• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should William Barr be confirmed as Attorney General?

Should William Barr be confirmed Attorney General

• Yes, he should be confirmed

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • No, he should not be confirmed

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
I am a professed 'Trump-hater' as you've described us, we prefer to be described as the people who are trying to salvage what's left of this democratic republic after the vast devastation rained down on us by Trump's administration. Personally, I was expecting exactly what we've seen so far. I had an open mind watching this and didn't judge him despite the 20 page pro-Trump memo he released last June. I do have a problem that he shared this memo with Kushner's counsel, with Trump, and with others because I can assume he was merely campaigning for himself to be appointed to this position.

So far, he has answered questions appropriately in addition to confirming that he will release the Mueller results publicly but of course would redact any information that would reveal sources and methods. That's fine with me. Considering that we've had far worse with Jeff Sessions and Matt Whitaker, we have to take a leap of faith at some point and put our trust into someone.

Barr is an excellent choice. Very impressive. I don't think either side is going to get to weaponize him.
What a remarkable contrast to the circus that was the Kavanaugh confirmation.

I definitely feel like a long con is being played, but I have no idea which way it's being played. So I can't answer.

He does not think the president is above the law!! No way no how!!

As OP indicated, "he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice"

"obstruction of justice" is against the law. So yes, he DOES think President is above the law.

Ok, so, you are essentially saying you want assurances from him that he will not interfere with Mueller investigation, but then even with that, he would still believe in President being above the law. So why would you confirm him?

What about the non-Mueller investigations for example? Say if President obstructs justice in other cases?

Also, isn't it like hiring someone who believes you should be robbed but giving you assurances that they will try not to rob you on this one case? (though it would NOT be easy to verify he they do or not).

Why not pick an AG who actually believes President is not above the law?

The nominations for Attorney General are made by Trump under the direction of the Freedom Caucus who also gave him Kavanaugh to nominate. There's no getting around whom Trump has the right to recommend for appointment. Yes, I want assurances that he would not interfere with the Mueller investigation just as the Senate asked for those assurances. He clearly gave them these assurances.

In a letter to Lindsey Graham Monday night ahead of the hearing, Barr reiterated that he believed Mueller should be able to finish his investigation — and that he believes a president can be guilty of obstructing justice.

“If a President, acting with the requisite intent, engages in the kind of evidence impairment the statute prohibits – regardless whether it involves the exercise of his or her constitutional powers or not – then a President commits obstruction of justice under the statute. It is as simple as that,” Barr wrote.

Regarding 'non-Mueller investigations', there are currently six separate investigations into Trump and his associates from four different investigative bodies. An additional lawsuit brought by two state attorneys general challenges whether Trump is in violation of the U.S. Constitution. There are further reports about probes into the financial dealings of the president’s eldest daughter, Ivanka Trump, and his second eldest son, Eric Trump. Each of these investigations are under the jurisdictions of the Attorney Generals of those particular states and as far as I know, if there were to be any conflict between state and federal laws, it would be the federal law that takes precedence. A federal court may require a state to stop certain behavior it believes interferes with, or is in conflict with, federal law.

State prosecutions are extremely protected from interference by any other court, even a federal court. In addition, people convicted of state crimes cannot be pardoned by the president. There are crimes that Manafort, Cohen and any of the Trumps that may be thrown out in a federal court of law but that doesn't prevent a State AG from prosecuting them for the same crimes. Under the state’s double jeopardy statutes, New York prosecutors couldn’t go after Cohen if Trump pardoned him for a specific federal crime. But they could go after him for related ones.

Barr couldn't be more clear or say in more ways that he will not interfere, allow or support interfering with Mueller's investigation.

.... its a bit difficult to take him at his word given that is what he must say to get through the process. However, he comes with a solid justice department track record, including a respect for the rule of law. While his words could be shallow, his track record gives us some comfort that he will defend vigorously defend the United States against all enemies foreign AND domestic.

He appears to be a quality and qualified guy; heads and shoulders above the actor that has the position now.

The next betting pool: after confirmation, how long before he is in Trump's cross-hairs. I say two months.

The hearing just started a couple hours ago. Maybe, just maybe listen to Mr. Barr and
then draw your conclusion as to whether he should be our next Attorney General.

Some here have decided because President Trump nominated him that makes him disqualify
to serve. The Trump hate does bad thing to your mind!!

Trump's judgement is highly suspect. Trump lost his right to the "benefit of the doubt" long ago.

Look at all of his appointees that are heading for jail and all the good ones that fled the ship like rats.

Last edited:
No, he should not be confirmed. He might assure people that he will allow the Mueller investigation to continue unhindered. What disturbs me the most about him is will he hinder its release to the public. Additionally disturbing is his views that a President should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice.

WASHINGTON – William Barr, nominated to be President Donald Trump's next attorney general, believes that Russia special counsel Robert Mueller's final report should be made public and vowed that he will allow the special prosecutor to complete his work.

"It is very important that the public and Congress be informed of the results of the special counsel's work," Barr said in written testimony delivered to the Senate Judiciary Committee in advance of Tuesday confirmation hearing

“On my watch,” Barr said in his prepared opening statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee Tuesday, Mueller “will be allowed to complete his work.”

Barr also said “it is vitally important” that Mueller be allowed to complete his investigation and that Congress and the public should learn the results.

Once again, I will reiterate what I've said in a previous comment. I would hope that someone in the Senate would get a solid reassurance from William Barr that he would not allow anyone to alter or change the Mueller report in any way save for redacting sources and methods.

"Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't". I believe it's wiser to deal with someone like William Barr who is held in high esteem on both sides and has a pretty clean record of dedication to our Constitutional laws. Although some may not like him or trust him, it's better than dealing with someone or something that we do not know that might be far worse.

Last edited:
There's some misgivings on the left about his appointment since he wrote a pro-Trump memo last year that became public knowledge. In his 20 page memo, he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. It has also been reported that William Barr shared this memo with Donald Trump personally.

Realistically there is nobody that Trump would nominate that's truly qualified and trustworthy. But not letting Trump nominate someone isn't an option so as long as he has sworn to let the Mueller investigation finish that's about as good as we're going to get. He's certainly better than the acting idiot they got in there now. It'll be bad no matter what though.

Barr is an excellent choice. Very impressive. I don't think either side is going to get to weaponize him.
What a remarkable contrast to the circus that was the Kavanaugh confirmation.

I agree, it's like watching an entirely different process. There's no 'shadows' other than his 18 or 20 page memo from last June and it appears that he responded to questions about that memo satisfactorily.

Barr is a hard right ideologue. He is also a partisan operative and I have little doubt he will do everything he can to protect Trump.

Realistically there is nobody that Trump would nominate that's truly qualified and trustworthy. But not letting Trump nominate someone isn't an option so as long as he has sworn to let the Mueller investigation finish that's about as good as we're going to get. He's certainly better than the acting idiot they got in there now. It'll be bad no matter what though.

Again, I agree with this. Trump is not only Putin's puppet, when it comes to nominations such as this. He doesn't know who is qualified to appoint any more than he knows how to buy groceries in a supermarket. He believes people need a valid ID to do that. He's also the puppet of the Freedom Caucus in this case, as was Kavanaugh's appointment. He relies on the Freedom Caucus to give him the name. Ideologically speaking, they’re among the most conservative of House Republicans so naturally they're going to recommend a man or woman that in their opinion will uphold the Constitution. The Freedom Caucus is composed of primarily former Tea Party members. Right now, the bloc of the House Freedom Caucus members are trying to persuade other Republican members and Trump to back off his shutdown and threat of declaring a national emergency. Unlike republican conservatives in the House, Freedom Caucus members are urging Trump to use asset forfeiture money or other discretionary fees to start construction on his wall.

Within his own party, Trump is hearing two different veins of thought on what he should do. This makes the problem with the democrats even more complex since there seems to be no solid agreements from his own party never-mind from the left.

I did not get your reasons as to why.

Why is it acceptable to have an AG who thinks President is above the law? (Especially with THIS President)

Could you list all the crimes Trump has committed? And I mean actually crimes.... not maybe's or possible's crimes.

Could you list all the crimes Trump has committed? And I mean actually crimes.... not maybe's or possible's crimes.

Is it possible that you did not hear "what happened" in 2016? Denying dear Hillary becoming POTUS counts as the crime of the century to many folks.

There is no way that Mueller will ever release his report to the public...or anyone else. He will give it to the AG...only.

Barr won't edit Mueller's report. But don't think Barr will release Mueller's report, as is, to the public or to any Congressional committee. That just won't happen. There will be redactions.

I expect Barr will release the unredacted report to members of the Gang of Eight. Those guys have the clearance to see any classified information. But the Gang of Eight won't be releasing that to the public.

The only thing the public will see is a summary from the DOJ and, maybe, the redacted version that Congress gets.

There is no way the American public would ever accept the report not being released.

There's some misgivings on the left about his appointment since he wrote a pro-Trump memo last year that became public knowledge. In his 20 page memo, he gave the opinion that as president of the U.S., that Donald Trump should not be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. It has also been reported that William Barr shared this memo with Donald Trump personally.

I have to say that being a liberal and a definite anti-Trump advocate, if I were a Senate on that hearing, I am leaning to voting to confirm his appointment but only if he assures the Senate that he allow Mueller to continue his investigation and he will allow Mueller himself to release his report to the public when it's finished. This is important for many reason. It can't be edited by anyone else, not Giuliani, not Barr, not anyone. We can't have Mueller writing a 400 page report then have either Giuliani, Barr or any of Trump's lawyers editing it. William Barr should also agree to subject himself to the ethics people at the Justice Dept and do what they say, that's not what Whitaker has said he had the power to do.

The democrats really don't have the votes to stop him but despite that, I feel he's an institutionalist and would abide by the rules by not interfering in any way with the Mueller investigation. This is an important appointment in many ways, William Barr will also be 3rd in line of succession for the presidency.

Given the proper assurances he should be confirmed. Unlike the present acting Attorney General there isn't any doubt that Barr has the qualifications for the position. I know Comey has praised his nomination. "I like and respect Bill Barr,” Comey said after leaving a day-long congressional hearing on Capitol Hill. “I know he’s an institutionalist who cares deeply about the integrity of the Justice Department.”

He has not been convicted of any, but he is definitely being sued and investigated on multiple fronts.

Here has a good partial list for you:

- Obstruction of justice is just one crime - e.g. firing Comey because he did not want him investigating Trump-Russia collusion. We've all seen him confess to this one in an interview.

- He is also being sued for violating the Emoluments Clause (accepting money for his private businesses from foreign governments in exchange to favors)

- Likely "a felony by directing campaign payments to the adult-film star Stormy Daniels and the former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal to keep them quiet about sexual affairs". (Cohen named him as co conspirator).

- Corrupt tax practices in which a younger Trump and his father, Fred Trump, attempted to evade their tax obligations through false assessments of properties and other shell games to protect their money.

- Trump's tax-exempt foundation misused funds for the personal benefit of the family, and even for the purposes of the 2016 campaign

Is it possible that you did not hear "what happened" in 2016? Denying dear Hillary becoming POTUS counts as the crime of the century to many folks.

Well, since Trump colluded with Russia during the election, defrauded the American public about his relationship with Russia and committed campaign fraud, calling it "the crime of the century" is kind of forgivable.

I have to say that being a liberal and a definite anti-Trump advocate, if I were a Senate on that hearing, I am leaning to voting to confirm his appointment but only if he assures the Senate that he allow Mueller to continue his investigation and he will allow Mueller himself to release his report to the public when it's finished. This is important for many reason. It can't be edited by anyone else, not Giuliani, not Barr, not anyone. We can't have Mueller writing a 400 page report then have either Giuliani, Barr or any of Trump's lawyers editing it. William Barr should also agree to subject himself to the ethics people at the Justice Dept and do what they say, that's not what Whitaker has said he had the power to do.

The democrats really don't have the votes to stop him but despite that, I feel he's an institutionalist and would abide by the rules by not interfering in any way with the Mueller investigation. This is an important appointment in many ways, William Barr will also be 3rd in line of succession for the presidency.

Is it true he was behind the Iran contra cover up?

Well, since Trump colluded with Russia during the election, defrauded the American public about his relationship with Russia and committed campaign fraud, calling it "the crime of the century" is kind of forgivable.

With all of that evidence at hand then one wonders why impeachment is not under way.

With all of that evidence at hand then one wonders why impeachment is not under way.

Because you need at least 20 Republicans (off the top of my head) to pull it off. Impeachment requires a majority of the House to file articles of impeachment and 2/3rds of the Senate to convict. And as it stands, Republicans are angry about the facts that the evidence exists and none at all about what Trump did.

--He also gave a vague answer to Amy Klobuchar in which he said that he could "conceive of" situations where he would feel it necessary to jail reporters who "hurt the country". No specifics or specific examples given.

This is a definite red flag requiring a NO vote.

Last edited:

Six democrats filed articles of impeachment way back in 2017 and of course it went nowhere. It was way too premature. There were new articles of impeachment drafted up earlier this month but not surprisingly, republicans would not hold hearings on it in the House for discussion. Again, too premature. Any further actions will have to wait until after the Mueller investigation has been completed.

Back
Top Bottom