• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should we worry that America will become Sharia compliant?

Should we worry that America will become Sharia compliant?

• Total voters
I keep hearing from conservative talk show hosts that Feisal Abdul Rauf (the Imam for the Park 51/Cordoba House/Ground Zero Mosque) wants a Sharia compliant America and that we should be worried.

Why would Americans EVER condone cutting someone's hands off for stealing (they do also imprison people for theft)? Or stoning to death someone for committing adultery? Or lashing someone for having sex out of wedlock? Or killing someone who renounces their faith? Or allowing more than one wife? Or only allowing the husband to divorce his wife? Or killing homosexuals?

Some of the other laws aren't that big of a deal, or are more related to personal ways of practicing Islam rather than crime and punishment.

But to even humor the thought that we in America have anything to worry about this Imam wanting a Sharia compliant America IMO is laughable.

To be honest I don't know how far the majority of Muslims in America would want to integrate Sharia Law into America, if at all. Some Muslims condemn some of the forms of punishment listed above. Though there is much covered in Sharia law, many of the laws conflict with the rights and practices we have in America. I simply do not believe the laws that go against our constitution and practices would ever be condoned in America.

I'm more worried about America becoming Catholic compliant.

I'm more worried about America becoming Catholic compliant.

Naturally we shouldn't be compliant with any religion.
Just curious why you chose Catholic to be more worried about.
Sharia law allows for the stoning death of adulterers, gays etc.
Catholic law would not allow abortions.
I know which one I'd choose to be more worrisom.

Evangelicals are the ones actively seeking to subvert the constitution, and they tend to be neither Catholic nor Muslim

Naturally we shouldn't be compliant with any religion.
Just curious why you chose Catholic to be more worried about.
Sharia law allows for the stoning death of adulterers, gays etc.
Catholic law would not allow abortions.
I know which one I'd choose to be more worrisom.

Out of a bench of nine, 5 of our Supreme Court Justices are Catholic. That's why I picked it.
And while Sharia law allows for the stoning death of adulterers, gays, etc., Catholic law would be more than just not allowing abortions.

Out of a bench of nine, 5 of our Supreme Court Justices are Catholic. That's why I picked it.
And while Sharia law allows for the stoning death of adulterers, gays, etc., Catholic law would be more than just not allowing abortions.
Something worse than stoning?

I think the more important question is why is the right so obsessed with telling us that we're one step away from Sharia Law? Of course it's a ridiculous notion, but why are so many people afraid of it?

Could you provide the quotations from the right that say that?

We won't have to worry about Sharia Law having any power in America. It goes against our core values of separation between Church, and State, and freedom. Muslims are free to practice here in America just like any other religion, but anyone who wants to implement Sharia Law will be sorely disappointed how fast they get shot down by any judge.

Shot down by a judge? would it get that far? If I knew about it, the perps would get shot down by me and my pistol....

I wasn't aware that the Catholic Pope has called for the establishment of Cannon Law in any state whatsoever. Do they even use Cannon Law at Vatican City? I'm pretty sure that you can not be arrested in Vatican city for being a homosexual or an apostate or even a pro-abortion advocate.

Last edited:
The poll results make me facepalm.

We have a jackass DP member who goes around messing with polls. :doh This is why I make all my polls public so this person can't **** up the real results. If you click the number next to the choices you'll see 4 members voted "yes"... not 32.

This is like asking should you worry that if you pull back the shower curtain could you find a bathtub full of snakes!!

I mean sure it "might" be possible. But really? Aren't their other more dangerous things to worry about? Like spiders...

America is not safe, none the less i voted NO.
How can anyone be so asinine as to be afraid of a religion?
Afraid of those who control a religion, maybe, afraid of those who control people perhaps, but a religion? wake up for gods sake, assuming you believe in such an entity.

We have a jackass DP member who goes around messing with polls. :doh This is why I make all my polls public so this person can't **** up the real results. If you click the number next to the choices you'll see 4 members voted "yes"... not 32.

Correction... 4, not 110. :badpc:

A judge in NJ found in favor of a Muslim who raped his wife. Under Sharia Law he didn't do anything wrong, and the judge took this into consideration. Thankfully it was later overturned.
Things are also going on in Michigan.
Oklahoma also has gone so far as to try to protect themselves from Sharia. On the ballot in Nov. there is a vote to Forbid it.

it was overturned. case closed. by the way, can you provide a link for that? and what's going on in michigan?

We won't have to worry about Sharia Law having any power in America. It goes against our core values of separation between Church, and State, and freedom. Muslims are free to practice here in America just like any other religion, but anyone who wants to implement Sharia Law will be sorely disappointed how fast they get shot down by any judge.

Like in England, I too am sure it will never happen here...

What happened in England?

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts -Times Online

Slowly but surely...line upon line...

umm...

I mean...NOTHING...just like here...or in Sweden...

"ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases. The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence. Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court. Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims. It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh."

I keep hearing from conservative talk show hosts that Feisal Abdul Rauf (the Imam for the Park 51/Cordoba House/Ground Zero Mosque) wants a Sharia compliant America and that we should be worried.

Why would Americans EVER condone cutting someone's hands off for stealing (they do also imprison people for theft)? Or stoning to death someone for committing adultery? Or lashing someone for having sex out of wedlock? Or killing someone who renounces their faith? Or allowing more than one wife? Or only allowing the husband to divorce his wife? Or killing homosexuals?

Some of the other laws aren't that big of a deal, or are more related to personal ways of practicing Islam rather than crime and punishment.

But to even humor the thought that we in America have anything to worry about this Imam wanting a Sharia compliant America IMO is laughable.

To be honest I don't know how far the majority of Muslims in America would want to integrate Sharia Law into America, if at all. Some Muslims condemn some of the forms of punishment listed above. Though there is much covered in Sharia law, many of the laws conflict with the rights and practices we have in America. I simply do not believe the laws that go against our constitution and practices would ever be condoned in America.

There are other less 'touchy' religion/government blends that we don't permit, either.
As Your Star said - it's strictly against our core as a country to blend at all.

Aside that - you can't incorporate what few tolerate.

The christian right wing nutjobs in this country frighten me far more than any sharia-law-wannabe person could ever hope to.

Then want shall be his master. :roll:

To be honest I don't know how far the majority of Muslims in America would want to integrate Sharia Law into America, if at all. Some Muslims condemn some of the forms of punishment listed above. Though there is much covered in Sharia law, many of the laws conflict with the rights and practices we have in America. I simply do not believe the laws that go against our constitution and practices would ever be condoned in America.[

Frankly, I'm more worried about a Right-wing Fundy takeover, à la "The Handmaid's Tale".
And even so, that's far, far down my endless list of worries.

it was overturned. case closed. by the way, can you provide a link for that? and what's going on in michigan?

Sorry can't do links. If you google Sharia Law Michigan you'll find a lot to choose from, especially for Dearborn Mi
NJ might be harder since it was overturned. I think i finally found it by google NJ judge Muslim religious belief's, or something along like lines.
I thought that was worth a mention because it was a judge who took Sharia Law into consideration in his ruling.
The man raped his wife, but sharia law allows that.

Back
Top Bottom