• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should we just give the Russians the parts of western Europe once owned by the USSR

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump wants us to get out of NATO. I do not know if this is because he feels they did not treat him as he thought they ought to as the president, or if he is doing so to make himself look good to Putin. Either way, if we leave NATO it will certainly embolden Putin and Russia to start to take back those countries once under the thumb of the USSR. So so we do anything to stop the Russian's by remaining in NATO and keeping that organization too strong for Russia to fool with, or just return all of our military to our shores and hope that nothing happens once we are out of NATO?

Trump wants us to get out of NATO. I do not know if this is because he feels they did not treat him as he thought they ought to as the president, or if he is doing so to make himself look good to Putin. Either way, if we leave NATO it will certainly embolden Putin and Russia to start to take back those countries once under the thumb of the USSR. So so we do anything to stop the Russian's by remaining in NATO and keeping that organization too strong for Russia to fool with, or just return all of our military to our shores and hope that nothing happens once we are out of NATO?

Nsto's problem is they are only serous about being a wall against russia as long as america pays for it. The nato general even backed trump by claiming that nato was not paying their share in defense, countries now like germany the richest in europe are the least capable in europe, germany is in such bad shape somalia with no active govt could probably not only invade them but win. It is a sad state when a country like germany has less battle ready gear than bulgaria, both the poorest in the eu and europe as well as the poorest in nato, when the poorest nation in europe is vastly better equipped than the richest nation in europe there is a major problem in nato.

Britain greece poland and a few others actually meet the 2% gdp requirement, while the richest in europe germany barely even has a military to speak of, their ships are mostly docked as welll as subs, their aircraft unflyable, and they seem to have no care to spend the money to remain nato compliant, if you look at trumps gripes most of them are directed at germany, who expects us to protect them so they can spend their money on social programs instead of defense rather than countries like poland who not only feel threatened by russia but upped their defense spending to match the threat they felt.

In my cynical view, the main reason NATO exists is to channel arms spending.

Between military aid, direct sales, and spending to maintain bases, there's far to much money sloshing to even consider significant changes.

If anything, absent a real threat (not Russia, not even Russia+China as they stand today short WMDs) I'd expect continued expansion of NATO, as new nations represent new markets to flood with weaponry.

First of all, I don't think Trump wants to get out of NATO. But, what makes you think we need to be in NATO to ensure that Russia doesn't take back any countries?

Obama apparently thought so.

Im confused how this has anything to do with us. Why should our citizens be put in harms way to protect Europe from Russia? They can protect themselves.

Allies...

Allies that have not met their responsibilities under the existing agreement, many of who did not back us after 9/11, and who routinely do not back us in our interests globally. "Allies"

Trump did not start railing against NATO until Paul Manafort came around.

Figure that one out for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom