• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Zelensky evacuate?

No I kind of? get the other side too. Especially a guy like Zelensky... he's the leader of that country so of course he is going to fight till the end. I'm kind of criticizing the citizen there that possibly have families and arent really thinking this through......
They are thinking it through.

What kind of life will they have under Putin? Will their children have? Will their families have as refugees?

I understand you cannot comprehend it - and that’s fine.

But I’ve sent countless members of my family away to war over the years in my own life - and my uncles literally forged their birth certificates to go and fight in WW2. Every male member of my family has been in the armed forces (or was rejected for medical reasons). There is a sense of pride in fighting for what is right and just and for freedom.

If you can’t understand it, the least you can do is appreciate and respect it.

Your freedom has been bought and paid for by men and women that have answered the call to fight over the course of history. If not for them, you could be living a very different life right now.

It would do you well not to forget that.

I think Zelensky and as many Ukranians as possible should evacuate cities that have no hope of defeating the invasion. Their lives matter more than hero stories. They can determine how to fight after that.
Its a fine line. If Zelensky and other leaders leaves too soon he can't lead them at all. One can lose respect of your people and your army if you jump on that plane. Remember too the very best places to minimize a numerical disadvantage and to slow down invaders is in that urban terrain, block by block, house by house, street by street, If you are out in the open total routes happen very fast and you lose a LOT ground or a LOT of your army.

I do not believe Zelensky is still in Kyiv. One must remember that propaganda flows from all directions in wartime. It strains credulity that the President of Ukraine is running around the outskirts of the Capitol shooting Russians between zoom calls. My guess is that he was bundled up and taken to a bunker in Lyviv a long time ago if he’s even still in the country.

He should certainly fall back once the city has been unequivocally taken, but I expect him to stay and fight a guerilla war from the Ukrainian countryside.
That's how Russians lost to the Afghans' ......... covert guerrilla action. I say Ukranians should ditch uniforms
thus making it more difficult for Putin in some respects. All of the Ukraine soldiers become covert guerrillas with UK, USA, GERMANY etc etc etc providing recon and intelligence.....these 3 would be enough. More would be too many. With EU still purchasing and delivering weapons.

Reactions: lwf
I think Zelensky and as many Ukranians as possible should evacuate cities that have no hope of defeating the invasion. Their lives matter more than hero stories. They can determine how to fight after that.
You're asking a different question in the OP than you are in the title.

Should Zelensky evacuate?

Yes, bur I like him better for not.

Evacuating a whole nation is not really on the table.

That's how Russians lost to the Afghans' ......... covert guerrilla action. I say Ukranians should ditch uniforms thus making it more difficult for Putin in some respects.

I saw a report that some already have.

No, I think he's doing the right thing.

trump said he would go fight in Ukraine with Zelensky, but bone spurs.

Predictably, the OP has no concept of why Zelensky is staying nor any real understanding of what it would mean if something were to happen to Zelensky by the Russians.

That's how Russians lost to the Afghans' ......... covert guerrilla action. I say Ukranians should ditch uniforms
thus making it more difficult for Putin in some respects. All of the Ukraine soldiers become covert guerrillas with UK, USA, GERMANY etc etc etc providing recon and intelligence.....these 3 would be enough. More would be too many. With EU still purchasing and delivering weapons.
Not the time to do that, yet....

Mykolayiv region under Ukraine’s Armed Forces control, enemy suffers losses​

WEDNESDAY, 2 MARCH 2022, 00:16
"During the fighting in the Mykolayiv region on 1 March, Ukrainian troops crushed an enemy’s column; Russian soldiers fled.

Source: Head of the Mykolayiv Regional State Administration (RSA) Vitaliy Kim on Telegram

Details: According to earlier information, Ukrainian troops managed to destroy nearly 800 units of Russian military equipment. Kim said he will collect and publish the exact figures later.

During the battle, Ukrainian Armed Forces lost one helicopter, but both pilots survived.

Meanwhile, the enemy has suffered heavy losses.

The Head of the Mykolayiv RSA added that many of the invaders remained in the fields of the Mykolayiv region – they just ran out of diesel. "Tomorrow we will go to find them," he added..."

Last edited:
That is likely to come in the weeks ahead if diplomacy fails.

yes, at some point if things look bad. he can't get captured, Russia ****s will kill him. Hope he has an escape plan.

The people should stay and fight if they choose. Zelensky should do whatever it takes to avoid being killed, he is critically important to Ukraine's morale.

Doubts about Putin's capabilities are growing. Quick invasion of Ukraine? Nope. War chest to defeat sanctions? Nope.

I'm starting to doubt his ability to credibly threaten the world with mutually assured destruction when his army ain't got radios, food, or gas.

The people should stay and fight if they choose. Zelensky should do whatever it takes to avoid being killed, he is critically important to Ukraine's morale.
If it's clear staying will just get them blown up, I'd like them to evacuate. It's analogous at that point to a school shooting - should the kids 'stay and fight' and get shot?

Considering Russia is no where near from controlling Ukraine I would say no.

Doubts about Putin's capabilities are growing. Quick invasion of Ukraine? Nope. War chest to defeat sanctions? Nope.

I'm starting to doubt his ability to credibly threaten the world with mutually assured destruction when his army ain't got radios, food, or gas.
You shouldn't doubt that.

It's a huge danger. War is a lot harder than ordering a launch.

Considering Russia is no where near from controlling Ukraine I would say no.
My question was about cities it's clear Russia is going to overtake, if the people would just get killed.

I'm confused about the rifles and pistols they're using. Are they not enough to stop an invading army?

I'm confused about the rifles and pistols they're using. Are they not enough to stop an invading army?
I'm not sure about your question, but in my opinion, no they're not. I think the resisters have had unexpected early success because Putin at first took a 'soft' approach, avoid killing civilians, send in tiny forces, with both incompetence and low morale - some Russians were puncturing their own gas tanks to run out of gas - but Putin is switching to more indiscriminate bombing, more force and now, even illegal weapons that will devastate.

I'm not sure about your question, but in my opinion, no they're not. I think the resisters have had unexpected early success because Putin at first took a 'soft' approach, avoid killing civilians, send in tiny forces, with both incompetence and low morale - some Russians were puncturing their own gas tanks to run out of gas - but Putin is switching to more indiscriminate bombing, more force and now, even illegal weapons that will devastate.
I think part of the "indiscriminate bombing" is actually a result of Russian forces depleting their stock of guided weaponry and poorly-trained artillery operators can't aim worth shit. Evil and incompetent!

The OP question is the penultimate one. I think the #1 question is whether Zelensky would be more effective staying alive than being a martyr. I don't know the answer to that but I hope he stays alive.

Back
Top Bottom