• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Voting be Mandatory

Shouold voting be mandatory?

• Yes, Voting should be mandatory.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No, voting shoudl not be mandatory.

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • I have no opinion on the subject.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In some countries it is mandatory to vote during elections in other countries this is not the case.

My believe is that it should be mandatory to vote. While voting, you will have the option that you do not want to vote, but at least you have taken the effort. After all there may simply not be a party you would consider worth your support. This way the turnout will obviously be much higher, and, more importantly, the actual votes collected also better represent what the general consensus is of the people in the country.

The choices are

- Yes, voting should be mandatory.
- No, voting should not be mandatory.
- I have no opinion on the subject.

An obvious question for the DebateForum moderators/administrator is of course whether it is possible or not to make voting for polls mandatory as well. Could this be done by sending all members an email to which they need to respond?

All my polls will be hidden from the public in order to avoid a biased response. If people want their opinion to be public they have the choice to announce this with a reply in the thread.

Joey
I'm for mandatory voting, but would have a ballot exception allowing one to vote "none of the above", if they so desire.

Why mandatory? Because the lower the general voter turnout, the higher the weighting for special & minority interests.

I saw these negative aspects in local electioneering I used to do in my old big-city neighborhood.

I'm for mandatory voting, but would have a ballot exception allowing one to vote "none of the above", if they so desire.

Why mandatory? Because the lower the general voter turnout, the higher the weighting for special & minority interests.

I saw these negative aspects in local electioneering I used to do in my old big-city neighborhood.

Hi Chomsky,

I go with you here. Education, race, age, sex and wealth are all considerable factors for voter turnout.

However, while watching the many responses yesterday in this thread I can see that an often mentioned item is that people do not want the less educated people to vote in the first place. The way it presently is in most countries, you maintain democracy. The danger of saying that you do not want certain groups of people to vote is of course that you are undermining the basic principle of democracy. The right to vote. I do not want to go into specifics of what the constitution says because that varies from country to country.

I can see one big downside of mandatory voting myself though. What about people who are incapacitated in some way or an other. People that have down syndrome or a mental disorder. or criminals. Now we would surely need to make some exceptions when making voting mandatory, but the government deciding who can and who can not vote sounds like a very dangerous thing to do to me.

So the dilemma is as follows. Democracy is so that all people can vote in order to choose a government. At present there is a large group in our society who is not very well being presented during elections and this by default means that a small group is making decisions for a large group. (and here I am talking voters only). Now that is not very democratic although you could claim that this misrepresented group has chosen for this themselves. Changing this into a system where all people have to vote will surely be challenging and will require to exempt some groups from voting. And this process is probably undermining democracy even more.

For now, even with those challenges, I am still in favour of mandatory voting though. to address exactly those issues that you pointed out earlier.

Joey

Absolutely not... in fact, I think a test should be required to show sufficient knowledge before voting on a subject.

Hi Bodhisattva,

I, myself, can think of a few people I would not necessarily want to vote, but by doing this, democracy is out of the windows immediately. Not a judgement, merely an observation.

Joey

Hi Bodhisattva,

I, myself, can think of a few people I would not necessarily want to vote, but by doing this, democracy is out of the windows immediately. Not a judgement, merely an observation.

Joey

I think that a happy medium can be achieved. Testing on particular subjects means that one only need to be knowledgeable on the issue. Democracy is meaningless if people "just vote because they can" and are not informed on what they are voting for.

Hi Bodhisattva,

Joey

I think that a happy medium can be achieved. Testing on particular subjects means that one only need to be knowledgeable on the issue. Democracy is meaningless if people "just vote because they can" and are not informed on what they are voting for.

No one (or few people) are prevented from voting. What upset people is once early voting began the GOP leadership in power happen to notice a huge voter turnout in high density black areas was Sunday. Specifically, it turned out, a tradition was developing where after Church black congregations would fill up the church buses and rake parishioners to the libraries to vote. The GOP government in power then decided, "Oh no, we need to get 'spending' under control...sure, that's the ticket! Early voting is cancelled on Sundays after church." This, in a state where the White House was determined by just 500 votes in 2000. Fla. Republican: We wanted to suppress black votes - Salon.com

Then in Ohio, the hours early voting was allowed in predominantly black neighborhoods closed by several hours shorter than the hours allowed in predominantly white republican neighborhoods. Ohio GOP Admits Early Voting Cutbacks Are Racially Motivated | The Nation

As you say, they werent prevented from voting.

What? At no point during any of this did you actually answer my question. You made the bold statement that streamlining the registration process was sleazy and would "legitimize those in charge". I guess the people in charge would be a bit more legitimate because there would be MORE voters electing them instead of less.

I don't know, it's just a feeling.
It doesn't seem right and it's hard for me to articulate the "why" of the feeling.

I can't possibly fathom why you'd be opposed to a high voter turnout. Oh... You're not a GOP voter are you? That would explain it for sure. Those kids are always interested in making it as hard as possible to vote, because when the people don't get out and be part of the political process, it's easy for the angry old white men to swing the vote.

Dude, I don't vote, for anyone, ever.

I do disagree with high voter turn out, just because.
I mean, I don't want someone voting GOP because they're registered and their daddy said to always vote repubs, same goes for anyone else.
It's dumb and does a disservice to everyone.

In some countries it is mandatory to vote during elections in other countries this is not the case.

My believe is that it should be mandatory to vote. While voting, you will have the option that you do not want to vote, but at least you have taken the effort. After all there may simply not be a party you would consider worth your support. This way the turnout will obviously be much higher, and, more importantly, the actual votes collected also better represent what the general consensus is of the people in the country.

The choices are

An obvious question for the DebateForum moderators/administrator is of course whether it is possible or not to make voting for polls mandatory as well. Could this be done by sending all members an email to which they need to respond?

All my polls will be hidden from the public in order to avoid a biased response. If people want their opinion to be public they have the choice to announce this with a reply in the thread.

Joey

Absolutely not mandatory. We have enough stupid people voting as it is. Make it mandatory and the Dems will own govt. forever.

Absolutely not mandatory. We have enough stupid people voting as it is. Make it mandatory and the Dems will own govt. forever.

Hi GunFora,

Are you saying that you do not want everyone to vote because you are think that the republicans only have a chance to win an election because there is a substantial part of the population that does not vote and would vote for the democrats if they were to vote?

Joey

Hi GunFora,

Are you saying that you do not want everyone to vote because you are think that the republicans only have a chance to win an election because there is a substantial part of the population that does not vote and would vote for the democrats if they were to vote?

Joey

No. What I'm saying is that the vast majority of low-information voters vote Democrat. They're taught to vote for the (D). They don't pay close attention to the facts of any given issue or the candidates. Minorities, college kids, welfare recipients, public and private sector unions and so on.

I don't know, it's just a feeling.
It doesn't seem right and it's hard for me to articulate the "why" of the feeling.

Dude, I don't vote, for anyone, ever.

I do disagree with high voter turn out, just because.
I mean, I don't want someone voting GOP because they're registered and their daddy said to always vote repubs, same goes for anyone else.
It's dumb and does a disservice to everyone.

Someone who never votes doesn't see the benefit of more Americans voting. Not particularly surprising. Why don't you just step out of the way and we'll handle things for you.

As you say, they werent prevented from voting.

Right, just had some hurdles placed in front of them specifically because they were black, because of how blacks vote most of the time in hopes of keeping enough of them home just enough to tip the scales to bring about a different outcome when the votes are counted. As I also said, I think its wrong and is means justify ends ethics (or lack thereof.) And as I further said, it backfired; once word got out that this was part of the GOP strategy, blacks showed up to vote in droves. In fact, I'm persuaded Obama would have never won in 2008 had not Limbaugh motivated Clinton to use McCain's only October Surprise of Jeremiah Wright, bringing out in the open early enough for Obama to recover and making it old news by November. Yes, Obama needs to send Limbaugh a thank you card for getting him elected, IMHO.

Right, just had some hurdles placed in front of them specifically because they were black, because of how blacks vote most of the time in hopes of keeping enough of them home just enough to tip the scales to bring about a different outcome when the votes are counted. As I also said, I think its wrong and is means justify ends ethics (or lack thereof.) And as I further said, it backfired; once word got out that this was part of the GOP strategy, blacks showed up to vote in droves. In fact, I'm persuaded Obama would have never won in 2008 had not Limbaugh motivated Clinton to use McCain's only October Surprise of Jeremiah Wright, bringing out in the open early enough for Obama to recover and making it old news by November. Yes, Obama needs to send Limbaugh a thank you card for getting him elected, IMHO.

So again, your concerns are unfounded. Having 10 days to early vote, instead of 14. One sunday, instead of two sundays, discussion of possible voter suppression, are not barriers to voting. Much like voter IDs are not barriers to voting.

So again, your concerns are unfounded. Having 10 days to early vote, instead of 14. One sunday, instead of two sundays, discussion of possible voter suppression, are not barriers to voting. Much like voter IDs are not barriers to voting.

Unfounded? I never said they intended to stop all blacks from voting. I said the Republican party took efforts to intentionally and deliberately make it somewhat less convenient to one group of Americans, blacks, not with the expectation that all blacks would be blocked from voting but in hopes that turnout/participation will be slightly affected just enough to tip the scales in their favor. THEY were the ones who admitted this along with all the supporting evidence; at least some did while others played stupid.

BTW: I am a very disillusioned registered Republican who in the past has worked hard to get Republicans elected the right way, by persuasion and winning hearts and minds of voters on the issues.

No. Hell No!
It’s a violation of individual freedom.
We (Americans) are not servants of the political system.
I am so sick of these authoritarian and draconian politicians.
What happened to our freedom of choice?
What happened to our freedom of speech?
:mrgreen:

No. Hell No!
It’s a violation of individual freedom.
We (Americans) are not servants of the political system.
I am so sick of these authoritarian and draconian politicians.
What happened to our freedom of choice?
What happened to our freedom of speech?
:mrgreen:

This is slightly tangential to the topic...but it is worth noting:

Once you decide you want to live in society and not all alone in some remote spot...

...you give up more personal freedom than you actually have remaining.

That is just the way society works...and the way it has to work.

The choices are

Joey

Of course not, you cannot force people. But election days should be state/federal holidays.

Of course not, you cannot force people. But election days should be state/federal holidays.

I love your reply! But even on a state holiday some people would still have to work. I t would make it easier for a lot of people to vote though.

The choices are

Joey
Absolutely not. Three reasons...

1) Part of living in a free society includes the freedom to NOT do something if you choose to not do it.

2) I don't want an uninformed person to influence the outcome. If you research and care and still disagree with me, that's fine, but people don't vote now because they don't care and if they don't care they won't educate themselves.

3) Loosely tied to #2, lack of voting already does represent the consensus, and the consensus is that they don't care and are fine with blindly letting others make decisions for them.

I voted Yes. In Australia it is compulsory and I guess I am used to an idea I grew up with. As far as I am concerned it is the responsibility of every citizen of voting age to get off their backsides and vote. If you are a citizen, it is your civic responsibility. People who do not vote have no right to whinge about the results.
Agree, and I tend to dismiss people's opinions if I find out they do not vote. But that's me responding as an individual. I still don't believe that voting should be mandatory.

Unfounded? I never said they intended to stop all blacks from voting. I said the Republican party took efforts to intentionally and deliberately make it somewhat less convenient to one group of Americans, blacks, not with the expectation that all blacks would be blocked from voting but in hopes that turnout/participation will be slightly affected just enough to tip the scales in their favor. THEY were the ones who admitted this along with all the supporting evidence; at least some did while others played stupid.

BTW: I am a very disillusioned registered Republican who in the past has worked hard to get Republicans elected the right way, by persuasion and winning hearts and minds of voters on the issues.

And Im anti-parties period, because all they care about is maintaining power. Im just countering this idea that voter suppression is more concerning than voter apathy. None of it is really concerning.

And Im anti-parties period, because all they care about is maintaining power. Im just countering this idea that voter suppression is more concerning than voter apathy. None of it is really concerning.

Actually, the recent stuff has countered voter apathy. The efforts to discourage voting by making it less convenient that were targeted toward a specific group, ended up motivating them. I'm just shocked at the gall of the GOP for trying it, especially in consideration of the history of terrorism blacks have endured over voting rights in the past. I'm just waiting for someone in the know and with credentials to publicly apologize instead of saying "you're a idiot," "its all in your head," "stop being paranoid," etc.

Back
Top Bottom