• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should you take your shoes off at home? - Or at other people's homes?

In other people's homes ....

• .... one should always take of one's shoes

• .. one should not be obliged to take off one's shoes

• ... one should sometimes take off one's shoes

• don't care

• don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hello - are you all in bed still? :)

b) I walk for miles and miles through dust and dirt and and swamps and dirt and dust - and then enter the house with terribly dirty shoes.

The initial entrance, yes, you walk in with whatever shoes your wearing. If its normal dirty, you typically will enter into a foyer where you will then take off your shoes. But if you're particularly dirty you will then enter into the established 'mud room'

The initial entrance, yes, you walk in with whatever shoes your wearing. If its normal dirty, you typically will enter into a foyer where you will then take off your shoes. But if you're particularly dirty you will then enter into the established 'mud room'

Und in which country is that? :)

May I repeat: :)

If you are paying a visit, how do you go about it?

a) I put on clean shoes, go a few steps to my car, drive there, park the car, go a view steps to my friends' house, and enter the house with clean shoes.
b) I walk for miles and miles through dust and dirt and and swamps and dirt and dust - and then enter the house with terribly dirty shoes.

From most of the comments in this thread it looks like that version b) is the usual version in the US.
Has the US become a Third World country by now?

It must just blow your mind that cultural norms are different in different countries, or even different in separate areas of the same country. Here's another one to blow your mind: it is standard practice at my kids' school, as well as other schools in the area (no idea how common it is Canada-wide), for students to remove their outside shoes upon entering the classroom, and putting on indoor shoes.

There is nothing mind-blowing about it.

Why can't people just keep to the facts instead of getting personal?

Maybe we'll get more than just 11 voters sometime? :)

Why can't people just keep to the facts instead of getting personal?
See:

And: Too much attention to 100 percent cleanlyness is not healthy.
It is rather the sign of narrow minds.
If you are paying a visit, how do you go about it?

a) I put on clean shoes, go a few steps to my car, drive there, park the car, go a view steps to my friends' house, and enter the house with clean shoes.

From most of the comments in this thread it looks like that version b) is the usual version in the US.
Has the US become a Third World country by now?
They are right! Because IT IS weird! :cool:

Maybe we'll get more than just 11 voters sometime?
Not if you always interact like above.

Not if you always interact like above.

Better watch your own "inter-acting".

You seem to have now idea what PERSONALLY means.

"Shoes off!" - that may be something for third world countries

- or for countries with an un-healthy obsession with cleanliness.

"Shoes off!" - that may be something for third world countries

- or for countries with an un-healthy obsession with cleanliness.

Third world countries?

Unhealthy obsession?

Kinda judgemental there Rumpel.

Indonesia, Eastern Europe, much of the Middle East, Japan, Finland, Caribbean countries and Sweden are all "third world"?

Only one vote for: one should not be obliged to take off one's shoes

------------

And that in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave! :cool:

Yes, indeed.
But you never understood any humour.
You must take everything deadly serious.

Over and out.

:alien: :alien: :cool:

You've said it before.

It is a trend for you to demean any custom not your liking.

Just as it is a trend to insult those you disagree with.

Ironic as you ask for their opinions.

Now where are the Free and the Brave?

I only see docile types who humbly take off their shoes when ordered about! :alien:

And who seems more ridiculous than people dressed up nice for a dinner party in someone's home standing around socializing with each other in their dirty smelly socks?

Nah, ain't gonna do it. Fughetaboutit!

First thing I thought of.

Of course, IMHO, few people attend such gatherings. I bet 95% or more don't.

Exactly!

And shoes nowadays are clean in most cases anyhow.

But there are those who value their stupid old carpets more than human guests.

That is no culture! :cool:

or they don't want to scratch their wood floors... like a shoe is gonna make a scratch.

First thing I thought of.

Of course, IMHO, few people attend such gatherings. I bet 95% or more don't.

Well, I do on occasion, and no I don't expect to be demanded to take my shoes off. I'm not going to walking on their sofa and chairs, or climbing into their beds. My wife spends crazy money on expensive designer shoes; I don't see her taking them off to wander around indoors like some vagabond hippy from Calcutta.

When you invite people into your home, THEY are the guests.

Only one vote for: one should not be obliged to take off one's shoes

Two now, I just voted no way JOSE!!!

One time a real estate person told me I had to take my shoes off in a home she was showing per the owner's demand. Asian owned home (but not Japanese) that was quite frankly none too clean or sanitary. Lots of pets inside, dogs, cats, birds--- place smelled like cat piss. I told the real estate woman are you nuts! You could probably catch the plague off of those dirty carpets and sticky piss smelling floors. What in the hell do the owners think they are protecting in that mess?

Ended up only walking into one room anyway. I wouldn't have bought that house if it was offered for $1000. Nice gated community too. But the house would have needed all the plaster torn off the walls and the floors sandblasted to get rid of the animal urine smells. Family that lived there probably was running a Wuhan wet market... pigs!!!

Well, I do on occasion, and no I don't expect to be demanded to take my shoes off. I'm not going to walking on their sofa and chairs, or climbing into their beds. My wife spends crazy money on expensive designer shoes; I don't see her taking them off to wander around indoors like some vagabond hippy from Calcutta.

When you invite people into your home, THEY are the guests.

I know I attend fine dinners like this too but honest, how many do? Here at DP, we may well be among the very few.

I know I attend fine dinners like this too but honest, how many do? Here at DP, we may well be among the very few.

Probably true. Seems like more of backyard BBQ in your shorts and thongs--- or a wedding reception in the park kind of crowd around here. I'm sure most have never been to a dinner party where you sit down at assigned seats around a table with fine china and silverware without plastic 2 liter bottles of Mountain Dew on the table. Few people today even know what is proper attire for a wedding or a funeral. See people showing up in t shirts and jeans. I'm glad I don't run in those kinds of circles. Went to a funeral for someone from work who had died and besides the stiff in the box and the preacher, I was the only other one who wore a suit and tie. A suit--- not a sports coat and slacks. A dark suit.

Back
Top Bottom