• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

should we judge people by their bank accounts?

narrowroad

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
As stated in another post, some poor and/or homeless people are more law abiding than the seemingly "civilized" people who have $$$

A lot of rich people do horrible things but society tends to instead look down upon the ones who have nothing, as if it is all their own fault they have nothing. Believe me, it is NOT. There are hundreds of factors involved in why a given person is homeless or destitute. Over 2/3 of women who are homeless are homeless due to domestic violence. And of course some of those women have children. They are simply trying to stay safe or maybe even stay alive.

a list of crooked rich people would be very long

Jeffrey Epstein
Anthony Wiener
that Durst guy who killed several people

most politicians in DC?

:doh

Thread Title said:
should we judge people by their bank accounts?

That's what your favorite President does.

Some rich people are bad and some are good. Some poor people are bad and some are good.

Is that news?

Some rich people are bad and some are good. Some poor people are bad and some are good.

Is that news?

The problem is that culturally, we have come to think of poverty as a moral failure, and to worship wealth as a marker of virtue, worth, and honor. The truth is that there are a lot of very good, virtuous, honorable, respectable, hard-working, knowledgeable poor people around; and a lot of very cheap, low-class, dishonorable, lazy, ignorant, and stupid wealthy people around. Life is complicated, and there are a lot of contingent factors other than character and work ethic that go into whether someone has a big bank account or not. I worry that we are losing track of that as a culture, and judging people just on the number in their bank account.

As stated in another post, some poor and/or homeless people are more law abiding than the seemingly "civilized" people who have $$$

A lot of rich people do horrible things but society tends to instead look down upon the ones who have nothing, as if it is all their own fault they have nothing. Believe me, it is NOT. There are hundreds of factors involved in why a given person is homeless or destitute. Over 2/3 of women who are homeless are homeless due to domestic violence. And of course some of those women have children. They are simply trying to stay safe or maybe even stay alive.

a list of crooked rich people would be very long

Jeffrey Epstein
Anthony Wiener
that Durst guy who killed several people

most politicians in DC?

:doh

Under free market Capitalism or capitalism subject to the social-ism of Government?

The problem is that culturally, we have come to think of poverty as a moral failure, and to worship wealth as a marker of virtue, worth, and honor. The truth is that there are a lot of very good, virtuous, honorable, respectable, hard-working, knowledgeable poor people around; and a lot of very cheap, low-class, dishonorable, lazy, ignorant, and stupid wealthy people around. Life is complicated, and there are a lot of contingent factors other than character and work ethic that go into whether someone has a big bank account or not. I worry that we are losing track of that as a culture, and judging people just on the number in their bank account.

There a big segment of america that sees wealth as a moral failure as well and are hell bent on punishing the successful to reward the less so. There is nothing inherently wrong with being poor but there likewise is nothing inherently wrong with being wealthy.

There a big segment of america that sees wealth as a moral failure as well and are hell bent on punishing the successful to reward the less so. There is nothing inherently wrong with being poor but there likewise is nothing inherently wrong with being wealthy.

No, the idea that poverty is a moral failure, and wealth is a sure marker of character, work ethic, and intelligence, is a bedrock of the modern conservative mindset and platform.

If you disagree, what are your thoughts on this conservative commentator?

Poverty & Morality: A Conservative Examination | National Review

In response to the title question, I offer the following counter-question.

Are there any save-a-soul missions in Short Hills?

Regards.

No, the idea that poverty is a moral failure, and wealth is a sure marker of character, work ethic, and intelligence, is a bedrock of the modern conservative mindset and platform.

If you disagree, what are your thoughts on this conservative commentator?

Poverty & Morality: A Conservative Examination | National Review

Since you refuse to acknowledge that the other side of that same coin even exists, I will not be reading your link or commenting upon it as this is not an issue I see discussing with some one who is selectively closed-minded on the topic.

Since you refuse to acknowledge that the other side of that same coin even exists, I will not be reading your link or commenting upon it as this is not an issue I see discussing with some one who is selectively closed-minded on the topic.

No, I acknowledge the other side of the argument. And it's wrong, I agree.

So what say you now?

That's what your favorite President does.

as per usual, no facts to back that up

I know the facts so you can't fool me. His tax cuts for example were for everyone, NOT just the rich. And wages have gone up for the poor or low income workers, NOT supervisors and etc...

I could go on and on but once TDS sets in.. looks a little hopeless to me

well said

you should have written the OP instead of yours truly

laugh

but yeh, we are losing our moral compass. In the old days, the good old days.. some people were w/o morals but most tried to live up to Christian principles or Judeo-Christian, that is.

Today.. it's like anarchy, morally speaking..

I really am afraid for our country because of THAT

the economy will probably survive no matter who gets elected.. I mean, we survived O didn't we? or did we?

ok, scratch that.. depends on your definition of "survived" Now that I think about it.. we didn't... (long story what I mean)

anyhow.. where was I? Oh, I know where I was.. I was going to add a few more names to the list of bad rich people.. I think it is good to remind people that it really is NOT the economy (and $$) Stupid...

adding to the list of nefarious rich people:

OJ Simpson
that Dem guy in CA. 2 young men died in his house of drug OD. Some say it was deliberate (murder). Whatever happened w/ that story? But it didn't look good..
JFK (sleeping w/ anything that wore a skirt. He may have repented right b4 he died.. looks like it but God knows)
LBJ (who was a racist and only pandered to the blacks to get votes.. probably shouldn't put him here w/ murderers but.. whatever)
Kermit Gosnell, abortionist (abortionists, I have heard, make more $$ than any kind of doctor except brain surgeons). This guy killed children who survived abortion. He is in prison, thank God

I know I am forgetting many names here but I will think of them in time..

Last edited:

Is that news?

Nope. What's news is how politicians can now be blatantly dishonest, even to their own base, and their base will still love them. Trump is obviously the best example of this.

Nope. What's news is how politicians can now be blatantly dishonest, even to their own base, and their base will still love them. Trump is obviously the best example of this.

I love Trump for many reasons

I'd tell u the reasons but you wouldn't listen so I will move on... however, If I thought Trump was "blatantly dishonest" I would not back him.. Too bad you have to insult half of America, treating them like a bunch of mindless zombies who can't think and don't care such things as honesty but I guess you have a dishonest candidate to elect

the economy will probably survive no matter who gets elected.. I mean, we survived O didn't we? or did we?

ok, scratch that.. depends on your definition of "survived" Now that I think about it.. we didn't... (long story what I mean)

Dang, Obama takes over when the economy is on the brink of disaster, turns the ship around, and has steady record breaking growth, and this is the love he gets? Tough being black in the good ol' USA eh.

Dang, Obama takes over when the economy is on the brink of disaster, turns the ship around, and has steady record breaking growth, and this is the love he gets? Tough being black in the good ol' USA eh.

geez, where do u get your news?

oh, that's right.. Pee Wee Herman

okay, I get it

Back
Top Bottom