• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should we require all U.S citizens to spend two years overseas? [W:120]

Should all citizens be required to spend two years abroad?

• Yes, it increases tolerance, improves our foreign relations, and opens minds

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, I don't think we should learn more about other cultures

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Maybe a different program, such as volunteering in underprivileged communities

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
5 police officers who, in all honesty, set themselves up for it by wearing the same uniform that hundreds of racist white men have worn while killing people of color with impunity.

I'm not saying that murder is acceptable. I'm just saying that these police officers weren't innocent by any means.

You can't possibly know whether they were innocent or not. Tons of people become police officers with idealistic dreams of protecting everyone.

As for the OP.

Maybe we should require people like you to spend 2 years in prison...

Where do you draw the line on taking away freedom?

Yes, the apartheid under the white Rhodesian government was a good example of racism.

Thankfully, the current government of Zimbabwe is taking steps to reverse the damage that white racism has done to the oppressed communities of the country.

TRANSLATION: The current government stole the land from white land owners and gave it to black friends of the government.... Stolen from the white land owners for no other reason than they were white.

And look what happened. A wonderful worker's paradise it has become.

TRANSLATION: The current government stole the land from white land owners and gave it to black friends of the government.... Stolen from the white land owners for no other reason than they were white.

And look what happened. A wonderful worker's paradise it has become.

THe reason Zimbabwe's economy is not doing so well is because of the irreparable damage done to the majority black population at the hands of the apartheid government.

Yes, the apartheid under the white Rhodesian government was a good example of racism.

Thankfully, the current government of Zimbabwe is taking steps to reverse the damage that white racism has done to the oppressed communities of the country.

Regardless of whether or not they were justified in taking the land from white owners or not, the current government is not doing a great job at anything.

Bailing out bandits | The Economist

Regardless of whether or not they were justified in taking the land from white owners or not, the current government is not doing a great job at anything.

Bailing out bandits | The Economist

Just because you don't like the fact that apartheid was overthrown in Zimbabwe doesn't give you the right to spew meaningless slander and hate towards the people's government and their efforts to repair the massive damage caused by white rule.

Check my other thread, North Korea is a perfect example of what happens when a right wing government takes power. Militarism, misogyny, prejudice , ethnocentrism.

I'll pass on your offer.

Are you going to retract this or simply pretend you didn't write this....

Prejudice and racism or both forma of bigotry, but not the same.

How old are you? 13? You have a great deal of vocabulary to learn.

Well according to some Racism = Prejudice + Power.

And he's saying since white people have all the power (which is total BS), it's impossible for him to be racist, so he can only be prejudiced.

Are you going to retract this or simply pretend you didn't write this....

Oh no, I stand by what I said. The bigotry, militarism, misogyny, and focus on agrarianism in North Korea is very similar to the party line of the GOP.

Talk about loaded wording. If anyone does not think citizens should be kicked out of their own country for two years, it can only be because we don't want to learn about other cultures. It couldn't possibly be that it would be unconstitutional to evict citizens out of their own country, or that government should not have the power to disrupt two years of every citizen's life. Oh, and I suppose the cost of traveling to those other countries, along with everything else they need to survive for those years will be covered by the taxpayers, right? Because surely forcing people to give up their jobs, their homes, their lives and go bankrupt at the same time would be very bad form, yes? :lol:

The vast majority of our country's problems comes from our ignorance. Many young men and women in the "Bible Belt" have never been outside their home state before, let alone the country. They have never seen a world where police are unarmed and do not summarily execute people of color. They have never seen a world where private gun ownership is outlawed, and the public is safer because of it. They have never seen a world where the government pays for the healthcare bills of average citizens, and where the rich happily pay their fair share of taxes for the benefit of the public. They have never seen a world where Mao Zedong, Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, and Ho Chi Minh are not demonized by biased teachers and textbooks, but are treated and respected as the heroes they are.

I believe that all U.S citizens should be required to spend at least two years of their lives in a foreign country. This includes citizens from all over, regardless if they come for New York or Dallas, whether they are farmers or bankers. Special focus would be given on visiting countries that many citizens have been taught are their "enemies," and exploring the rich and profound culture and humanity of countries who are governed by revolutionaries, not reactionaries. China, Cuba, Venezuela, Vietnam, Laos, Bolivia, Iran, etc. Visiting other white dominated, capitalist countries such as Belgium or Canada or Israel would not fulfill this two year obligation.

If a citizen refuses to broaden his/her horizons and open their minds to other lifestyles around the world, they would be rightfully punished. Perhaps their right to vote could be suspended until this travel obligation is fulfilled, or maybe a prison term would also be a good punishment. While it seems harsh, these people have demonstrated their xenophobia and racism, and have shown that they will do nothing but hold progress back in this country.

The government would pay for all travel arrangements. We could afford this by cutting our military budget from 500 billion a year to 100 billion a year, in line with other countries our size such as India or China.

If this program were implemented, I believe that the citizens, voters, and leaders of the future would be far more open minded, well informed, and tolerant than citizens today currently are. We would have fewer unprovoked wars of aggression in other countries, both due to the increased tolerance and our decreased military budget. I truly believe that requiring all citizens to spend two years abroad would pay dividends for the future of the USA.

Although I do think it would be beneficial to most Americans to explore other places around the world, having it as a government mandate is one of the sillier ideas I've heard.

Just because you don't like the fact that apartheid was overthrown in Zimbabwe doesn't give you the right to spew meaningless slander and hate towards the people's government and their efforts to repair the massive damage caused by white rule.

I'm spewing no slander nor hate. I don't care what type of government is in charge. Any government making those economic decisions that lead to rampant hyperinflation is not doing a good job. Governments of mostly white people have done it too. Just as bad.

THe reason Zimbabwe's economy is not doing so well is because of the irreparable damage done to the majority black population at the hands of the apartheid government.

China is currently taking Africa's resources, and Africans aren't benefiting very much from it. You're either not aware of this or glad its happening because it benefits Most Glorious Nation of Chinastan.

China is currently taking Africa's resources, and Africans aren't benefiting very much from it. You're either not aware of this or glad its happening because it benefits Most Glorious Nation of Chinastan.

I am glad that China and many African countries have developed a mutually beneficial relationship to develop their economies and stand strong together from western imperialism.

Bull****...

Zimbabwe saw a rise in human rights soon after independence which peaked around 1990 when Mugabe consolidated power. It was downhill from there. The theft of land happened in 2000 and on.

So stop the ignorant claims.

Check my other thread, North Korea is a perfect example of what happens when a right wing government takes power. Militarism, misogyny, prejudice , ethnocentrism.

I'll pass on your offer.

Why not? I think you should be enriched by their culture.

Bull****...

Zimbabwe saw a rise in human rights soon after independence which peaked around 1990 when Mugabe consolidated power. It was downhill from there. The theft of land happened in 2000 and on.

So stop the ignorant claims.

Go back to stormfront.

I am glad that China and many African countries have developed a mutually beneficial relationship to develop their economies and stand strong together from western imperialism.

Please move back to China, you are not one of us. I would bet that a fund could be set up to send you back in style by next week.

That's ok. You can just enjoy not being able to vote until you make that trip.

How many silly threads are you going to clutter up this section of the board with? This isn't the communist dictatorship you want to create here. People don't have to travel. and its obvious that some who have traveled from one country, to another, have yet to Learn MUCH OF ANYTHING!

Please move back to China, you are not one of us. I would bet that a fund could be set up to send you back in style by next week.

Let's start a Go Fund Me page just for him.

Oh no, I stand by what I said. The bigotry, militarism, misogyny, and focus on agrarianism in North Korea is very similar to the party line of the GOP.

You double down on your ignorance and insult millions of decent citizens....

The DPRK is not nor has it ever been a right wing entity.

Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound at this time?

why are these questions so blatantly biased. there isn't even a slight effort to be realistic or impartial with the choices.

China has been developing markets in Africa for over 10 years, and importing Chinese workers to work in those sectors. Africans aren't benefiting whatsoever, aside from a few politicians getting paid off.

China has even been stealing the very food supply from Africa!
24 African Countries Ban China from Fishing Illegally in Their Waters
"Officials from 24 African countries met in Cameroon last month and called for China to stop illegal fishing off the West African coast. In some areas, Chinese fishermen have pushed their local counterparts back to shore, depriving them of their jobs and livelihoods.

This is imperialism Baby Dictator.

24 African Countries Ban China from Fishing Illegally in Their Waters - Atlanta Black Star

Well according to some Racism = Prejudice + Power.

And he's saying since white people have all the power (which is total BS), it's impossible for him to be racist, so he can only be prejudiced.

The schools really do people disservice these days, teaching agenda dribble.

Back
Top Bottom