• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Trump pardon himself before he leaves office?

Self pardon?

• Total voters
I would sure as hell trust the security of a mai-in ballot more than a voting machine. At least my vote would be counted by an actual human being.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the voting process is only suspect if the wrong candidate wins.
No it's when States violate laws

Why not give it a try though, I guess.
I voted no because it sets a bad precedent.

but, I think the courts would strike it down anyway.
And I would not put it past him if he really thinks there’s some legal quagmires heading his way
There is more likely to be a prosecution for Federal crimes if the one term mistake pardons himself so I am torn about my answer. It is the only way to "test" the act in the courts and you are right it is a precedent that must not stand. I believe we need to prosecute him either way. He must not be allowed to run for office again ever. He is the most corrupt President in history and we cannot just sweep it under the rug.

You don't seem to care that he was impeached over nonsense you don't find that to be an abuse of our system or is it okay to abuse your system no matter what is long as orange man gets punished?

Trump was accused of crimes. The impeachment is an indictment. Senate decides to punish him or not.

And no, Trump cannot pardon himself. It would be illegal.

Never for anything serious. Certainly not any crimes related to policy.

Democrats have been convicted for fraud and corruption and other felonies.

But you ignore it all.

Trump was accused of crimes. The impeachment is an indictment. Senate decides to punish him or not.
yeah but they didn't convict they didn't have anything

They were just impeaching him for being Trump.
And no, Trump cannot pardon himself. It would be illegal.
then you'd have something valid to impeach him on.

yeah but they didn't convict they didn't have anything

They were just impeaching him for being Trump.
then you'd have something valid to impeach him on.

No they impeached him for committing bribery and extortion. There was more than enough evidence to convict. The GOP simply didnt convict cause they saw Trump as a God.

I want Trump to pardon himself so that he can have one more major legal smackdown.

:)

No they impeached him for committing bribery and extortion.
yeah they failed to make that case. It was largely just a witch hunt.
There was more than enough evidence to convict. The GOP simply didnt convict cause they saw Trump as a God.
so the Republicans are cabal out to get you?

yeah they failed to make that case. It was largely just a witch hunt.
so the Republicans are cabal out to get you?

I think you're projecting, bro.

Trump clearly committed impeachable crimes.

It’s been reported that Trump has discussed a self-pardon for crimes and future crimes he may commit.

he also displayed a sterling understanding of Constitutional law by assuring the public, by tweet, that he had an “absolute right” to pardon himself.

do you think Trump should pardon himself before Wednesday?
The question assumes he’s guilty.

The question assumes he’s guilty.

I mean Trump thinks he’s guilty if he’s mulling a pardon.

btw, any news on pardons? Clocks ticking

Imagine Biden day 1 pardoning Hunter, himself and every person ever mentioned by breitbart, newsmax and fox news as 'corrupt' just because. What would the right say?
That Biden learned a 'trick' from The Donald?

Btw, charges have to be federal...not sure if your 'list' covers only that.

I do not think Trump should Pardon himself, but I think Biden should publicly announce that one of his first
actions as President would be to Pardon Trump, as a way to heal the national divide, and allows us to move forward.
Nah, that's poor parenting and that's what it's come down to.

Good parents dont ignore or condone bad behavior, and Biden certainly shouldnt ignore illegal and/or dangerous behavior. Someone has to be the adult. We have an (exiting, thank God) dangerous leader who's ideas are not founded in reality. See: 2020 election. He's acting like a deviant child.

Discipline has a purpose...to hold kids accountable...and adults when necessary. Disicpline also acts as a deterrent to future bad behavior.

In your post, I see what will likely be the mantra from the right for the next 4 years from when they "dont like something from the Biden administration': "that will just divide us further!"

Good parents dont ignore or condone bad behavior, and Biden certainly shouldnt ignore illegal and/or dangerous behavior. Someone has to be the adult. We have an (exiting, thank God) dangerous leader who's ideas are not founded in reality. See: 2020 election. He's acting like a deviant child.

Discipline has a purpose...to hold kids accountable...and adults when necessary. Disicpline also acts as a deterrent to future bad behavior.

In your post, I see what will likely be the mantra from the right for the next 4 years from when they "dont like something from the Biden administration': "that will just divide us further!"
For four years everyone else was told "**** YOUR FEELINGS!' and now, all the sudden, the right wants us to care about their feelings more than any others.

This the problem with conservative culture. It has a huge sense of entitlement to simply take things like good will and compromise, while never being obligated to return it.

This goes way back. Ford pardoning Nixon did not heal the nation. It simply signaled to Republicans they could commit crimes in high office, then be excused in the name of Democrats not appearing partisan. When Reagan came along with Iran-Contra and HUD and Bush pardoned all the culprits we did hold accountable, the mentality among conservatives that there were no penalties for bad behavior became instilled in them, and now there's a trickle down effect all the way down to its voters, where they are given free reign to disregard all laws they label "unconstitutional" without consequences.

We've enabled them. Yes, I include myself in that.

It’s been reported that Trump has discussed a self-pardon for crimes and future crimes he may commit.

he also displayed a sterling understanding of Constitutional law by assuring the public, by tweet, that he had an “absolute right” to pardon himself.

do you think Trump should pardon himself before Wednesday?

I sure hope he tries it.

It is a very slippery slope, to separate out what actions a past president has taken are simply unpopular, and those that some people see as criminal.
I do not think Trump was a nice person, but I think he won the 2016 election, and attempted to do what he saw as what was best for America.
Before the pandemic, we were heading in the right direction, unemployment was down across the board, in all races,
and the economy was doing well. Our trading partners were not taking advantage of us as much as they were before.
I understand that asking Europe to pay for some of their own security was very unpopular in Europe,
as was the US not providing funding for the Paris Accord, but those things were necessary.
I wish Trump had stayed off Twitted, as it hurt him more than helped him, but the job he did was what he thought was best for the US.
He will leave office today, after a bitter election, where nearly 70 million Americans also thought Trump was doing what he thought was best.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, it would set a bad precedent, to criminally prosecute a former President for decisions made in office.
In our Criminal Justice system, we are to be Judged by a Jury of our peers, The President of the US, only has other Presidents as Peers!

It is a very slippery slope, to separate out what actions a past president has taken are simply unpopular, and those that some people see as criminal.
I do not think Trump was a nice person, but I think he won the 2016 election, and attempted to do what he saw as what was best for America.
Before the pandemic, we were heading in the right direction, unemployment was down across the board, in all races,
and the economy was doing well. Our trading partners were not taking advantage of us as much as they were before.
I understand that asking Europe to pay for some of their own security was very unpopular in Europe,
as was the US not providing funding for the Paris Accord, but those things were necessary.
I wish Trump had stayed off Twitted, as it hurt him more than helped him, but the job he did was what he thought was best for the US.
He will leave office today, after a bitter election, where nearly 70 million Americans also thought Trump was doing what he thought was best.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, it would set a bad precedent, to criminally prosecute a former President for decisions made in office.
In our Criminal Justice system, we are to be Judged by a Jury of our peers, The President of the US, only has other Presidents as Peers!
I still disagree and cant see anything there that disputes this:

Discipline has a purpose...to hold kids accountable...and adults when necessary. Discipline also acts as a deterrent to future bad behavior.
In your post, I see what will likely be the mantra from the right for the next 4 years from when they "dont like something from the Biden administration': "that will just divide us further!"​

A responsible parent or administration or legislative body does NOT ignore or condone unethical and/or criminal behavior. That is a major part of their purpose and obligation.

Back
Top Bottom