• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Trump Be Impeached?

Should Trump be Impeached like John Dean says?

• No, committing felonies shouldn't be an impeachable offense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where there's Smock (sic) there's fire.

Oh OK, I’m sorry. But now if Trump starts talking about Obama’s Kenyan birth certificate again for another six years straight- why I’m sure that will be very well reasoned, right?

You're going dwnhill with that response. I'm trying not to be critical but you don’t have any idea
what you’re talking about....I mean none. Why do you keep trying?

Not at all I think summed up the reasons why the President is being criminally implicated as having participated in a criminal conspiracy rather nicely. Even it was not your true intention to do so.

Sum this up. Having a NDA to prevent embarrassing info to become public is not a crime. It shpuld be a crime for congressmen & the MSM to try
to influence the slower segments of society that it is a crime!

So wait, let me get this straight. Let's say it turns out that Trump ordered his lawyer to do illegal things despite being told they were illegal. Let's say it turns out that he and his aids worked closely with the Russians to rig the 2016 elections. Let's say there is Kompromat and it turns out that the Russians have him by the balls because they have some really nasty dirt on him. Let's say it becomes clear that he obstructed justice at the FBI and other levels of the government.

These are all very real possibilities at this point.

So, for Dems to have "scruples", they would just have to shut up about all of it and take it like a man? Is that what you think is best for the country?

I just want you to listen to yourself for a minute. You sound like someone in a delirious fever and speaking incoherently. To recap: you may have a puppet regime installed by a hostile foreign power in your country. You may have a president running your country who could be a foreign agent. And you want everyone to just be quiet about it and take it? Because anything else would be unscrupulous?

And yet Obama was bad and a dangerous liar because once, in his attempts to increase healthcare coverage for all Americans, he said if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor, and you saw someone interviewed on Fox News who couldn't? That's so much worse?

Seriously?

:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud Thank you.

So long as Trump used his own money, and there is zero evidence otherwise, there was no crime. Cohen is guilty, though, of selling access to Trump, which is a crime.

It does happen to be illegal to do payoffs in order to throw an election. That's what the charge is.

He shouldn't be impeached unless there is a reasonable chance he will be voted out of office in the Senate, which is not likely.

If it doesn't force him out of office, it will have been a waste of resources and will wrongfoot the opposition going into 2020.

A failed impeachment effort is good for Trump. No matter how much evidence is uncovered if the GOP members of the Senate won't act on it, it's just a distraction.

Disagree. If there is ample cause for impeachment, he should be impeached.

If Republicans Senators chose to protect him against ample evidence, it will be at their respective perils. 44% of Republican Senators face re-election in 2020. God have mercy on their souls if they don't vote correctly in the eyes of their states.

We need impeachment because each Republican Senator needs to be on the record. They have enabled Trump with their cowardly silence, it needs to go in the permanent record for future generations to see.

Again, this is dependent upon just how scathing the Mueller report / indictments actually are.

It does happen to be illegal to do payoffs in order to throw an election. That's what the charge is.

Paying off a hooker ain't throwing an election. Harvesting votes should be a crime, though.

Paying off a hooker ain't throwing an election. Harvesting votes should be a crime, though.

Isn't that what they do on college campuses in their attempts to register voters?

Correct and agreed.

However, paying for people to be silent to avoid embarrassing information (I.E. adulterous affairs) is a violation campaign finance laws. The same ones John Edwards faced, but the prosecution couldn't make their case due to the excessive timeline involved (over a year IIRC). In Trump's case, it was within a month. Still, the prosecution will have to provide sufficient evidence to make their case. One witness (Cohen) isn't enough because that's just He said/He said.
BTW, even if SCOTUS and/or Congress says a sitting President can't be indicted, those charges and an orange jumpsuit will be waiting for Trump in 2021.
prison.gif

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...inance-law-violations/?utm_term=.cf4687ee567e
Late Friday, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York filed a document arguing that Michael Cohen, until last year President Trump’s personal attorney, should receive a substantial prison sentence for violations of federal law to which Cohen admitted guilt in August.

The document went further than simply articulating the punishment the government believes Cohen should receive. It also fleshed out two of those charges in particular, related to violations of campaign finance laws in 2016. For the first time, government prosecutors themselves directly implicated Trump in those violations — and added new alleged evidence to bolster Cohen’s culpability.

Disagree. If there is ample cause for impeachment, he should be impeached.

If Republicans Senators chose to protect him against ample evidence, it will be at their respective perils. 44% of Republican Senators face re-election in 2020. God have mercy on their souls if they don't vote correctly in the eyes of their states.

We need impeachment because each Republican Senator needs to be on the record. They have enabled Trump with their cowardly silence, it needs to go in the permanent record for future generations to see.

Again, this is dependent upon just how scathing the Mueller report / indictments actually are.

If he's impeached but not removed from office, it makes the democrats look every bit as hapless as they have been accused of being. It legitimizes the witch hunt accusations.

A few months of really bitter congressional battles with nothing to show for it except an exhausted, disheartened base is not a recipe for electoral success in my book.

Never mind the victory lap that outcome would provide to Trump.

I think we'd like the results better if we spent that time and clout rallying around a candidate that presents better policy more articulately than Trump, though that this moment I have no idea who that would be.

If he's impeached but not removed from office, it makes the democrats look every bit as hapless as they have been accused of being. It legitimizes the witch hunt accusations....

Is that your opinion of the Republicans in 1998? How do you feel the Starr investigation of Whitewater compares to the Mueller investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election?

Agreed 100% on rallying around better candidates. In 2016 we have the two most deplorable candidates in living history. I couldn't hold my nose long enough to vote for either one so I voted third party but I understand why most people picked the lesser of two evils.

Is that your opinion of the Republicans in 1998? How do you feel the Starr investigation of Whitewater compares to the Mueller investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election?

Agreed 100% on rallying around better candidates. In 2016 we have the two most deplorable candidates in living history. I couldn't hold my nose long enough to vote for either one so I voted third party but I understand why most people picked the lesser of two evils.

I wasn't paying especially close attention back then, but even so you might as well be talking about 1812. The world was a different place then.

The republicans didn't exactly walk away from that looking strong, though we did end up with W in 2000.

I wasn't paying especially close attention back then, but even so you might as well be talking about 1812. The world was a different place then.

The republicans didn't exactly walk away from that looking strong, though we did end up with W in 2000.

Different in 1812, yes. 1998, no. Let's not forget that the major economic problems that popped up with the banks, housing and auto companies in 2008 had their roots in the 1980s. Many of the problems and controversies we see today existed in the 1990s; gays, guns, abortion, the budget, big government vs states rights, etc.

NO

Even some rational Democrats think that it would be a bad idea.

We once impeached (but did not convict) one president for firing a cabinet member even though there was a law then that prohibited him from doing so.
We once scared a president into resigning lest he be impeached.
We once impeached (but did not convict) a president because he did not tell the truth about doing something naughty in the Oval Office.

I think that President Trump would resign if he was convinced that he would be impeached by the House and even convicted by the (Republican) Senate.

Then I would hope that a President Pence would grant him a pardon.

And then in 2020, maybe the Republicans and enough Independents would be so outraged that the Democrats had chased Mr. Trump out of the White House that they would turn out in droves to elect the Republican candidate (assuming, of course, that the election were free of non-citizen voters).

Last edited:
NO

Even some rational Democrats think that it would be a bad idea.

We once impeached (but did not convict) one president for firing a cabinet member even though there was a law then that prohibited him from doing so.
We once scared a president into resigning lest he be impeached.
We once impeached (but did not convict) a president because he did not tell the truth about doing something naughty in the Oval Office.

I think that President Trump would resign if he was convinced that he would be impeached by the House and even convicted by the (Republican) Senate.

Then I would hope that a President Pence would grant him a pardon.

And then in 2020, maybe the Republicans and enough Independents would be so outraged that the Democrats had chased Mr. Trump out of the White House that they would turn out in droves to elect the Republican candidate (assuming, of course, that the election were free of non-citizen voters).

If the Republican senators turned on Trump & ousted him from office do you really think Rep. supporters would vote for the RINO's who
are contemplating to run against Trump in 2020 namely Kasich or Flake or even Ryan & Romney who desire the office but at this point,
are lying low in the weeds. I never would, 2020 would be a disaster for Republicans if Trump is dumped with the help of
the necessary amount of Republican senators.

Back
Top Bottom