• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shouldn't supreme court justices be held to some sort of ethical standard?

How many people are needed to review a law and determine if it’s constitutional?
In the new zealand system of going through the process of creating a law that is a bit like asking how long is a length of a string.
A law can go through several rounds of public submissions before being given to the parliament for vote.
At best the judiciary can attempt to interpret the law but if they judge it needs amendment then it goes back to parliament to make decisions on the laws future. That rarely happens as such difficulties are what the public submissions should cover.

In the new zealand system of going through the process of creating a law that is a bit like asking how long is a length of a string.
A law can go through several rounds of public submissions before being given to the parliament for vote.
At best the judiciary can attempt to interpret the law but if they judge it needs amendment then it goes back to parliament to make decisions on the laws future. That rarely happens as such difficulties are what the public submissions should cover.
Well, that’s cool and all, but we’re talking about the US federal system.

fox news is genius...

1657200740598.png

How many people are needed to review a law and determine if it’s constitutional?
If you mean your country then considering how many people argue about gun rights and now abortion rights as well as gay marriage rights then the answer of "need to review " is anyone who wants to.

Would you know what the number of people needed to actually make the decision is?

If you mean your country then considering how many people argue about gun rights and now abortion rights as well as gay marriage rights then the answer of "need to review " is anyone who wants to.

Would you know what the number of people needed to actually make the decision is?

The majority needed. How pedantic of you.

Your country is starting to sound like a fairy tale.

Nine rings for mortal men doomed to die,
Five to bind them
and one ring to rule over all of them.

Out of the two of us, I'm not the one that supports a white ethnostate.
You support pulling down any Black person that believes and thinks differently than you.

Well, aren't there some standard professional standards people are held to in the legal profession, like judges following legal precedent?
Some day you might learn that legal precedent is not set in stone.

Well, aren't there some standard professional standards people are held to in the legal profession, like judges following legal precedent?
Maybe someone should sue them? :unsure:

You need to name and explain this breach of ethics. I've a feeling it's more of a breach of liberal dogma.
At least 5 of the 7 Catholics on the SC Bench are no longer practicing any sort of recognizable juris prudence from the Bench that we would recognize as evidenced by their majority opinion in Dobbs v Jackson. Remember, this is a country built on the principle of separation of church and state. That is it in a nutshell.

At least 5 of the 7 Catholics on the SC Bench are radical religious zealots that carry their zealotry to the SC Bench again evidenced by their majority opinion in Dobbs v Jackson.

6 of the 7 Catholic SC justices are considered "Conservative Justices. That leaves 1 Catholic Justice on the Liberal end of the Bench. !00% of the 7 Conservatives are Catholics. 33% of the 3 Liberals are Catholics.

Now you have to know something about the Catholic Religion to recognize what a bind the country is in as a result. There is no half way to Catholicism. You are either all the way in or all the way out. You are simply acknowledging that you are a lapsed Catholic, excommunication be damned or all in for Catholicism. What is left in the middle are the Conflicted. Joe Biden for example is a conflicted Catholic, unsure if there even is a middle (earth to Joe, there is not) forever trying to determine whether they should be all the way in or all the way out. Conflicted is an unsustainable position.

Take an issue like Abortion for example. Take a look at the quote that follows. For those that do not know it "Latae sentential" means in simplest terms, AUTOMATIC or DE FACTO:

"The 1917 Code of Canon Law punished abortion with excommunication. The revised canonical legislation continues this tradition when it decrees that a person who actually procures an abortion incurs automatic (Latae sententiae) excommunication" (Canon 1398) " The excommunication affects all those who commit this crime with knowledge of the penalty attached and thus includes those accomplices without whose help the crime would not have been committed" (Canon 1329)."

Now look at the quote in its entirety and think about who would fall under the ax of excommunication according to Catholic Church Canon. That would be the person that gets the Abortion and anybody that assists. That can be any doctor, any nurse, any practitioner, any politician and ANY JUDGE OR JUSTICE. Clearly supporting a woman's right to choose in any aspect would be assisting and thus if Catholic, you are automatically excommunicated in all cases.

While we haggle some about if Donald Trump would have presented us with a Constitutional Crisis or if he possibly already has, The Supreme Court is already presenting us with a Constitutional Crisis in the form of 6 justices that are clearly all the way in on Catholicism and no longer apply recognizable juris prudence for a country built on the principle of separation of church and state. The 6 that voted in the Majority in Dobbs v Jackson are clearly NOT CONFLICTED and they certainly are not LAPSED Catholics. The only other option is all the way in, a religious zealot incapable of separating their religious zealotry from their function on the SC.

This also makes for interesting thoughts regarding the relationship between WASP's and Catholics. How did we end up with 7 Catholic Justices on the SC. Only 22% of US Citizens identify as Catholic. How the hell does that roll into 78% of the SC being Catholic. I have two thoughts on that:
1) Catholics tend to go into Law and Academics while a higher percentage of WASP's go into business
2) WASP's while constantly yammering about being unable to "trust" Catholics in America because they bow to the Pointy Hat in Rome are happy to allow Catholics to carry their water for them.

Last edited:
I would say that if there is no penalty for Clarence Thomas ignoring jurisprudence even abandoning any semblance of it for his version of the Spanish Inquisition, then just throw in the towel on ethics and the SC unless there are rules of ethical conduct established for SC Justices. Clarence is entirely off the wall now and happy to shove it in the faces of every American citizen to boot.

Last edited:
While we haggle some about if Donald Trump would have presented us with a Constitutional Crisis or if he possibly already has, The Supreme Court is already presenting us with a Constitutional Crisis
You left-wingers see a damn "constitutional crisis" under every rock, don't you?

If not that, then anything a republican does, according to you, will damage our "fragile democracy".

If you all on the left want to live your lives believing that everything is a crisis that requires investigation and hearings (that with you people always come up empty) - please go ahead while the rest of us try to emulate our parents and grandparents, but doing so with cool modern technology.

If this democracy is so damn fragile as you and your cohorts claim, then either strengthen it or ... figure something else out.

Members of the republican party just want to continue living our lives, but haven't been able to do so for the last 18+ months because you all are secretly teaching racist CRT bullshit to our kids behind our backs and God knows what else. You let accused murderers out on ROR - absolutely disgraceful.

This bullshit needs to end - and hopefully it will this November as the GOP has a more than excellent chance to regain the House and Senate and you all have no one to blame but yourselves because of the utter baffoon you elected to the WH in 2020. Any rational person could have told you that Biden was the worst possible choice at any time during the last 5 decades.

Democrats have been investigating Trump at the federal, state and local levels for well over 7 consecutive years now. Every single left-wing investigation as usual has come up high and dry. It will be Biden's turn starting in January, I hope.

Again, I'm not the one seeking a white nationalist ethnostate.
No one is, but liberals sure want to make sure Black people and other know their place.

No one is, but liberals sure want to make sure Black people and other know their place.
That's true, and the dems are letting many know their current place is under the thumb of the GQP racists, homophobes and misogynists.
That's what the last 5+ years have been about. Controlling people of color because the fear is whitey's numbers are declining and will soon be the minority. Have you been away? Oh, and there's also some nonsense about Chreeschun values coming from traitorous, insurrectionist hypocrites. What nonsense.

You left-wingers see a damn "constitutional crisis" under every rock, don't you?

If not that, then anything a republican does, according to you, will damage our "fragile democracy".

If you all on the left want to live your lives believing that everything is a crisis that requires investigation and hearings (that with you people always come up empty) - please go ahead while the rest of us try to emulate our parents and grandparents, but doing so with cool modern technology.

If this democracy is so damn fragile as you and your cohorts claim, then either strengthen it or ... figure something else out.

Members of the republican party just want to continue living our lives, but haven't been able to do so for the last 18+ months because you all are secretly teaching racist CRT bullshit to our kids behind our backs and God knows what else. You let accused murderers out on ROR - absolutely disgraceful.

This bullshit needs to end - and hopefully it will this November as the GOP has a more than excellent chance to regain the House and Senate and you all have no one to blame but yourselves because of the utter baffoon you elected to the WH in 2020. Any rational person could have told you that Biden was the worst possible choice at any time during the last 5 decades.

Democrats have been investigating Trump at the federal, state and local levels for well over 7 consecutive years now. Every single left-wing investigation as usual has come up high and dry. It will be Biden's turn starting in January, I hope.
I don't believe I used the term fragile democracy anywhere in my post though I did use Constitutional Crisis. You just used by post to launch into a rant about criticism of MOBSTER Trump who's name I used once in the post in your quote box.

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of opportunities to rail about criticisms of Trump in the coming months because there will be plenty of criticisms .....JUSTIFED.

Nah, standards are for chumps.

That's true, and the dems are letting many know their current place is under the thumb of the GQP racists, homophobes and misogynists.
That's what the last 5+ years have been about. Controlling people of color because the fear is whitey's numbers are declining and will soon be the minority. Have you been away? Oh, and there's also some nonsense about Chreeschun values coming from traitorous, insurrectionist hypocrites. What nonsense.
I think you missed some -ist and -phobe labels in there in your inane cliche babbling. Also fun to see you whine about all that and then apparently display bigotry against Christians. That's some irony there.

I think you missed some -ist and -phobe labels in there in your inane cliche babbling. Also fun to see you whine about all that and then apparently display bigotry against Christians. That's some irony there.
If only it wasn't for the proof of my claims. :rolleyes:
As for the so-called Christians, I'm just calling out their hypocrisy, I mean if you call yourself a Christian yet find some way to support Donald Trump you not only should be called out on it but also need to explain it within the realm of sanity. At this point it can no longer be done with any credibility.

If only it wasn't for the proof of my claims. :rolleyes:
As for the so-called Christians, I'm just calling out their hypocrisy, I mean if you call yourself a Christian yet find some way to support Donald Trump you not only should be called out on it but also need to explain it within the realm of sanity. At this point it can no longer be done with any credibility.
More cliche babbling while trying to excuse your bigotry.

Back
Top Bottom