• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Trump shut down the government over the border wall?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many experts say that the border wall will not stop illegals entering the country. It may slow a few down who are trying to make it on their own, but those who pay the coyotes will get here just the same. Why we will spend in the end probably 30-40 billion dollars on a political boondoggle is beyond me. DO you think we shoould build the wall? Do you think it is worth the cost to our economy to have Trump shut down the government to force the building of a wall?

What's the spanish word for "tunnel"?

Trump told the entire nation today on live TV that he will shut down the US government (Merry Christmas government employees) if he doesn't get $5 billion for his border wall.

So alright. I christen thee "Trumps Government Shutdown"

Many experts say that the border wall will not stop illegals entering the country. It may slow a few down who are trying to make it on their own, but those who pay the coyotes will get here just the same. Why we will spend in the end probably 30-40 billion dollars on a political boondoggle is beyond me. DO you think we shoould build the wall? Do you think it is worth the cost to our economy to have Trump shut down the government to force the building of a wall?

Again spin is a wonderful thing. I am referring to the word stop. Clearly nothing will close the spigot totally. The question is will the problem go down by a little or a lot. Also the 30-40 billion dollar number. You nor I know the true number yet you throw it out is it is gospel.

Yes I think we have the right to decide who comes into the country. If the wall helps then great. Lets remember that Trump is not the first president to "build a wall". We already have a have baked structure in some parts built by former presidents.

The 5 billion being talked about now sadly is pocket change in a 4 trillion budget. Just another political stunt which will make for many hours of hand wringing on CNN.

Nothing is 100%

Nothing is 100%

Psssst..... Check this out!

trump-ladder.jpg

Trump told the entire nation today on live TV that he will shut down the US government (Merry Christmas government employees) if he doesn't get $5 billion for his border wall.

If the Democrats would fund the wall, the government wouldn't get shut down.

Should we do away with DUI laws, too? They don't stop 100% of drunk drivers.

You're not pretending are you, you literally can't figure it out can you? :lamo

Well, now I know why Trump got elected.

If it happens - Trump owns it lock stock and smoking barrel.

sorry - that should be "smocking barrel".

No, he shouldn't

Yeah, but that would be a moronic thing to do. Only an idiot would spend $25+ billion on a wall that can be defeated by a $30 ladder. Unfortunately for the USA, Trump is just such an idiot.

Yeah, but that would be a moronic thing to do. Only an idiot would spend $25+ billion on a wall that can be defeated by a $30 ladder. Unfortunately for the USA, Trump is just such an idiot.

Best add a zero to your ladder budget, but I get the idea.

Please proceed, Donald.

Again spin is a wonderful thing. I am referring to the word stop. Clearly nothing will close the spigot totally. The question is will the problem go down by a little or a lot. Also the 30-40 billion dollar number. You nor I know the true number yet you throw it out is it is gospel.

Yes I think we have the right to decide who comes into the country. If the wall helps then great. Lets remember that Trump is not the first president to "build a wall". We already have a have baked structure in some parts built by former presidents.

The 5 billion being talked about now sadly is pocket change in a 4 trillion budget. Just another political stunt which will make for many hours of hand wringing on CNN.

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the...barrier-between-the-united-states-and-mexico/
As you can see, cost estimates run between 12 and 70 billion dollars. I picked an average which would be between 20-40 billion. If you read the whole article you will see that such a wall will not sop smugglers of drugs or people.

I believe even some GOPers will vote against the shutdown over the wall. They will get part of the blame and the 2020 elections will be in less than two years and the Dems will keep reminding people who shut down the government over something stupid like the wall. THe wall may play to Trump's cult, but not to most American's.

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the...barrier-between-the-united-states-and-mexico/
As you can see, cost estimates run between 12 and 70 billion dollars. I picked an average which would be between 20-40 billion. If you read the whole article you will see that such a wall will not sop smugglers of drugs or people.

I read a lot of what we can't do. How about you telling us what you would do to stop this flow of drugs and illegals.

There are about 5-6 billion people who live in worse conditions than those we consider poor in the U.S. Should we transport all of those folks here or only give preference to those who live close enough to sneak in.

Recent polls reflect that Americans want Trump to compromise on the border wall. That will give him the justification he would need to appease his loyal base while conceeding to compromise. That would be the winning move and I think he will jump on it. Who can say? It's Trump. :roll:

Shutting down the government over something 1/2 of America doesn't want to begin with, all the while knowing that most Americans are willing to reason and compromise on, really doesn't offer Trump any value.

Last edited:
Recent polls reflect that Americans want Trump to compromise on the border wall. That will give him the justification he would need to his appease base and conceed to compromise. That would be the winning move and I think he will jump on it. Who can say? It's Trump. :roll:

Shutting down the government over something 1/2 of America doesn't want to begin with, all the while knowing that most Americans are willing to reason and compromise on, really doesn't offer Trump any value.

I have felt for a long time now that the Democrats are handling this all wrong. Pelosi and Schumer should have told Trump that they will be more than happy to pass whatever enabling legislation is needed to facilitate the building of the wall as soon as the money is in hand from Mexico to pay for it as he promised repeatedly would happen.

They did not have an issue with the foolish Barack Hussein Obamas porculus bill that redistributed 800 billion plus.

The Five Biggest Failures From President Obama's Stimulus Law

Staggering hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom