• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should We Accommodate Immigrants?

Should We Accommodate Immigrants?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Screw Them! This is America, not Mexico!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

John Liberty

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Should we accommodate immigrants? I ask this because I see so many multilingual signs. Also Spanish is a mandatory subject in public schools. Even my delivery boxes and product instructions are multilingual. What do you think?

I voted No. I think that if they come to America that they need to learn to speak American. If you go to other countries (most) of them don't have multilingual signs in American. We have to learn basic words when we want to vacation in Europe or Asia.

Last edited:
Yes, in places where there are many of them it saves hassles for everyone. It is a lie that anyone refuses to learn English. Also, its good for tourism.

Speak American? Are you a Libertarian cartoon?

We've been accommodating them for decades. Your question would've made more sense if you would've asked: "Should we stop accommodating immigrants?"

I personally feel it is in mans best interest to devise a new simple and straight forward language that is taught to children globally so that the next generation can share a universal language.

As far as accommodating immigrants, many businesses have found that it is a simple and inexpensive way to accommodate customers and it is in their best interest to do so. However I do think it has the downside of removing some of the motivation for immigrants to assimilate.

By god I hate the American language, I wish it never existed.

I much prefer the English language.

That said, in the US you have free speech which allows for people and business to use which ever language they want. It may or may not be good for their business

Should we accommodate immigrants? I ask this because I see so many multilingual signs. Also Spanish is a mandatory subject in public schools. Even my delivery boxes and product instructions are multilingual. What do you think?

I voted No. I think that if they come to America that they need to learn to speak American. If you go to other countries (most) of them don't have multilingual signs in American. We have to learn basic words when we want to vacation in Europe or Asia.

I'm against changing society for immigrants. I'm an American immigrant in Germany right now, so I learned the German language, and haven't expected the Germans to bend to me.

Immigration is a good thing, but you need to learn your host nation's language.

Before the 1965 Immigration Reform Act, America's immigration policies were always what was best for America not what's best for the immigrant.

Today our immigration policies are not enforcing our immigration policies and you have those pushing for immigration reform with a new policy of what's best for the immigrant not what is best for America.

When in Rome...

Speak American? Are you a Libertarian cartoon?

Like it or not "American" has become a language. Americans have distanced themselves from the English language, changing many words' meanings and embracing new words. American is also full of slang. To put it into simpler terms, American and English have developed a similar lingual relationship as Italian and Latin. Italian and Latin have a lot of common words, but they are still two different languages each with their own unique words and definitions.

I agree ... since the English learned to speak the languages of the people living here when they arrived, so should today's immigrants ...

Firstly, its "English" not American.
Secondly, yes many other countries do have signs in both English and the native language
Lastly, stop complaining that you have to learn in school. Regardless of whether Spainish is or is not a dominate language among most immigrants does not take away from the value of learning a second language.

Hell your schools make Spainish mandatory? Good, next we should expand on that and have language mandatory throughout school from elementary to high school and offer mutliple options beyond Spainish.

Sorry buddy I have no tolerance for people who complain that our schools teach their students something valueable.

Secondly, yes many other countries do have signs in both English and the native language
Lastly, stop complaining that you have to learn in school. Regardless of whether Spainish is or is not a dominate language among most immigrants does not take away from the value of learning a second language.

Hell your schools make Spainish mandatory? Good, next we should expand on that and have language mandatory throughout school from elementary to high school and offer mutliple options beyond Spainish.

Sorry buddy I have no tolerance for people who complain that our schools teach their students something valueable.

1.) See my earlier post: Like it or not "American" has become a language. Americans have distanced themselves from the English language, changing many words' meanings and embracing new words. American is also full of slang. To put it into simpler terms, American and English have developed a similar lingual relationship as Italian and Latin. Italian and Latin have a lot of common words, but they are still two different languages each with their own unique words and definitions.

2). I have no problem with schools teaching other languages, granted it needs some reform because students still can't speak basic Spanish, however I have no problem with it. It was simply another example of our country reforming things to accommodate immigrants. Schools should make languages mandatory, but maybe give them a bit more of a choice on what language they would like to learn? Perhaps if they were learning they language they wanted to speak, they might work harder at it. Just an idea.

Like spelling perhaps?

There is a difference between American English and British English. Interestingly, you're using "firstly," etc. rather than "first," etc., which some argue is British (incorrectly, I believe: "Firstly" is not listed in Dr. Johnson's Dictionary).

Firstly dates back to the 1500's in English, and like lastly, is archaic and rarely seen in everyday usage in England today.

If "English" and "American" are two separate languages that would mean you're bilingual, does anyone feel they can say they speak two languages because they know that in London an apartment is called a flat and an elevator is called a lift?

Give me a break, a few differences in spelling, definitions, and pronunciation does not make it a separate language. No more than "Southern" is its own language.

In the name of political correctness, I had your post translated from English to Ebonics for those who were drinking beer and smoking dope instead of sitting in the classroom.

<" Yo Firstly, its "cracker ass english" not American. Secondly, yeea many other countries do gots signs in bof cracker ass english an' da native language Lastly, stop complaining dat you gots ta learn in skoo. Regardless o' whether Spainish iz or iz not uh dominate language among most immigrants do not take away from da value o' learning uh second language. Hell yo' schools make Spainish mandatory? pimp-tight, next we's should expand on dat an' gots language mandatory throughout skoo from elementary ta high skoo an' offer mutliple options beyond Spainish. Sorry buddy ah gots nahh tolerance fo' niggas who complain dat our schools teach they students somethin` valueable you know das right! ">

Ebonics Translator - Translate English into Ebonics with the Pimp Translator

In the name of political correctness, I had your post translated from English to Ebonics for those who were drinking beer and smoking dope instead of sitting in the classroom.

<" Yo Firstly, its "cracker ass english" not American. Secondly, yeea many other countries do gots signs in bof cracker ass english an' da native language Lastly, stop complaining dat you gots ta learn in skoo. Regardless o' whether Spainish iz or iz not uh dominate language among most immigrants do not take away from da value o' learning uh second language. Hell yo' schools make Spainish mandatory? pimp-tight, next we's should expand on dat an' gots language mandatory throughout skoo from elementary ta high skoo an' offer mutliple options beyond Spainish. Sorry buddy ah gots nahh tolerance fo' niggas who complain dat our schools teach they students somethin` valueable you know das right! ">

Ebonics Translator - Translate English into Ebonics with the Pimp Translator

If you refuse to educate yourself because you think knowledge is "politically correct" that's fine, but don't rob other people of the chance to learn something while you're at it.

Operative words being English and language.

There is no american language

His own source contradicts him:

British English (BrE) is the form of English used in the United Kingdom. It includes all English dialects used in the United Kingdom.
American English (AmE) is the form of English used in the United States. It includes all English dialects used in the United States.

Clearly calls them dialects and forms of English, ie the same language.

If you refuse to educate yourself because you think knowledge is "politically correct" that's fine, but don't rob other people of the chance to learn something while you're at it.

The two most important languages to be fluent in are English and French. If you know these two languages you can go to almost any where in the world and get by.

English is the language of aviation, maritime and trade. Listen to an airport control tower in Tokyo, Moscow or Paris, they are speaking in English on the radios.

Call almost any manufacture in China and when the receptionist answerers the phone, start speaking in English and she will start speaking in English.

Go to Tijuana and you'll find more Mexicans who speak English than you will in Los Angeles. In fact you'll hear more English being spoken in TJ than in L.A.

Back
Top Bottom