• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should we put Martin Luther King Jr. on our currency?

• Total voters
Maybe on the day we actually realize his dream.

Though in general I would say no. I know we've put some other folk on our currency from time to time; but I'd keep it Presidents. Maybe Bruce Campbell.

Bruce Campbell, still living and thus cannot be on currency.

I voted no. I don't think he'd want to be on US currency, or any currency for that matter.

Personally, I think Martin Luther King Jr. was a hero.

He fought for racial equality. For man to be judged not by the color of his skin, but by the contest of his character. He changed the way things were done in America. There is still some racism out there, but as a whole, America is more racially integrated now in various social settings.

Before I am to officially decide on a position on this (whether it's for the currency or special edition), I'd first want to know exactly what specific criteria it is that would add him on currency - and also what other forms of currency to put him on? As in, we likely wouldn't be replacing any of the other ones on there.

We mostly have U.S. Presidents, a Secretary of the Treasury, and Benjamin Franklin who was the President of Pennsylvania (before they had Governors), Minister (what they then-called Ambassadors) to different countries at different times, and Postmaster General - his appointments were by the Continental Congress.

So, while Martin Luther King Jr. held no official position like that, he nonetheless was an advocate for racial equality. And interesting little trivia, there was a song by Dion and the Belmots, called "Abraham, Martin, and John". So while he's a prominent historical member, what way could the specific critiera be for putting him on there?

Again, I'm not opposing such an idea, just wanting to know more.

Hmmm, I voted No because I thought only Dead Presidents and Founding Fathers (Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton) were on currency. Then I remembered Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea were on coins.

So I'd vote yes, but only for commemorative or special edition coins and or paper currency.

[QUOTE=Tothian;1062259614]Personally, I think Martin Luther King Jr. was a hero.

He fought for racial equality. For man to be judged not by the color of his skin, but by the contest of his character. He changed the way things were done in America. There is still some racism out there, but as a whole,
America is more racially integrated now in various social settings.

Before I am to officially decide on a position on this (whether it's for the currency or special edition), I'd first want to know exactly what specific criteria it is that would add him on currency - and also what other forms of currency to put him on? As in, we likely wouldn't be replacing any of the other ones on there.

We mostly have U.S. Presidents, a Secretary of the Treasury, and Benjamin Franklin who was the President of Pennsylvania (before they had Governors), Minister (what they then-called Ambassadors) to different countries at different times, and Postmaster General - his appointments were by the Continental Congress.

So, while Martin Luther King Jr. held no official position like that, he nonetheless was an advocate for racial equality. And interesting little trivia, there was a song by Dion and the Belmots, called "Abraham, Martin, and John". So while he's a prominent historical member, what way could the specific critiera be for putting him on there?

Again, I'm not opposing such an idea, just wanting to know more.[/QUOTE]

some people ignore this fact and just remember the slavery

because it was abolished in 19th century

:lol:

they act as if nothing happened after the abolition of slavery but the facts dont change

Yes but only for regular circulated coins and or paper currency.

Yes but only for commemorative or special edition coins and or paper currency.

Both of the above

No

I say yes but for regular circulated coins or paper currency.Because I think it should be something that regular people will use not something that only collectors will have their hands on. I think maybe a dime or twenty dollar bill.

No. Martin Luther King Jr. might have inspired lots of people but he wasn't near as "great" as many people claim. Much of the hype of MLK imo is just an over romanticised rose colored view. The man was a great speaker but he did not get equal rights by himself.

IMO the only people that should be on our currancy are the Founders. (yes, that means I oppose some of the presidents that are currently on our currancy) And then only because they DID create this country. Everyone else needs to go away and be memorized in other ways.

Yeah that would be rather inconvenient. I don't want to start rummaging around my purse for coins so I can pay someone $22. Paper money is easy to get, and it stays where it's at.

(alot lighter than coins too!)

So because you don't like him and what he stood for he doesn't deserve to be remembered on a coin/ bill. Seems about right.

:shrug: No different than those that like him wanting him to be "remembered on a coin/bill". Not liking him is just as valid a reason as liking him for not wanting/wanting him on a coin/bill.

Or are you trying to suggest something without straight out saying it?

:shrug: No different than those that like him wanting him to be "remembered on a coin/bill". Not liking him is just as valid a reason as liking him for not wanting/wanting him on a coin/bill.

Or are you trying to suggest something without straight out saying it?

I have no preference whether or not Martin Luther King is on any type of currency. At the same time I'm not projecting hatred upon a man for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom