• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should we allow heterosexual marriage?

Urethra Franklin said:
So many hetty relationships end in divorce.
So many hettys cheat on their partners (look at Clinton).
So many cases of child abuse within 'families' are reported. It's believed that 90% of paedophiles are heterosexual.
Heterosexuals are clearly the most unstable group of people.
Surely we can't let them continue?

This is the most absurd discussion possible.
Why is anyone taking this nonsense seriously?

:screwy

Strangelove said:
This is the most absurd discussion possible.
Why is anyone taking this nonsense seriously?

:screwy

Irony dear boy.
Like most United Statesians, it's utterly beyond you.

I LOVE IT! you guys have gotten off the original topic but yeah! I'm so glad to see you pose the same questions aimed at homosexuals to the heterosexuals who already have the right to marry. Funny how all sexual orientations have skeletons in their closet.....huh?
As far as this being an absurd debate. Why not when anybody else abuses our legal system we question it. Marriage is not taken seriously many times by heterosexuals. Yet they reap the benefits of it? hmmmmm

shuamort said:
I think that there'd be a lot of problems with any studies that based criminal/mental health behaviors and activities based on sexuality.
A couple reasons:
1)Except for in cases of sexual crimes (rape, molestation et al), sexuality is not noted as it is not germane.
2)Due to the "closet" as it were, statistics could be skewed.
3)Since sexuality isn't binary, it'd be a hard one to completely suss out. There are people that have slight bisexual leanings or are full-on bisexual.
4)We'd have to find correlation between the crime and the person's sexuality.

1)Well for this study we could do that.
2)But maybe not. Would it kill you to try?
3)Switch hitters could be a third category if necessary.
4)Why?
Did the person commit a crime? What crime? Sexual orientation? Next!

There are a million ways to correlate the data. Height, Race,Geographic location, education, etc. Gather it all and see what you can see.

Sorry I'm jumping into this so late. I'm new here, so sorry! :2wave:

As an openly gay male, of course I support gay marriage. I'm not an activist for it, however, my activism is for the women's rights and pro choice movements. But what I don't understand is, why is it that heterosexuals, who shouldn't have to worry about being gay, want to take away our rights to marry, to be with our partners when they are in the hospital, etc. I don't care what the Bible, or what Allah says about homosexuality, that's no excuse to deny someone equal rights. Against gay marriage? By all means, don't have one! :roll:

-A Dawg

A Dawg86 said:
Sorry I'm jumping into this so late. I'm new here, so sorry! :2wave:

As an openly gay male, of course I support gay marriage. I'm not an activist for it, however, my activism is for the women's rights and pro choice movements. But what I don't understand is, why is it that heterosexuals, who shouldn't have to worry about being gay, want to take away our rights to marry, to be with our partners when they are in the hospital, etc. I don't care what the Bible, or what Allah says about homosexuality, that's no excuse to deny someone equal rights. Against gay marriage? By all means, don't have one! :roll:

-A Dawg

Welcome to Debate Politics.

I agree.

It's a pleasure to meet me too! :lol:

Haha thanks, I'm somewhat socially conservative when it comes to homosexuality, because I'm not the rainbow-loving overly flaming type, though I come with some feminine traits :shock:

Not every gay person is as I described above. The media is pretty repsonsible for making us look like we're out to destroy all the heterosexuals (HEY! We could be the "Pink Panthers!"). We just ask for the same rights as others. Though it's not a considering factor when I vote (mostly church/state separation,women's rights, choice, health care, education, etc. And also the character of the candidate.)

I looooooooooove how Pat Robertson, Fat Jerry Falwell, Focus on the Family and FRC all accuse us of "indoctrinating children into the homosexual lifestyle". :rofl What LIFESTYLE? We're recruiting children?

To me, if you haven't been there, or experienced what we have been through, you have no right to judge us. Not all gays are drama queen Fab 5's.

Sorry, my rant of the day. :)

-A Dawg

A Dawg86 said:
It's a pleasure to meet me too! :lol:

Haha thanks, I'm somewhat socially conservative when it comes to homosexuality, because I'm not the rainbow-loving overly flaming type, though I come with some feminine traits :shock:

Not every gay person is as I described above. The media is pretty repsonsible for making us look like we're out to destroy all the heterosexuals (HEY! We could be the "Pink Panthers!"). We just ask for the same rights as others. Though it's not a considering factor when I vote (mostly church/state separation,women's rights, choice, health care, education, etc. And also the character of the candidate.)

I looooooooooove how Pat Robertson, Fat Jerry Falwell, Focus on the Family and FRC all accuse us of "indoctrinating children into the homosexual lifestyle". :rofl What LIFESTYLE? We're recruiting children?

To me, if you haven't been there, or experienced what we have been through, you have no right to judge us. Not all gays are drama queen Fab 5's.

Sorry, my rant of the day. :)

-A Dawg

Welcome to Debate Politics A Dawg from the UK!

I'm not gay personally, but I have gay friend, he is as masculine as a straight guy, and he beats me in arm wrestling lol bah!

The homosexual stereotype is the same as almost every sterotype.
Jews love money.
Asians are good at Maths.
Mexicans sleep.
Brits have bad teeth.
Americans are fat. etc.

It's our flaw as a race to be scared of what is unfamilar.

I'm 100% totally for Gay Marriage. Keep on trucking as Americans say.

That's tooooooo funny Garza. Wow I feel so welcome! I didn't get too warm of reception from the Repubs though I'm sure. I'm very blunt, outspoken, and I have no problem with spitting out anything I have to say.

Heterosexual people are NATURAL! That is how we were made to be. SO what if we get divorces. BIG DEAL. That is NOT the reason why gays cant get married. its because its NOT natural and its NOT right!

Courtneyx3 said:
Heterosexual people are NATURAL! That is how we were made to be. SO what if we get divorces. BIG DEAL. That is NOT the reason why gays cant get married. its because its NOT natural and its NOT right!

Babes, if you're natural I'm so glad I'm not! :thumbdown

Courtneyx3 said:
Heterosexual people are NATURAL! That is how we were made to be.

FOR YOU

Courtneyx3 said:
SO what if we get divorces. BIG DEAL.

Well, that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Although you offer no rational thought whatsoever. If you hadn't noticed, the argument which state gays would only "ruin marriage" or in some way "threaten" it are what ignites the retort that heterosexuals are doing a fine job of ruining marriage all on their own. With divorce rates at over 50%, allowing gays to enter into the same legal contract would in fact do NO harm, but rather might very well save an already dieing dinosaur.

Courtneyx3 said:
That is NOT the reason why gays cant get married. its because its NOT natural and its NOT right!

Really? So, the ONLY reason why we outlaw something is because of it's being unnatural?
So, explain why you're arguing this on a COMPUTER!
Do you wear shoes, drive a car, fly in airplanes, write or read?
Guess what? NONE of those daily functions are what anyone arguing "naturals" would do.
So, my advise for you is to get off your high horse, realize you are not the sole owner and opperator of the Earth and just deal with reality for a change.

JustineCredible said:
FOR YOU

Well, that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Although you offer no rational thought whatsoever. If you hadn't noticed, the argument which state gays would only "ruin marriage" or in some way "threaten" it are what ignites the retort that heterosexuals are doing a fine job of ruining marriage all on their own. With divorce rates at over 50%, allowing gays to enter into the same legal contract would in fact do NO harm, but rather might very well save an already dieing dinosaur.

Okay well that is not the reason why I do not like gays. I don't really care if it would "add" more divorce. Cause quite frankly a lot of "straight" people get divorces too.

Really? So, the ONLY reason why we outlaw something is because of it's being unnatural? YES

So, explain why you're arguing this on a COMPUTER! BECAUSE I WANT TO

Do you wear shoes, drive a car, fly in airplanes, write or read?
Guess what? NONE of those daily functions are what anyone arguing "naturals" would do. - Its the way of life

So, my advise for you is to get off your high horse, realize you are not the sole owner and opperator of the Earth and just deal with reality for a change.
-I dont that, i just think gays should get over themselves and stop causing trouble and just be happy that your even ALLOWED to be gay!

Courtneyx3 said:
-I dont that, i just think gays should get over themselves and stop causing trouble and just be happy that your even ALLOWED to be gay!

You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place, little lady" To women when they were fighting for YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE!
You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place, BOY" To the blacks when they were fighting just to be made legally 100% HUMAN!
You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place.." To the Lovings when all they wanted to do was get married. (BTW the Lovings were the interracial couple that initiated the Supreme Court case, Loving vs. Virginia, which challenged and CHANGED laws against interracial marriage.)

No, darling child, I will not settle for second class citizenship, nor should I have to, not by you or anyone else's idea. This is MY country, I was born here, I vote here, I served for it's freedoms...and your's. So if anything, you should be thanking me for upholding and protecting YOUR FREEDOM to disagree with me!

JustineCredible said:
You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place, little lady" To women when they were fighting for YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE!
You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place, BOY" To the blacks when they were fighting just to be made legally 100% HUMAN!
You sound just like those who used to say: "You should know your place.." To the Lovings when all they wanted to do was get married. (BTW the Lovings were the interracial couple that initiated the Supreme Court case, Loving vs. Virginia, which challenged and CHANGED laws against interracial marriage.)

No, darling child, I will not settle for second class citizenship, nor should I have to, not by you or anyone else's idea. This is MY country, I was born here, I vote here, I served for it's freedoms...and your's. So if anything, you should be thanking me for upholding and protecting YOUR FREEDOM to disagree with me!

No I was born here too and I have just enough rights to say what I want and for you to thank me to for protecting YOUR right to even speak about being homosexual. Its the same arguement either way!

Courtneyx3 said:
No I was born here too and I have just enough rights to say what I want and for you to thank me to for protecting YOUR right to even speak about being homosexual. Its the same arguement either way!

Did you serve? Have you ever vowed to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic? Unless you have, I owe you no "thank you."

Yes, you most certainly do have the right to say what you think. But you do not have the right to attempt to restrict MY rights in any way.

That's what Freedom is all about.

A marriage is only as good as the people entering into it, be them gay or straight.

Courtneyx3 said:

I think if straights stopped "causing trouble" and just gave gays their rights (marriage, adoption, anti-discriminiation legislation, and end to workplace bullying and queerbashing), then you might just get the nice, quiet silent gay community you desire. Until then, they have every right to be vocal in a free society, and I'm right behind them. Sadly, people like you who would deny people they disgree with a voice, demonstrate to what extent the USA is not a free country.
In fact, why don't you just shut up and be grateful you're even ALLOWED to be straight?

Back
Top Bottom