get outted as chicken hawks.

But I think the most telling thing is all the media outlets that are showing their true colors. War/military intervention = ratings and profits. We saw it with Vietnam. We saw it with Iraq.

Whatever happened to the idea that perpetual war is bad? That funding these endless "wars" is bankrupting our country? That the United States presence in the Middle East is eroding our credibility.

I agree that we should've gotten out of there sooner. But the fact that we're getting out now is a good thing and I do agree with the actions that are being taken. I just hope that they can stand on their own feet this time around.

And wasn't it Trump who said he wouldn't broadcast our moves? He just told ISIS we're leaving. lol

If you think he tweeted without even talking to someone about it first. Then you're just as lost as the others.

I don't believe we should be in the Middle East at all. Republicans dragged us there and complained when Obama pulled us out of Iraq.

But you don't just go on twitter and say you're pulling out. You get the entire government involved so that it's organized and thought out.

So, basically, even if Trump does something you allegedly agree with, you’ll still find a way to characterize it as bad or wrong? Sounds reasonable.

Hillary and Bill were warning about Iraq in the late 90's he even ordered air strikes. Hilary was pro war out the gate no lies or convincing needed

So isn't fake evidence to get us into war worse than anything that Trump did?

Worse?
They could have Joe Biden creeping up on a group of school girls on stage. Holding a sign that says "orange man bad" in comic sans and they would just clap like a bunch of little lemmings.

Why do you assume people who belong to a broad spectrum of political beliefs will all think the same thing?

No..NOW the **** TALKING HYPOCRITES are, suddenly, HAWKS....

To lose weight, adjusting your diet and exercising more is the right way to go.

To lose weight, starving yourself and sitting on the couch is not the right way to go.

Both can result in weight loss, but one way is vastly superior to the other.

Getting our troops out of foreign countries is commendable, but one should find better ways to do it than what Trump is doing.

To lose weight, starving yourself and sitting on the couch is not the right way to go.

Getting our troops out of foreign countries is commendable, but one should find better ways to do it than what Trump is doing.

Such as? Maybe ANNNOUNCING THE EXACT DATE, like the Obamidiot did for Al Qaeda in Iraq?

Direct answer to the title question? Nobody should be celebrating today, at least no American, at least no American not wearing his white, blue, red horizontal stripe undies under his pants.

Such as? Maybe ANNNOUNCING THE EXACT DATE, like the Obamidiot did for Al Qaeda in Iraq?

Less idiotic than announcing an immediate withdrawal based on a phone call with Erdogan.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Suddenly everybody is upset because we are (supposedly) getting out of an area where we have been in violation of international law, and where our boys have been killed for no valid purpose. This event and its reactions reveal the schizophrenic nature of today's American society. Many are angry because we're leaving a place we have no business being.

So, basically, even if Trump does something you allegedly agree with, you’ll still find a way to characterize it as bad or wrong? Sounds reasonable.

That's because it is reasonable. Maybe you want to move to a new city but that doesn't mean your spouse announcing that we're packing up and moving tonight is a good idea.

You guys blindly defend everything that Trump does. Why couldn't Trump discuss this with the Pentagon and our allies? Why couldn't he come up with a plan that protects the Kurds who helped us defeat ISIS?

This is incompetent leadership. We don't just abandon our allies on a whim.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Suddenly everybody is upset because we are (supposedly) getting out of an area where we have been in violation of international law, and where our boys have been killed for no valid purpose. This event and its reactions reveal the schizophrenic nature of today's American society. Many are angry because we're leaving a place we have no business being.

But Trump supporters are the same people who complained about Obama pulling out of Iraq. But Obama just followed the same pullout timeline that GW Bush agreed to. And Iraq asked us to leave. Yet still they blamed Obama even when the pullout was planned for a long time.

Trump wakes up one day and just tweets that we're getting out and you guys support him. Screw the Kurds who helped us defeat ISIS. Let them die. Is that the kind of selfish backstabbing country we've become?

But Trump supporters are the same people who complained about Obama pulling out of Iraq. But Obama just followed the same pullout timeline that GW Bush agreed to. And Iraq asked us to leave. Yet still they blamed Obama even when the pullout was planned for a long time.

Trump wakes up one day and just tweets that we're getting out and you guys support him. Screw the Kurds who helped us defeat ISIS. Let them die. Is that the kind of selfish backstabbing country we've become?

In reality, Trump has been tweeting about getting out of Syria a few times. Indeed, candidate Trump also said he was getting us out. I'll believe it when I see it, but I commend Trump for actually upsetting the apple cart in Washington.

Getting us out of even one of the illegal military actions we are in is very much A GOOD THING.

Spoken like someone who wasnt alive in the 1990's when the whole "Saddam has WMD's" narrative was created. Under Bill Clinton.

Just what would those better ways be?

At present we have nearly 800 military bases in foreign countries. Nearly half in Japan and Germany from WW II 70 years ago. We are involved in more non war wars than I can count. Obviously no recent President has a clue.

I've got no problem with pulling troops from other peoples quarrels. I've more of a problem with Presidents getting us into those quarrels or delivering pallet loads of cash to our enemies in contradiction to laws they themselves signed.

Trump's position on withdrawing troops is not exactly current news. He campaigned on the issue. Another promise kept. Nor has he gotten us into yet another none of our business war.

Back
Top Bottom