• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shouldn't supreme court justices be held to some sort of ethical standard?

Only when they go beyond their role, like overturning legal precedent for reasons, I would guess, of power and money, meaning they serve power for money. Puhraise Jesus! We should all be forced to do what Uncle Thomas wants with our private lives because he is such a fine upstanding citizen, uncorrupted by power, money and political lunacy?:rolleyes:
Justice Thomas didn't impose anything on anyone, so your comment is nonsensical. Are you mad that he's not living on the Democrat plantation still?

Justice Thomas didn't impose anything on anyone, so your comment is nonsensical. Are you mad that he's not living on the Democrat plantation still?
I'm sure you would have him back on the plantation soon enough.
Are you seriously indicating Supreme Court decisions don't affect Americans? o_O

So, do you favor regular lynchings for blacks or just high-tech lynchings? :unsure:

What gives you the wrong impression that my disdain for Thomas has anything at all to do with him being black?

They didn't purger themselves as they never said they wouldn’t overturn precident on prior cases.

Yes they did.

neil gorsuch:

With President Donald Trump’s first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?”
Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

So using gorsuch's words, he must not be a good judge. He didn't treat it like any other precedence but he said he would. He lied.

amy barrett

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, then the top Democrat on the committee, asked Barrett: “So the question comes, what happens? Will this justice support a law that has substantial precedent now? Would you commit yourself on whether you would or would not?”
“Senator, what I will commit is that I will obey all the rules of stare decisis,” Barrett replied, referring to the doctrine of courts giving weight to precedent when making their decisions.
Barrett went on to say that she would do that for “any issue that comes up, abortion or anything else. I’ll follow the law.”

barrett didn't follow satare decisis but she said she would. She lied.

brett kavanaugh
It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”
“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember,” Kavanaugh said.

He ignored precedence and threw it out the window when he said he wouldn't. He lied.

sam alito

“Today if the issue were to come before me, if I am fortunate enough to be confirmed and the issue were to come before me, the first question would be the question that we’ve been discussing, and that’s the issue of stare decisis,” Alito said. “And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made.”
“So you would approach it with an open mind notwithstanding your 1985 statement?” Specter asked.
“Absolutely, senator. That was a statement that I made at a prior period of time when I was performing a different role, and as I said yesterday, when someone becomes a judge, you really have to put aside the things that you did as a lawyer at prior points in your legal career and think about legal issues the way a judge thinks about legal issues.”

He said the first discussion was stare decisis. He didn't discuss stare decisis but said he would. If he had done what he said he would do, he wouldn't have written the ruling and he would have upheld case precedence. So he lied. He didn't approach it with an open mind so he lied about that too.

And which ethical standards are these, and who codified them?

Who perjured themselves and with what?

The same ethical standards that all other judges have to follow.

The only judges who are exempt from those standards are Supreme Court justices.

What gives you the wrong impression that my disdain for Thomas has anything at all to do with him being black?
I don't think it is the wrong impression. ;)

Can someone point out the ethics behind having nine people decide for all america what their laws will be.
We don’t. At the federal level there are 536 (occasionally 537) who decide.

Yes they did.

neil gorsuch:

It's a precident.

amy barrett

It a precident, I'll follow law. Row vs Wade wasn't about any law.

Barrett went on to say that she would do that for “any issue that comes up, abortion or anything else. I’ll follow the law.”

brett kavanaugh
It a precident

sam alito

“And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made.”

None said they wouldn't reverse Row vs Wade without weighing prior precident.

That is why you missed the point then, good to know.
What point is it you believe I missed? I already explained who creates laws at the federal level in the US. What other education do you require?

What point is it you believe I missed? I already explained who creates laws at the federal level in the US. What other education do you require?
You have yet to explain why roe v wade is no longer based on what nine people think, not the 300 odd you claim made the decision.

You have yet to explain why roe v wade is no longer based on what nine people think, not the 300 odd you claim made the decision.
I didn’t claim that 300 odd people made the decision. You asked why only 9 people were allowed to make laws, so I provided you with some education.

The Supreme Court overturned a previous ruling by the Supreme Court. No law was overturned, but now the states have the ability to determine their own laws regarding abortion.

Yes they did.

neil gorsuch:

With President Donald Trump’s first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?”
Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

So using gorsuch's words, he must not be a good judge. He didn't treat it like any other precedence but he said he would. He lied.

amy barrett

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, then the top Democrat on the committee, asked Barrett: “So the question comes, what happens? Will this justice support a law that has substantial precedent now? Would you commit yourself on whether you would or would not?”
“Senator, what I will commit is that I will obey all the rules of stare decisis,” Barrett replied, referring to the doctrine of courts giving weight to precedent when making their decisions.

barrett didn't follow satare decisis but she said she would. She lied.

brett kavanaugh
It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”
“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember,” Kavanaugh said.

He ignored precedence and threw it out the window when he said he wouldn't. He lied.

sam alito

“Today if the issue were to come before me, if I am fortunate enough to be confirmed and the issue were to come before me, the first question would be the question that we’ve been discussing, and that’s the issue of stare decisis,” Alito said. “And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made.”
“So you would approach it with an open mind notwithstanding your 1985 statement?” Specter asked.
“Absolutely, senator. That was a statement that I made at a prior period of time when I was performing a different role, and as I said yesterday, when someone becomes a judge, you really have to put aside the things that you did as a lawyer at prior points in your legal career and think about legal issues the way a judge thinks about legal issues.”

He said the first discussion was stare decisis. He didn't discuss stare decisis but said he would. If he had done what he said he would do, he wouldn't have written the ruling and he would have upheld case precedence. So he lied. He didn't approach it with an open mind so he lied about that too.
What you don't seem to grasp here is that precedence is not end all be all when it comes to deciding a case. If SCOTUS were to only go by precedent then Brown vs BOE Topeka was improperly ruled on since Plessy Vs Ferguson ruled that segregation was legal and constitutional. Even with Brown vs BOE, PvF had to be considered and it carried weight. But that didn't mean that it was the final word on the matter. Better facts and arguments were presented in Brown vs BOE than were presented in PvF, and thus PvF got overruled. Same here. Whatever evidence, facts and arguments were presented in Dobbs vs Jackson WHO, they were not present at the time that these judges made their statements. Nor do any of their statements indicate nor mean that they would absolutely rule in favor of RvW. Nor should they. As new evidence was presented, they have to consider that as well. Whether you or I agree with those arguments, evidences and facts or not is irrelevant to the concept of whether the four aforementioned judges lied. Look at Alito's statement: "And if the analysis were to get beyond that point, then I would approach the question with an open mind, and I would listen to the arguments that were made.” So where exactly is the lie? Because he out right said that he would listen to both sides of the case, point blank. To have declared RvW already settled prior to hearing the case would mean that he did not approach the question with an open mind. The mind can be just as closed in saying that RvW is inviolate, as it can in thinking it was invalid.

What’s a woman?

I didn’t claim that 300 odd people made the decision. You asked why only 9 people were allowed to make laws, so I provided you with some education.

No law was overturned, but now the states have the ability to determine their own laws regarding abortion.
My apology. you actually claimed

We don’t. At the federal level there are 536 (occasionally 537) who decide.
Now you say

The Supreme Court overturned a previous ruling by the Supreme Court.
How many people in the supreme court. Do the maths.

Clarence Thomas and Amy Coney Barrett lack the ethical standard to be on the supreme court. When you look at the history of Supreme Court justices, they clearly have breached this standard.

I am not even talking about the justices that perjured themselves.
No current Justice committed perjury.

As for ethics - what a ****ing joke - as someone with ethics like Biden questioned and accused these Justices and people with ethics like Biden should not be questioning anyone. A year ago Biden just ignored a SCOTUS decision on extending the "no eviction" rule by CDC. Biden says "**** it" and then tells the CDC director to extend the "no eviction" rule. Biden then turns around looking for a way off the stage and says "...well I guess it's unconstitutional, but...". Damn right it was unconstitutional and hopefully, Biden will be impeached in January 2023 when the GOP regains the House.

Payback for fake impeachments can and will be a bitch.

Remember, it is the ethical Senators with an 8% approval rating that confirms SCOTUS Justices and possibly do contain some that lied - but certainly none more than Biden does.

Or how about the 6 Jan committee chairman from Mississippi that lives in an affordable housing development. How ethical is it for a US Congressman to take/keep a house from a needy family that makes 10% of what he makes? He should give that house back - NOW. That is shameful as hell to remain there.

My apology. you actually claimed

Now you say

How many people in the supreme court. Do the maths.
How many people are needed to review a law and determine if it’s constitutional?

Back
Top Bottom