• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should we give gays full rights.

democrat17

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
i think we should, it is very important that all people should be able to be free. What do think?

As if 'rights' somehow constitute freedom. It is not the task of the government to dictate or enforce equality. If you are being discriminated by a corporation because they are not hiring you because you are of african-american descent, are a homosexual, or simply have bad breath, go public, and see if society cares. If they will, they'll boycot the corporation, and nothing like that will ever happen again.

It's a risk, granted, but than, is that not what life is all about? Without conflict, we remain half-developed, wondering whether there is not something out there willing to die for.

Mr U

Hmmmm

What about Polygamy then ?

And also that woman who was arrested for marrying a 15 year old earlier this week ?

Shouldn't they be free ?

As if 'rights' somehow constitute freedom. It is not the task of the government to dictate or enforce equality. If you are being discriminated by a corporation because they are not hiring you because you are of african-american descent, are a homosexual, or simply have bad breath, go public, and see if society cares. If they will, they'll boycot the corporation, and nothing like that will ever happen again.

Yeah okay thats not going to happen. Nobody is going to stop being consumers to a corporation simply because the gay guy yells 'they didn't hire me cause I'm gay'.

Assuming people actually did that, then yeah it would work. But they won't.

Mike 1967 said:
Hmmmm

What about Polygamy then ?

What's wrong with polygamy? If it is a financially viable option, why not? In fact, if one of the three (supposing there are just three :p)takes care of the kids, and the other two work, this might actually be a great option to ensure the proper education of children.

And also that woman who was arrested for marrying a 15 year old earlier this week ?

Shouldn't they be free ?

If the parents of the 15 year old agree, than it should be allowed. The age barrier now lies at 18. The age is debatable.

Hmm.. You won't catch me defending morality. I believe in responsibility. The material property (I haven't made my mind up about intellectual property yet) and the safety of each individual should be enforced by the government. That, and perhaps some minor things, like taking care of the roads and such. They should not, however, be a moral-enforcing institute.

Mr U

HU-210 said:
What's wrong with polygamy? If it is a financially viable option, why not? In fact, if one of the three (supposing there are just three :p)takes care of the kids, and the other two work, this might actually be a great option to ensure the proper education of children.

If the parents of the 15 year old agree, than it should be allowed. The age barrier now lies at 18. The age is debatable.

Hmm.. You won't catch me defending morality. I believe in responsibility. The material property (I haven't made my mind up about intellectual property yet) and the safety of each individual should be enforced by the government. That, and perhaps some minor things, like taking care of the roads and such. They should not, however, be a moral-enforcing institute.

Mr U

AMEN! PRAISE THE LORD! PRAISE JEEEEEEEAAAASUS!
Just kidding....

No, seriously though, Mr. Hu has a point that I agree with.
I don't feel it is the duty or responsibility of the government to enforce morals.
Especially in the case of marriage, since they are also supposed to be seperated from church, they should not base the legally accepted view of marriage on that defined in the context of biblical scriptures.

As far as I'm concerned, not giving gays full rights is on the same level as discriminating against any other person because of gender, race or religion. According to my morals this is blatantly wrong, but then again, I can't force my values onto you.

Back
Top Bottom