• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should William Barr be confirmed as Attorney General?

Should William Barr be confirmed Attorney General

• Yes, he should be confirmed

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • No, he should not be confirmed

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
There's some misgivings on the left about his appointment since he wrote a pro-Trump memo last year that became public knowledge. In his 20 page memo, he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. It has also been reported that William Barr shared this memo with Donald Trump personally.

I have to say that being a liberal and a definite anti-Trump advocate, if I were a Senate on that hearing, I am leaning to voting to confirm his appointment but only if he assures the Senate that he allow Mueller to continue his investigation and he will allow Mueller himself to release his report to the public when it's finished. This is important for many reason. It can't be edited by anyone else, not Giuliani, not Barr, not anyone. We can't have Mueller writing a 400 page report then have either Giuliani, Barr or any of Trump's lawyers editing it. William Barr should also agree to subject himself to the ethics people at the Justice Dept and do what they say, that's not what Whitaker has said he had the power to do.

The democrats really don't have the votes to stop him but despite that, I feel he's an institutionalist and would abide by the rules by not interfering in any way with the Mueller investigation. This is an important appointment in many ways, William Barr will also be 3rd in line of succession for the presidency.

he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. It has also been reported that William Barr shared this memo with Donald Trump personally.

... I am leaning to voting to confirm his appointment

I did not get your reasons as to why.

Why is it acceptable to have an AG who thinks President is above the law? (Especially with THIS President)

Barr couldn't be more clear or say in more ways that he will not interfere, allow or support interfering with Mueller's investigation.

Why is it acceptable to have an AG who thinks President is above the law? (Especially with THIS President)

But I did give my reasons why I feel he should be confirmed. I will list them specifically.

1. He must assure the Senate that he will not interfere or try to obstruct the Mueller investigation in any way.

2. He must agree to the conditions as I've stated them above. He must agree to allow Mueller to release his wrap-up of this investigation on his own, not to be handed off to others such as Trump's attorneys or to William Barr or anyone else that may edit the content. It has to be released - to the public and to Congress - in its entirety, unabashed and unadulterated.

3. He must be willing to accept a DOJ ethics committee review of any of his decisions that may impact and/or influence the report or the outcome from the information of that report provided by Robert Mueller.

Within the parameters of these conditions, I would feel more comfortable with his appointment.

Should he be confirmed? Probably not. Will he be confirmed? Probably so.

Anyone appointed by Trump carries the taint. They should all be cleared out when he's impeached. They could have a Presidential Prison instead of a library.

Love hearing Barr's thoughts on the Comey spectacle where he let Hillary off the hook in the email investigation. Yes, that was ****** up.

There's some misgivings on the left about his appointment since he wrote a pro-Trump memo last year that became public knowledge. In his 20 page memo, he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. It has also been reported that William Barr shared this memo with Donald Trump personally.

I have to say that being a liberal and a definite anti-Trump advocate, if I were a Senate on that hearing, I am leaning to voting to confirm his appointment but only if he assures the Senate that he allow Mueller to continue his investigation and he will allow Mueller himself to release his report to the public when it's finished. This is important for many reason. It can't be edited by anyone else, not Giuliani, not Barr, not anyone. We can't have Mueller writing a 400 page report then have either Giuliani, Barr or any of Trump's lawyers editing it. William Barr should also agree to subject himself to the ethics people at the Justice Dept and do what they say, that's not what Whitaker has said he had the power to do.

The democrats really don't have the votes to stop him but despite that, I feel he's an institutionalist and would abide by the rules by not interfering in any way with the Mueller investigation. This is an important appointment in many ways, William Barr will also be 3rd in line of succession for the presidency.

There is no way that Mueller will ever release his report to the public...or anyone else. He will give it to the AG...only.

Barr won't edit Mueller's report. But don't think Barr will release Mueller's report, as is, to the public or to any Congressional committee. That just won't happen. There will be redactions.

I expect Barr will release the unredacted report to members of the Gang of Eight. Those guys have the clearance to see any classified information. But the Gang of Eight won't be releasing that to the public.

The only thing the public will see is a summary from the DOJ and, maybe, the redacted version that Congress gets.

Absent the man indicating he holds "radical" ideas of some stripe, he probably should be confirmed.

If he is willing to agree to those terms I think that should disqualify him. His job is over site of the investigation which means he is expected to make sure it is done properly. He has an obligation to interfere if something is being done wrong

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There is no way that Mueller will ever release his report to the public...or anyone else. He will give it to the AG...only.

Barr won't edit Mueller's report. But don't think Barr will release Mueller's report, as is, to the public or to any Congressional committee. That just won't happen. There will be redactions.

I expect Barr will release the unredacted report to members of the Gang of Eight. Those guys have the clearance to see any classified information. But the Gang of Eight won't be releasing that to the public.

The only thing the public will see is a summary from the DOJ and, maybe, the redacted version that Congress gets.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/14/william-barr-trumps-ag-pick-says-mueller-report-public/2569214002/

WASHINGTON – William Barr, nominated to be President Donald Trump's next attorney general, believes that Russia special counsel Robert Mueller's final report should be made public and vowed that he will allow the special prosecutor to complete his work.

