• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should turkey be booted out of NATO

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of these days, turkey will drag the rest of us into a conflict which we want no part of

One of these days, turkey will drag the rest of us into a conflict which we want no part of

I think you need to state more points than just one of these days.

Its the other way around- our actions in the middle east is pushing Turkey to all out war.

Absolutely, the sooner the better.

No. The Turkish Straits are one of the most geopolitically important areas in the world; they're why Turkey was brought into NATO in the first place. Kicking Turkey out of NATO would present a prime opportunity for Russia to extend their sphere of influence to a passageway that has been essential since ancient times.

Its the other way around- our actions in the middle east is pushing Turkey to all out war.

Turkey has traditionally tried to behave as a European rather than a Middle Eastern country. Aside from confronting the PKK in its hiding places, Turkey previously had little interest in Middle Eastern politics. It is only with the rise of Erdogan that Turkish foreign policy has pivoted to the Arab World and away from Europe. It is difficult to imagine that the Kemalists would be as heavily invested in Syria as Erdogan.

Turkey is the first line between Europe and the Middle East. You want them looking for new allies?

Turkey has traditionally tried to behave as a European rather than a Middle Eastern country. Aside from confronting the PKK in its hiding places, Turkey previously had little interest in Middle Eastern politics. It is only with the rise of Erdogan that Turkish foreign policy has pivoted to the Arab World and away from Europe. It is difficult to imagine that the Kemalists would be as heavily invested in Syria as Erdogan.

Turkey is pivoting away from Europe not because of Erdogan, but because of the West and its support for terrorists which threaten its existence. Come on, we've been through this already. :roll:

Yes. I don't care if they try to behave European. A country in that part of the world, should imo be far form NATO.

I'm not interested in my tax money having anything to do with pointless Sunni/Shiite wars.

Turkey is pivoting away from Europe not because of Erdogan, but because of the West and its support for terrorists which threaten its existence. Come on, we've been through this already. :roll:

The Kurds hardly threaten Turkey's existence. It's like saying the Basque nationalists threaten Spain's existence, or the IRA threatened Britain's existence, or that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front threatens the Phillippines' existence.

Judging from Turkish history, rather the opposite is true.

Turkish involvement in Syria predates American support for the YPG. There are plenty of valid criticisms of American foreign policy in the Middle East, but that we somehow forced Turkey to back Syrian rebels is not one of them.

Does Turkey support a terrorist orgaisation to terrorise a NATO member with suicide bombs and weapons given by Turkey?

If she does, not only should it be kicked out of NATO, but She must also be sued in international courts by violating treaties.

The ICC and ECHR is waiting for Turkey that arms a terrorist organisation to attack another ally and NATO member.

Turkish involvement in Syria predates American support for the YPG. There are plenty of valid criticisms of American foreign policy in the Middle East, but that we somehow forced Turkey to back Syrian rebels is not one of them.

Turkey is forced to deal with its southern border because Kurdish separatists want to take a big chunk of their country away from them. Do you think any country would just sit by and tolerate that?

Does Turkey support a terrorist orgaisation to terrorise a NATO member with suicide bombs and weapons given by Turkey?

If she does, not only should it be kicked out of NATO, but She must also be sued in international courts by violating treaties.

The ICC and ECHR is waiting for Turkey that arms a terrorist organisation to attack another ally and NATO member.

Uh......yeah, but not in the way you think.

The ICC is probably very interested in all the support Erdogan's regime has given ISIS. In recent days he's had to order the Turkish Air Force to hit ISIS more as opposed to what he was having them do, which was go after the Kurds.

And then there's this incident:

https://pando.com/2015/02/24/the-war-nerd-tomb-raiders-of-kobane/

Was it Turkey that wanted to change all the maps in the ME and created chaos in this region ?

we should quit NATO. let Europe handle its own **** while we build high speed rail / healthcare with the money we save (like they have already done.) we'll still have nukes / a massive peacetime army / homeland security to defend ourselves with.

we should quit NATO. let Europe handle its own **** while we build high speed rail / healthcare with the money we save (like they have already done.) we'll still have nukes / a massive peacetime army / homeland security to defend ourselves with.

Nato means USA,you can never leave it

Turkey is indispensable, especially in the face of the Kremlin's renewed ambitions.

Nato means USA,you can never leave it

sure we can. we just need to elect enough people who recognize that we're better off as a country. admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but it's the best path forward for us, IMO.

sure we can. we just need to elect enough people who recognize that we're better off as a country. admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but it's the best path forward for us, IMO.

true..

Was it Turkey that wanted to change all the maps in the ME and created chaos in this region ?

turkey could drag us into a nuclear war with russia or a war with iran even though we just struck a deal with them

Turkey is forced to deal with its southern border because Kurdish separatists want to take a big chunk of their country away from them. Do you think any country would just sit by and tolerate that?

I wrote:

Turkey merely fighting the YPG would not contradict anything I said. The PKK/YPG threat, however, does not explain why Erdogan arms and trains Syrian rebels to fight Assad or why the Turkish government opposes the Assad regime as harshly on the diplomatic stage as the US does, if not more so.

That has concerned me for quite a while. We call the shots with NATO--it wouldn't even exist without the U.S. I would like to see this country use its decisive influence to expel Turkey from NATO. It has long outlived its usefulness, and it has become a liability.

I would rather see the USA pull out of NATO, and remove all our forces from Europe.

I would also like to see an end to the US Navy patrolling the Med.

Let the Euro's patrol their own geography.

turkey could drag us into a nuclear war with russia or a war with iran even though we just struck a deal with them

USA is such a country ? Weak and stupid ?

Back
Top Bottom