• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should you take your shoes off at home? - Or at other people's homes?

In other people's homes ....

• .... one should always take of one's shoes

• .. one should not be obliged to take off one's shoes

• ... one should sometimes take off one's shoes

• don't care

• don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now where are the Free and the Brave?

I only see docile types who humbly take off their shoes when ordered about! :alien:

Why do you ask a question if you are going to insult people for answering.

And Samurai and other warriors followed the practice of removing shoes while the multi war losing Germans keep their shoes on.

There are still some here, who are free and brave - and do not behave like slaves in front of a strict host, who orders them about!
Now there are TWO votes for: one should not be obliged to take off one's shoes

What surprises me:

Americans seem to have terribly dirty shoes most the time.
Are there no paved streets?
Must the poor Americans walk on dirty dirt tracks most of the time?
So that their shoes are terrible dirty most of the time?

Here in Europe our shoes are usually clean when we pay a visit.

What surprises me:

You obviously haven't been to all parts of Europe. When I was in Germany and France I got the distinct impression that deodorant was optional.

You obviously haven't been to all parts of Europe.

Btw: You did not answer my question, whether US-Americans always walk on very dirty dirt tracks all the time.
As their shoes seem to be so terribly dirty all the time so that they REALLY HAVE TO TAKE them off in other people's homes.

:cool: :alien:

What surprises me:

Common courtesy.

Btw: You did not answer my question, whether US-Americans always walk on very dirty dirt tracks all the time.
As their shoes seem to be so terribly dirty all the time so that they REALLY HAVE TO TAKE them off in other people's homes.

:cool: :alien:

It is really a stupid comment you are making. The American landscape is made up of all kinds of places; cities, suburbs, farmland, deserts, mountains. So which "dirt tracks" and whom are you talking about? A farmer's shoes after coming in from the fields, or someone who works in a high rise office building in New York and then walks to the subway.

No doubt their are lots of dirty places everywhere, as there are many people who don't own a lot of pairs of shoes so I don't know what your observations were other than sweeping generalizations. I own many shoes. Dress shoes, business shoes, causal shoes, sneakers, work boots, etc. If we are talking about causual shoes like sneakers, I generally own multiples of the same brand and style so I frequently wash them in the washing machine and rotate them. For one they last longer, and by the time they look beat up they get rotated out to the garage to be used as work shoes for gardening etc.

If your feet stink as bad as mine its probably best to keep em on

It is really a stupid comment you are making.

No.
You did not understand it.
But that does not make it stupid.
It was a very sensible argument in ironic form
Real court jesters should understand that.
I it is so easy to call all good arguments against one's own side stupid.
IGNO.

No.
You did not understand it.
But that does not make it stupid.
It was a very sensible argument in ironic form
Real court jesters should understand that.
I it is so easy to call all good arguments against one's own side stupid.
IGNO.

It is business as usual with Rumpel disparaging those who disagree with him.

Nothing worse than walking into a place where people are in their socks and the room has the smell of nacho toe cheese.

Human feet actually perspire a lot. The amount of sweat and oils from bare feet on carpeting is way worse than wearing clean shoes.

I take off my shoes in my house only for comfort, if I'm not going out again anytime soon. If someone requests I remove my shoes before entering their home, I will do it immediately. I have never asked any of my guests to remove their shoes in my home.

When asked, I don’t have a problem but overall I think it borders on rude. A guest in your home shoudl be just that. If you’re worried about a little extra cleaning, meet ‘em at a Starbucks.

Maybe there could be a little bit of dust on your trousers!
So guests have to take their pants off!

All in respect for the holy Saint furniture of the almighty host!

:alien: :cool:

Maybe there could be a little bit of dust on your trousers!
So guests have to take their pants off!

All in respect for the holy Saint furniture of the almighty host!

Time to bring back those clear plastic couch covers that were popular with some in the '50s and '60s. :p

Neither have I.
I think this a very rude request.

So do I, I'd feel weird even asking.

Should you take your shoes off at home? - Or at other people's homes?

though we haven't yet in our own house, it's my opinion that we probably should. carpet is effectively a dirty sweater that you can only dab at with a wet vac every once in a while. i have told my wife that carpet will be a major consideration for me in any new house that we buy. dogs and carpet do not mix, and i'm about done with it. even if you don't have dogs and hit it with the carpet cleaner, it's still dingy and the stains come back eventually. **** that. the best way to clean a carpet is to rip it out, take it to the dump, and replace it with a real floor.

I take my shoes off because I am one of the ones who vacuums and mops. It really helps to keep the floors clean.

I think it is pretty inconsiderate of others not to take their shoes off. I most of the time take my shoes of at other peoples houses.

Ever try washing your feet? How about clean socks or some new shoes? Smelly feet is a sign of poor personal hygiene

I believe in Canada it is pretty much standard for shoes to be removed. No one wants snow tracked around the house. Shoes might have rocks in them which could scratch the flooring.
Some but not many ask that you wear slippers when you get in there house.

Slippers are very common in Asia I believe

No one wants snow tracked around the house.

I can understand that. And if there is mud etc on the shoes.
But that is not the norm.

Usually shoes are clean.
Why remove clean shoes?

I take my shoes off because I am one of the ones who vacuums and mops. It really helps to keep the floors clean.

Aha.
But what about clean shoes?
Why remove clean shoes?

And if the shoes are cleaner than the carpet, do you then ask your host to remove that unclean carpet, so that your shoes can stay clean! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom