• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Trump pardon himself before he leaves office?

Self pardon?

• Total voters

Winston

Give me convenience or give me death
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
It’s been reported that Trump has discussed a self-pardon for crimes and future crimes he may commit.

he also displayed a sterling understanding of Constitutional law by assuring the public, by tweet, that he had an “absolute right” to pardon himself.

do you think Trump should pardon himself before Wednesday?

It’s been reported that Trump has discussed a self-pardon for crimes and future crimes he may commit.

he also displayed a sterling understanding of Constitutional law by assuring the public, by tweet, that he had an “absolute right” to pardon himself.

Oh, I think Donald Trump should go and do many things to himself, Winston. But pardoning himself is not one of them.

Oh, I think Donald Trump should go and do many things to himself, Winston. But pardoning himself is not one of them.

Why not give it a try though, I guess.
I voted no because it sets a bad precedent.

but, I think the courts would strike it down anyway.
And I would not put it past him if he really thinks there’s some legal quagmires heading his way

Why not give it a try though, I guess.
I voted no because it sets a bad precedent.

but, I think the courts would strike it down anyway.
And I would not put it past him if he really thinks there’s some legal quagmires heading his way

Well, certainly. Why not? If he can possibly immunize himself from prosecution at the Federal level for possibly violating Federal election interference laws as well as criminal incitement, it certainly stands to reason. But do I think he should? No. Both for moral reasons and the fact that I want to see him criminally prosecuted, and for the fact that I believe that such an act would be legally futile. The of course, a Court (possibly the Supreme Court) would have to rule on the matter once he does it and if it is challenged.

Sure...he can try.

An admission of his wrong-doing would be great.

If it succeeds or not...the admission would be the point. He'll face lots of other consequences after Jan 20....

Don't much care. The really interesting charges will be filed in Manhattan by the New York DA's office.

You obviously have no idea how pardons work.

He should absolutely do that. There is nothing to be lost from making the left create a constitutional crisis.

i wouldn't be surprised if he tried.

Unfortunatly for him there is nothing he can pardon himself from before his presidency ends, it will pile up afterwards

Unfortunatly for him there is nothing he can pardon himself from before his presidency ends, it will pile up afterwards

I’m afraid so, mate.
But, we do live in a country where the rich and powerful are shielded. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Feds decided to “turn the page”

I’m afraid so, mate.
But, we do live in a country where the rich and powerful are shielded. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Feds decided to “turn the page”
Yeah, Biden seems to be on that page, but I do believe that the Republicans would want Trump to be occupied in court so that he can't break their party to pieces. They might put pressure on Biden to in his turn put pressure on the legal system, and even be willing to support Biden in some case in order to get it done.

Yes. He should pardon himself and all of his supporters and associates.

I guess he was thinking of making a "Putin" so that he could feel more equal to his idol...

What he seems to have forgotten is that it was the other way around in Russia and Putin had no role in it. The communist party tried to make coup that was stopped by massive public protests led by Jeltsin. Jeltsin himself was present during those protests and they took place outside(not inside) the the Russian equivalent of the Capitol.

Putins way to power has been through hard and efficiantly take control inside the party and through killing or planting evidence for crimes on his opponents. He is everything a maffiaboss is.

He should absolutely do that. There is nothing to be lost from making the left create a constitutional crisis.

How would it create a constitutional crises?

How would it create a constitutional crises?
If the power of a pardon is absolute, as the constitution clearly says, then any attempt to prosecute him would create precedent that would show that our current constitution is no longer in effect, which would show that our government is now pure force and the only question is who is wielding it.

you reckon Biden will pardon him?

i don't know. however, doing something like that in the name of "national healing" wouldn't shock me that much.

Oh...it must be a new week. Guess I lost track of time. It's Winston's turn to start a useless thread about a nonsense topic. Winston even includes a reference to "It's been reported" nonsense, but he didn't even bother to include a link to some reported nonsense. (getting lazy, I suspect) Heck, it's a rumor anyway, why go through the trouble to link to an article with the rumor, eh?

Anyway, in answer to your question, HELL YEAH!!! Trump should pardon himself and EVERYONE who is, was or might be sometime in the next hundred years, involved on the wrong side of judicial system proceedings.

If the power of a pardon is absolute, as the constitution clearly says, then any attempt to prosecute him would create precedent that would show that our current constitution is no longer in effect, which would show that our government is now pure force and the only question is who is wielding it.

Good lord... The drama.. There is a legitimate question of whether a president can pardon himself. Is every court case involving the president a constitutional crisis?

He can try (and probably will). Won’t work, though. It’s also really likely he’ll pardon the insurrectionists. That’ll be bad because those pardons will work, but we’re just two days before he’s finally gone from office and it’ll be over soon.

Yes. He should pardon himself and all of his supporters and associates.

No court will accept a self-pardon. It will be tossed out.

Back
Top Bottom