"It is very important that the public and Congress be informed of the results of the special counsel's work," Barr said in written testimony delivered to the Senate Judiciary Committee in advance of Tuesday confirmation hearing.

"For that reason, my goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law. I can assure you that, where judgments are to be made by me, I will make those judgments based solely on the law and will let no personal, political, or other improper interests influence my decision," Barr said.

I think Trump's haters are expecting a Comey-esque missive, given during a televised press conference. I don't think the release of Mueller's findings will be released that way and I agree much will be redacted.
Then, Muller will be attacked by the Left for his lack of transparency.

Anyone appointed by Trump carries the taint. They should all be cleared out when he's impeached. They could have a Presidential Prison instead of a library.

If Trump is impeached and removed, I seriously doubt President Pence will clear out all of Trump’s appointments.

But I did give my reasons why I feel he should be confirmed. I will list them specifically.

1. He must assure the Senate that he will not interfere or try to obstruct the Mueller investigation in any way.

2. He must agree to the conditions as I've stated them above. He must agree to allow Mueller to release his wrap-up of this investigation on his own, not to be handed off to others such as Trump's attorneys or to William Barr or anyone else that may edit the content. It has to be released - to the public and to Congress - in its entirety, unabashed and unadulterated.

3. He must be willing to accept a DOJ ethics committee review of any of his decisions that may impact and/or influence the report or the outcome from the information of that report provided by Robert Mueller.

Within the parameters of these conditions, I would feel more comfortable with his appointment.

Considering the Attorney General doesn’t work for the Senate, how would he be held to those conditions if he agreed to them?

I think Trump's haters are expecting a Comey-esque missive, given during a televised press conference. I don't think the release of Mueller's findings will be released that way and I agree much will be redacted.
Then, Muller will be attacked by the Left for his lack of transparency.

I am a professed 'Trump-hater' as you've described us, we prefer to be described as the people who are trying to salvage what's left of this democratic republic after the vast devastation rained down on us by Trump's administration. Personally, I was expecting exactly what we've seen so far. I had an open mind watching this and didn't judge him despite the 20 page pro-Trump memo he released last June. I do have a problem that he shared this memo with Kushner's counsel, with Trump, and with others because I can assume he was merely campaigning for himself to be appointed to this position.

So far, he has answered questions appropriately in addition to confirming that he will release the Mueller results publicly but of course would redact any information that would reveal sources and methods. That's fine with me. Considering that we've had far worse with Jeff Sessions and Matt Whitaker, we have to take a leap of faith at some point and put our trust into someone.

There's some misgivings on the left about his appointment since he wrote a pro-Trump memo last year

Oh my! If that's the case the leadership of the FBI, DOJ, and most of the Mueller anti Trump members should be fired immediately for their anti trump shenanigans.....That would be ....fair.

Considering the Attorney General doesn’t work for the Senate, how would he be held to those conditions if he agreed to them?

The U.S. Constitution provides that civil officers of the United States, which would include the U.S. Attorney General, may be impeached by Congress for treason, bribery or high crimes and misdemeanors. He has just given sworn testimony under oath and if he arbitrarily makes the decision to hide, share, change, or edit any part of Mueller's report then he could be held in contempt of Congress and could be impeached.

Based on what?

Chris Christie in that same Jon Karl interview you give such credence to in the other thread, claimed just the opposite.

That Barr is a standard issue Washington inside lawyer. What that means is he's gonna let Mueller release the report publicly.

5:24
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jonathan-karl-mueller-report-almost-170628193.html

Oh my! If that's the case the leadership of the FBI, DOJ, and most of the Mueller anti Trump members should be fired immediately for their anti trump shenanigans.....That would be ....fair.

Well yes, they were if you've forgotten. Comey, Page, Skrozk, McCabe, Sessions and James Mattis are all gone.

He's a worthless hack. But, I see no way the Dems can stop him.

But I did give my reasons why I feel he should be confirmed. I will list them specifically...

Ok, so, you are essentially saying you want assurances from him that he will not interfere with Mueller investigation, but then even with that, he would still believe in President being above the law. So why would you confirm him?

What about the non-Mueller investigations for example? Say if President obstructs justice in other cases?

Also, isn't it like hiring someone who believes you should be robbed but giving you assurances that they will try not to rob you on this one case? (though it would NOT be easy to verify he they do or not).

Why not pick an AG who actually believes President is not above the law?

He does not think the president is above the law!! No way no how!!

No, he should not be confirmed. He might assure people that he will allow the Mueller investigation to continue unhindered. What disturbs me the most about him is will he hinder its release to the public. Additionally disturbing is his views that a President should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

Oh the drama.... a childish response to a serious question. Conditional normal here at DP :lol:

The hearing just started a couple hours ago. Maybe, just maybe listen to Mr. Barr and
then draw your conclusion as to whether he should be our next Attorney General.

Some here have decided because President Trump nominated him that makes him disqualify
to serve. The Trump hate does bad thing to your mind!!

Back
Top Bottom